Is anybody else's Vela really light? Like REALLY light?

phillybri

Mine feels like it's made of air! This is a seriously great guitar with a ton of style, playbility and (most importantly) TONE!!!

How can it sound so damn good and weigh what I have to guess is less than 6 pounds???

Magic?

o-MAGIC-900.jpg

Mine is not THAT light, but it is the lightest of all yet very close to the satin 22 at around 7.5 lbs, roughly, don't remember exactly.

Btw, Les, hope that could not be considered as the Immaculate Reception!

Same thing with my Mira, it's so light that I can play standing up for hours with just a normal strap. And yet the darn thing just rings for days. I love Les Pauls but every time I pick one up the weight just seems crazy. Yeah, PRS spoiled me.

I don't remember being particularly blown away by its lightness when I picked one up at the 30th shindig, but in terms of light, I compare every solid body guitar (hollowbodies don't count, obviously) to the Parker Fly Deluxe (I think it averages at 4.5 lbs.).

I don't have one but played a gold one in a store that's really light. The store said it's just over 5 pounds. I didn't plug it in but it was very resonant. I think it's still there so if anyone in NC/SC is interested, go to Guitars USA in Lexington, NC. (I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just a customer.)

Mine is light, but not super light. I'd guess 7.5 lbs? But it is a killer guitar, really comefortable to play, seated or standing.

I don't have one but played a gold one in a store that's really light. The store said it's just over 5 pounds. I didn't plug it in but it was very resonant. I think it's still there so if anyone in NC/SC is interested, go to Guitars USA in Lexington, NC. (I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just a customer.)
I was actually up there a couple weeks back. If it's the same one, it's really nice! I went up there because they have a pretty good stock of S2s. I liked the Vela a lot but I ended up going for the S2 Custom 24.

Mine weighs exactly 6.5 lbs...and that's after the addition of a few "bells and whistles" by the PTC...

Mine weighs exactly 6.5 lbs...and that's after the addition of a few "bells and whistles" by the PTC...

Looks like you got the "quarter Vernon" treatment.

(A "full Vernon" adds EMGs, Floyd, and hard-V neck shape to the Roland-ization.)

I generally prefer and seek out lighter guitars. For comfort, and in my experience, they tend to resonate and sing nicer than the heavier counterparts. Not an absolute truth, as every guitar is a unique instrument.
I'm not a believer in the old opinion that heavier guitars sustain better.

My Mira X comes in right around 6, righteous guitar. Although it does sound very different from my other PRSi, brighter especially in the neck pickup which sounds very close to a single coil. Great blues axe.

Hey, I just bought that gold Vela and had it shipped down to me in Charlotte. I had seen it on eBay the day you posted, and your post about how light and resonant it was pushed me over the edge to pick up the phone. I un-boxed it during lunch today. It weighs 5 lbs. 8 oz., and feels like a damn feather! My #1 is a Wood Library DGT, and this thing makes that one feel portly. :) I didn't have time to plug it in, but it plays really nice, and is indeed extremely resonant and comfy. I can't wait to dig into it tonight.

Also, I want to say that Guitars USA provided excellent customer service. I had the owner on the phone, and he took his time talking to me about the guitar (and guitars in general), his store, etc., and actually put it on a digital scale while he had me on the line. He was extremely nice and gave me a solid price. They also made sure it was set up nice with the strings I like, and threw in a spare set for free! There was an initialed paper inspection checklist included, and it's obvious they didn't just shove it in the box and label it. They did all of that and had it in my hands inside of 24 hours. I'm impressed! I'd definitely encourage anyone shopping to give them a look. I usually buy PRS from Brian's Guitars in CT, but it's great to have a good option closer to home.

Back