Is a 20" Radius Too Much?

anorexemon

Hey guys!

Today, I played a Custom 24 Floyd SE. I really love the feel of the neck. I have a Mark Holcomb SE on order, which more or less has the same neck style, but has a fretboard that's twice as flat (10" on the Floyd vs. 20" on the Mark Holcomb). I've been a bit concerned about this difference for a while now.

I currently have an Ibanez with a 15.75" radius, and I hate it. But I think what I hate about it is the neck shape itself rather than the flat fretboard. When I pick up a Les Paul, or something with a thicker neck - like the Custom 24 - I feel at home.

So my question to you guys is: if I decide to go ahead with the Mark Holcomb model, what differences can I expect between the Custom 24 and it?

Sadly, stores around me don't have any 20" radius guitars that I can get my hands on.

Hey guys!

Today, I played a Custom 24 Floyd SE. I really love the feel of the neck. I have a Mark Holcomb SE on order, which more or less has the same neck style, but has a fretboard that's twice as flat (10" on the Floyd vs. 20" on the Mark Holcomb). I've been a bit concerned about this difference for a while now.

I currently have an Ibanez with a 15.75" radius, and I hate it. But I think what I hate about it is the neck shape itself rather than the flat fretboard. When I pick up a Les Paul, or something with a thicker neck - like the Custom 24 - I feel at home.

So my question to you guys is: if I decide to go ahead with the Mark Holcomb model, what differences can I expect between the Custom 24 and it?

Sadly, stores around me don't have any 20" radius guitars that I can get my hands on.
Jimmy Herrin’s White Strat is a 20”

My honest assessment is.. depends on what/how you play. Most of my PRSi have 12" standard radius. The Holcomb definitely feels flatter and maybe, combined with the flatness and the "sharper" edging/transition to the back of neck, seems a little more difficult for me to play full barre chords. For soloing and anything but full barre chords, it's fine. Again, I don't change my neck strap height and tend to have my guitar slung low so maybe bringing it higher up would help the feeling/sensation but I never gave it much thought as I tend to switch guitars for specific songs.

Again, YMMV and everyone's hands and guitar positioning is different. Give it a try!

PS. I LOVE the bridge on the Holcomb! Super stable and comfy.

My honest assessment is.. depends on what/how you play. Most of my PRSi have 12" standard radius. The Holcomb definitely feels flatter and maybe, combined with the flatness and the "sharper" edging/transition to the back of neck, seems a little more difficult for me to play full barre chords. For soloing and anything but full barre chords, it's fine. Again, I don't change my neck strap height and tend to have my guitar slung low so maybe bringing it higher up would help the feeling/sensation but I never gave it much thought as I tend to switch guitars for specific songs.

Again, YMMV and everyone's hands and guitar positioning is different. Give it a try!

PS. I LOVE the bridge on the Holcomb! Super stable and comfy.
The Holcomb bridge is awesome.

The radius kinda throws me for a loop visually - almost looks concave. But I'm not a good enough player to mind the feel.

I had to let mine go. It wasn't the radius, so much, as I've had that on another guitar. It was either the shoulders, or the depth, for me. I couldn't get past the cramping/forearm pain. May have nothing to do with the guitar, and more to do with typing on the computer all day, every day. Great guitar though. Great satin neck, awesome pickups, and a cool bridge!

Hey guys!

PRS needs to offer compound radius boards. IDK why they don't. IDEK if I've ever played one

At any rate, seems like the smart thing to do

Back