Is a tuner change absolutely necessary on SE models

tomsy49

I just bought a PRS SE custom 24 30th Anniversary model on clearance and have read that many change the tuners for better stability. Are the tuners an issue on almost all SE models or is it a case by case basis?

No you don't have to. The tuning instability (if any) can usually be remedied by swapping the nut, or filing the nut slots.

If there is no issue, then no - you don't need to change anything.

I just bought a PRS SE custom 24 30th Anniversary model on clearance and have read that many change the tuners for better stability. Are the tuners an issue on almost all SE models or is it a case by case basis?
I could see doing it if you use the trem heavily but like Danerada, I would definitely swap the nut first. They're sometimes cut badly, which can cause string binding. This is especially true if you've gone up in string gauge from the stock 9s. I'd replace the nut first and have it setup first, and then try new tuners if you're still having troubles.

No. The tuners are high quality and stable. If you aren't experiencing tuning stability issues, leave it be. And the stock nut isn't bad, but if you have a little sticking, dress the nut well and it should be good. If you gig it and want dead-nuts stability and intonation, replace it with a USA nut. Locking tuners are a must for quick stage string changes, otherwise...

No it isn't necessary at all. However, I swapped the tuners on my santana se with gotoh locking tuners. They have a higher gear ration , and also I love the convenience of changing strings with locking tuners.

Last edited:
No. While I have changed-out almost all tuners on my SE's, I did so for fun. I have never had one fail or perform poorly.

Good to know! What is the best product to lubricate a nut? I don't have nut files but I may just go take it for a setup as I usually use 10's but haven't tried 9's so maybe I will like a lighter guage.

I have the same model and had no tuning stability issues with the stock tuners. I switched to locking tuners simply because I prefer them and makes changing the string easier/quicker.

Good to know! What is the best product to lubricate a nut? I don't have nut files but I may just go take it for a setup as I usually use 10's but haven't tried 9's so maybe I will like a lighter guage.
I'm not qualified to tell you the "best" nut lube. I use Nut Sauce. Seems to work just fine.

File your nut? Why? You don't need to file the nut slots to drop from 10's to 9's.

Definitely not necessary. They don't have the best ratio or feel in my opinion, but they're solid. I generally swapped them just because I prefer locking and a higher gear ratio.

The nuts are hit and miss in my experience.

I had someone file my nut (SE Custom 24) for 10s, but I think I would have been better off just buying a new US PRS (or another brand). It binds a bit after he worked on it, and I think it cost as much as a new nut anyway.

I still have the stock tuners on it by the way. Any tuning issues I think are coming from the nut.

When I got my SE it was almost unplayable without putting Grover locking tuners on it.
It's absolutely essential and something they should fit as standard.

I've never once replaced tuning machines on a guitar. If tuning stability issues are occurring, they are almost always found elsewhere. On my old Ibanez SIlver Series (lawsuit) Stratocaster, the issue was the bridge saddles. I replaced them with roller saddles, rebalanced the tremolo arm, and never had a tuning issue again. Oh, I also put a graphite nut on that guitar.

I have only had all of my tuners on the SEs replaced due to the convenience of the Planet Waves AutoTrim feature and easy string changes.

I changed the ones on my Santana SE for Grovers. I also put a TUSQ nut on it, and that did a lot more for tuning stability. The Grovers have a better tuning feel, but also a allow for much easier string changes. And they added a little stability as well.

But, as others have said, the nut is really where must stability problems live. I tried opening up the slots in the stock one when I switched to 10s, and it still never worked quite right. The TUSQ one was an easy fix.

Interesting. I haven't replaced any of the tuners on any of my SEs and they are quite playable.
Same here, although when I ordered my SE's from Sweetwater I specified 10's and asked them to "massage" the nuts to make sure there were no tuning issues. So far, so good. If I ever do put locking tuners on them, it will be purely for convenience of string changing. But the stock tuners are just fine, IMO.

Back