Is a Silver Sky Wood Library Run Plausible?

colinkanders

Compulsive Noodler
I want a Silver Sky, but I like the look of wood grain on my guitars. What do you think the chances are that a dealer would do a Wood Library run with, for example, a natural smokeburst satin finish (*wink wink*)? Or would that be going too far for WL and have to be Private Stock?

At some point, maybe. Shawn has chimed in more than once that the SS is not available as a PS, or anything other than the way it is now. Fingers crossed that it happens, at some point.

I think they should go all out with options for the SS. Anderson & Suhr do it on their superstrats (and not as well either). PRS invented the extra good looking guitar, they should show them who's boss.

I think they should go all out with options for the SS. Anderson & Suhr do it on their superstrats (and not as well either). PRS invented the extra good looking guitar, they should show them who's boss.
I'm sure they will eventually, but right now, they can't make them fast enough for all the orders they get. PRS is definitely in an enviable position, where they have a fairly significant manufacturing capability yet it still isn't enough. And they know that while expanding would help, it would also hinder in the short term, as it would be a distraction and slow things down while the expanded team got trained. And if they expand and then the market falls flat for some reason...ouch.

I'm just glad they finally started making them with maple FBs - I got mine on order right away, and I'm still probably looking at an April delivery.

First off, it’s a signature guitar, and my guess is that changes require the artist’s buy-off. Changes to the wood are going to change the tone; again, that would require artist’s permission.

Seems to me that PRS has achieved symbiosis with John Mayer. He has very specific ideas about this guitar. PRS would be making a big mistake to push the envelope too far on that.

i don’t know, john mayer is just some player, and prs could certainly do a run of non-jm branded silver skies in natural walnut or heaven forbid antigua. in the end it’s based on a ‘63 fender, not john mayer’s childhood dreams.

Anything is possible, but I think they’d be spreading themselves a little too thin. It’s still kind of an experimental foray and they’re apparently doing well with the cookie cutter thing so why mess with it until you have to? Most people buying PRS and wanting that level of customization are going to go with a carved top core model. If I was going with a custom slab guitar I’d go Fender CS, Tom Anderson, or Suhr... the Silver Sky wouldn’t even be on my list :)

Eventually everything will open up for the silver sky and you will see so many out there and options. This guitar is getting so much attention it is ridiculous. It is because the guitar is amazing!

I had no interest in the silver sky, I have been eyeing the right Fender Strat for a years now, I found a few and eventually sold them because of money and it wasn’t just right. Moreover, when PRS came out with, I said, why? Just get a Fender. What is the point? Until I played it and heard it, the damn guitar is amazing. This guitar is going to put a dent into the Fender bank account. I only want a silver sky now and will look for a Strat somewhere down the road.

Last edited:
There’s a pretty sweet PS Vela with a flamed maple top AND a maple board in PRS’ Instagram today. I guess it’s certainly possible down the line. It took two years to come out with a maple board for the SS, a pretty standard option for this type guitar, so I’m not holding my breath for a PS anytime soon.

I would like a classic color like surf green though. Give me an excuse to buy a second one! Ah hell, I’m buying a maple board to keep my rosewood company anyway, who am I kidding...

Back