Is anyone else using a Marshall MG100HCFX?

EvilGeek

Just picked up a Marshall MG100HCFX head and matching cab for a good price, but I'm not "bonding" with the amp. The clean channel is sparkling and crisp, but the dirty channels sound like the South end of a Northward advancing Yak.

I'm playing a new SE CU24 through it, and it makes the SE hot, fat, and screaming pickup sound more like it's hot, fat, and mumbling.

I've tried with and without damping, with the bass anywhere between 10:00 and 2:00, mids between 10:00 and 2:30 or so, treble from 10:30 to 2:00, and gain anywhere from 9:00 to 3:00. I realize the MG series aren't stellar, rock-your-world amps, but it should provide a playable tone. Unless anyone with experience has some suggestions, I think this poor thing is going back, and I'll just continue saving for the 2 channel H.

So I am thinking it could be the speakers. If you have another speaker cab around maybe try it out with that cab. If not, there are a lot of playable decent amps in that price range.

Operator error strikes again. :(

Just needed to push the power amp a little harder. In an attempt to maintain a happy marriage I was trying to manage the overall volume of the amp with the master volume, and I had the channel volume dimed. I'm not sure why that seemed like a good idea. Rolled back the channel volume, cranked the master, and finally got to spend more time playing guitar than fiddling with knobs.

:redface:

it's definitely the gain channel, i had the MG50FX (close enough i guess?) and it just won't do it with the gain too high up. I rolled back the gain, kept the channel volume knob at moderate to low, then rely on the master volume to get the right volume. EQ-wise, I like to keep the bass low, maybe around 10:00 to 12:00, mids are always at 12:00, treble high up around like, 3:00. Turning on the damping actually gives a more modern sound. I noticed the mids sound slightly scooped with the damping on (or was it the bass and treble responses were more emphasised, I'm not exactly sure) It clears up the sound a lot, and I used to think my amp was too dark for the high gain stuff!

Back