Is a dry fretboard overall bad?? Like can it crack??

Russ73

My new Vela has a pretty dry fretboard...its light on color and I can see the Preston the rosewood but it doesn't really bother me....should I be concerned though?? All my other prs have darker greasier fretboards....thoughts...

All fingerboards should be oiled LIGHTLY on a regular basis (once per year). Dunlop makes service kits with different cleaners and conditioning oil. Too dry, the frets can become dislodged, but too much oil and they can become dislodged too. PRS uses superglue on their core models to keep the frets in place but I wouldn't rely on that exclusively. This is something I keep in mind when it comes to how many guitars do I own.... how many do I want to be servicing and replacing strings on every year?

Just give it a coat of lemon oil, or similar. I like the Dunlop 65 lemon oil for really dry fretboards. Works really well on new builds where you’re working with freshly sanded and untreated fretboards.

Apply, leave for a minute, then wipe off the excess. Simple as that. No fancy products required. Don’t soak the wood and just leave it. You can always reapply, but I would wait at least a few days to let it properly absorb before thinking of doing it again. I recently completed a laurel fretboard and that needed several applications over the course of the build (three months) to bring it to life.

Back