Is a DGT still a DGT if ????

Is a DGT still a DGT if you swap out the pups

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on the pickups that you use

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Harker have you lost your Mind?? Seriously step away from the herb garden!!!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does it matter? Do what you want with it and make that guitar yours Craig!

No it's not, it's something more personal to you. A DGT is stock, as DG himself would want it.

Hmmm...

The artist guitars ARE supposed to be set up to suit that artist. Once you start changing things, you move increasingly away from that artist's vision. So, it becomes a user modified DGT.

A related question would be for a model that is closely associated with just one or a very few designers within PRS like a McCarty or the MEI which I understood to be largely the baby of PRSh. When you start modding them, are they still McCartys and MEIs?

This also ties in with Han's thread about not being afraid to play and modify your guitar...

Neck, frets, body, electronics layout......yep, still a DGT. A Les Paul is certainly still a Les Paul regardless of pickup changes, after all.

Neck, frets, body, electronics layout......yep, still a DGT. A Les Paul is certainly still a Les Paul regardless of pickup changes, after all.

This is mostly true... The DGT walks the line, because unlike the production Les Pauls we all know and love, the DGT had every detail scrutinized by Dave himself. Les did not even care so much for sunbursts or humbuckers, or even wood that had resonance. He liked goldtop or black beauty p90 gibsons and in the end like the "recording" model which had different impedance and everything. Les didn't mind keeping his name on the guitar that took a design left turn from Ted McCarty, and then an even harder left turn with the SG era. All this being said, Dave doesn't take issue with runs of DGT's with stoptails, or 59/09 neck pickups, or Private Stocks. Matter of fact, his fave as of late is a PS with a pern neck instead of mahogany. My goldtop has a 57/08 BRIDGE pickup reverse mounted in the NECK position. I consider it a DGT of course(though I will never sell the grissom bass pickup, and maybe it will even get remounted some day). What I will say is that if the CORE DGT model offering by PRS did anything different than the exact specs it has now, and Dave did not agree it helped the model in his eyes(and ears), he would not let his name be put on it. He put his heart and soul into that guitar design to make sure it was EXACTLY what he wanted and would play, and it is a fantastic equation. If Les had that kind of leverage back in the day, we might all be playing guitars with different impedance right now. :wink:

I think of it kinda like citizenship. Born as a DGT always a DGT but, the DGT pickups are relatively unique in the PRS line and if you change them out there is something fundamentally different, not necessarily better or worse just different, from the stock design. It's DNA has been altered a bit if you will making it something slightly different. That said, you can always go home again by putting the Grissom pickups back in there. Bottom line is that it is a supremely playable instrument and there is more to it than just the pickups. Just my $0.02.

I loved having first generation 57/08s in my DGT for the past few years. Back in April, Len Johnson put my original birdge back in - the 57/08 is still in the neck. They're a perfect combination. Still a DGT!:D

Back