Is a Wood Library top a 10 top?

Chuck J

I have seen wood library guitars with and without the "10" on the back of the headstock.
Are some w.l. guitars 10 top and some not? I'm confused. Can anyone clarify? Thank you.

Wood Library guitars are simply guitars that Authorized Dealers do as special runs.. They do not necessarily have to be 10 tops, It's the dealer's choice.. There are actually a ton of Wood Library guitars that are solid colors as well, Mostly see the solid colors on CE24's..

I don’t know, is this a 10 top? It’s wood library but not marked as a 10.

126331708.jpg

Never mind the fact that if it’s an Artist Top (one grade above 10-top) then it will not indicate anything on the back of the headstock. If there’s no ten on that one, I’d say it’s an Artist top.

126331708.jpg

I would NOT kick that guitar out of bed, 10 Top or not!! Why they do not mark the artist series with a special headstock indicator is beyod me ;~)) I would call it artist grade, but if it is not (and not marked as a 10 Top) I would say it is due to the area to the left of the treble pickup. Slight dead area there and from what they say, 10 Tops have no dead spots of grain. If you ever wanted to sell it, I would be enthusiastically interested ;~))

Don't worry about it! I've seen plenty of regular tops that look to me like they should be private stock and vice versa (and everything in between). You may pay more for the label but it's up to you whether one top is better than the next - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Back