Is 60-cycle hum normal for coil tap position using both PUs?

57Strat777

This is a 1999 CE-22 with the PRS Dragon II pickups. I had my tech get rid of the 5-way rotary and rewire to a 3-way toggle with a push/pull on the tone control. When I pull the tone control knob to tap the coil and put the 3-way selector in the middle position, I hear 60-cycle hum. Is 60-cycle hum normal with the 3-way in the middle position and the coil tapped? My tech used the "current" from the below diagram.
https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom3waytoggle.pdf

PRS Customer Service also gave me these instructions for the rewire:
"On one of the pickups the black is hot and the white is ground, on the other pickup the white is hot and the black is ground. It doesn’t matter which pickup you start with, as long as the black and white wires are opposite on the other pickup. On both pups the red wire is the tap wire."

The reason I ask is I have another PRS guitar (91 CE-24) with the 3-way switch and push/pull tone control, but with Lindy Fralin 4 wire pickups, and there is no 60-cycle hum when the 3-way is in the middle position and the coil tapped.

Last edited:
Hmm, it does sound like the tap may need to be reversed on one of the pickups.

As long as the pickups are wired exactly as shown in that diagram, you shouldn't get much hum with tapped coils. The statement from PRS CS is true, but could have led your tech to wire it up a bit wrong - it is almost better to ignore the CS statement. Double check that both black wires from the pups go the to switch, and both whites and both reds from the pups go to the push-pull tone, to the specified terminals.

I took it back to the tech today. He said he misread the diagram originally. He fixed it. All is good now. Thanks for the reply!

Back