Introduce yourself!

Anyone can join no matter your depth of insanity! Lol I have been there since 2014. I am the only active female there. Most of the guys have been very accepting of me and there have been a few idiots. I had no problem putting them in there places though.

And yes....,very proud to say I am Canadian!

There’s a lot of goofing about in here, but most of us are decent folk.

Veinbuster my whole childhood summers were spent at the cottage. Carefree and so much fun. Just had to watch out for bears. We could swim in the river at leisure. We used to travel to the French River for overnight excursions. What a great memory. My father taught us a lot of outdoor skills. If I had to I think I could survive outdoors for a few days if I had to part in thx to my dad.

I live on Lake Nipissing for a few years. I now live less than half a mile from the street that eventually runs along the north shore of Lake Nipissing - it’s a very long street.
Does this mean you're no longer near the lake?

Does this mean you're no longer near the lake?
I am now a bit over 300km from Lake Nipissing. I’ve lived on a river for ages, and cycle to a different lake. Lake Nipissing is great for fishing, but the lake on the other side of North Bay is much nicer: Trout Lake - deep, cold and clean, and you can canoe from there to the Atlantic Ocean.

But, I am very close to the natural route for you to take to or from Lake Nipissing.

That's a beautiful area Lola. I rode close by there in 2017 on a m/c trip to PA.. It's wonderful to live in a country as vast and diverse as Canada, but distances can make things challenging to explore our beautiful land when there are time constraints. It's 4 twelve-fourteen hour days ride from here (2 hours north of Edmonton) to the Falls. I want to see more of Ontario and the Maritimes as soon as I can before age limits my ability to ride. My wife doesn't enjoy the long road days like I do, and I hate being in the "flying cigar tube" in spite of having been a commercial pilot. Prior to that trip, most of my first hand knowledge of Ontario was the GTA and overnight stays close to Pearson airport. The "megalopolis" that is Toronto and the Niagara peninsula intimidates a country boy like me to a large extent just as Montreal and that area of Quebec does. It's strange, but cities like NY, Miami, Dallas, Austin, LA etc don't seem to have the same effect on me, have no idea why. Maybe it's just the adventure aspect of being in a similar but different country and I'm more open minded about traveling through those cities and places.

I am now a bit over 300km from Lake Nipissing. I’ve lived on a river for ages, and cycle to a different lake. Lake Nipissing is great for fishing, but the lake on the other side of North Bay is much nicer: Trout Lake - deep, cold and clean, and you can canoe from there to the Atlantic Ocean.

But, I am very close to the natural route for you to take to or from Lake Nipissing.
Ok, so not Quebec... You live in Detroit with Les??? o_O
I'm going to do some Google Earth-ing when I get home tonight to see how you could kayak from Trout Lake to the Atlantic. That's a HAUL!
All these new shows I've been watching about hiking, biking and kayaking are in Quebec. Incredibly beautiful stuff. I'd love to go there.

I am a city girl through and through. I love the noise, the chaos, the bright lights and the people. I couldn’t ever imagine moving to the country as I know I would be miserable.

Besides downtown Toronto is where I have some of the best memories of my entire life. Auditioning for bands, playing in bands and meeting so many fabulous like minded people. I usually take the train into the city in 35 minutes. It’s so much more economical then taking the car(parking etc)Besides I don’t drive that much if any at all. I suffered a devastating concussion in 2011 which permanently damaged my right eye. I see double at times. Too dangerous to be driving!

Last edited:
this would not let me add the smiley face after the detroit comment, and it won't let me edit it and add it either. but there is supposed to be a :) at the end of that sentence, and now this is even weirder because it won't show any smiley faces in my posts until after I post them.... I blame Captcha!

Last edited by a moderator:

My BIL worked in North Bay, for John Deere, in the late 80s. The Mrs and I took a trip to visit them in '90. Drove from Chicago through Michigan, crossed the border at Port Huron, and continued on to Niagara Falls and spent the night. Next day was to Toronto to check the city out, and then on to North Bay. We spent 3 days there and then headed for home. We took the north route and crossed at Sault Ste Marie and spent the night in either Marionette or Escanaba (I can't remember which). Next day was along the west shore of Lake Michigan, to Kenosha (had to pick up the pooch from the in-laws), and home. Great trip. Beautiful scenery. I'd like to do that again.

I'm going to do some Google Earth-ing when I get home tonight to see how you could kayak from Trout Lake to the Atlantic. That's a HAUL!
All these new shows I've been watching about hiking, biking and kayaking are in Quebec. Incredibly beautiful stuff. I'd love to go there.
Northern Ontario and Quebec are much the same. I played a fair bit across the border.

Trout Lake connects to another lake (don’t recall the name of the top of my head). Then you hop on the Mattawa River, straight to the Ottawa River, then down to the St. Lawrence. I took a bunch of southerners on a canoe trip from the north end of Trout Lake down to Mattawa. Just a couple of modest portages. There are some much more demanding portages down the Ottawa. To be fair, it would be a bit looney to canoe most of the St Lawrence, but you could - best stick to the south shore.

I am a city girl through and through. I love the noise, the chaos, the bright lights and the people. I couldn’t ever imagine moving to the country as I know I would be miserable.

Besides downtown Toronto is where I have some of the best memories of my entire life. Auditioning for bands, playing in bands and meeting so many fabulous like minded people. I usually take the train into the city in 35 minutes. It’s so much more economical then taking the car(parking etc)Besides I don’t drive that much if any at all. I suffered a devastating concussion in 2011 which permanently damaged my right eye. I see double at times. Too dangerous to be driving!

I honestly don't know how you deal with the traffic downtown, or the 401, or practically anywhere in the GTA. But once you get into some of the outer areas like down near the lakeshore (Burlington) it's really calm and sedate. Appeals to me much better than the concrete jungle. But it's all what you are used to right? NYC traffic is crazy; thank God I wasn't driving, my buddy did all the driving. And the noise never (I mean NEVER) subsides. Sturgis during Bikefest is unspeakably loud and it pales in comparison. But to me, that's part of the mysticism and attraction of the Big Apple too so.
I've had people from large urban locations that are frightened of the country setting and open spaces around my place too. Too quiet and wild. Go figure. They should have been there when the bear was in my yard and on my deck last fall haha.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdywrtkafbzrzxw/20210927_192041.jpg?dl=0

You could get run over if your not careful downtown Toronto. There’s gridlock, road ragers and just plain idiots to deal with. I almost got ran over two years ago crossing in the green. This guy went through a red. I screamed some profanities at him. He stopped his vehicle, got out and god knows what he was going to do. I had pepper spray in my hand and warned him that if he came any closer I would let him have it. He called me a whole bunch of names and then got back in his vehicle and drove off. I should if got a pic of his license plate but I was so angry and not thinking clearly. I never wear my earbuds when down there. Need to be very mindful of my surroundings.

You could get run over if your not careful downtown Toronto. There’s gridlock, road ragers and just plain idiots to deal with. I almost got ran over two years ago crossing in the green. This guy went through a red. I screamed some profanities at him. He stopped his vehicle, got out and god knows what he was going to do. I had pepper spray in my hand and warned him that if he came any closer I would let him have it. He called me a whole bunch of names and then got back in his vehicle and drove off. I should if got a pic of his license plate but I was so angry and not thinking clearly. I never wear my earbuds when down there. Need to be very mindful of my surroundings.

I thought Canadians were mostly apologetic “sorry eh!” ?

I thought Canadians were mostly apologetic “sorry eh!” ?
Oh heck Alnus, we're always polite/apologetic, kind, loving, all that. Until we're gridlocked in vehicles in stand still traffic with a bazillion other doorknobs. But not me....I'm so warm and fuzzy I can't believe it myself! Unless I'm alone or with somebody...then my Irish/Welsh background just might slowly (very slowly) rise into, em, somewhat moderate prominence.:eek:

Oh heck Alnus, we're always polite/apologetic, kind, loving, all that. Until we're gridlocked in vehicles in stand still traffic with a bazillion other doorknobs. But not me....I'm so warm and fuzzy I can't believe it myself! Unless I'm alone or with somebody...then my Irish/Welsh background just might slowly (very slowly) rise into, em, somewhat moderate prominence.:eek:

I work with a Canadian Darryl, how funny eh?!:D

HI All, I am introducing myself for the second time ... I became a member more than 10 years ago but haven't been around much for a while. Lately I find my self back reading the posts and looking at the guitars so I thought I should say hi!

I am a long time PRS player ... I have a '92 CU24 10 top, '08 Mira core and just picked up an '18 SE CU24 in Trampas Green ... all killer guitars, all get gigged with weekly and all have the road rash to show they've been played ... a lot.

Anyway ... good to be back.

HI All, I am introducing myself for the second time ... I became a member more than 10 years ago but haven't been around much for a while. Lately I find my self back reading the posts and looking at the guitars so I thought I should say hi!

I am a long time PRS player ... I have a '92 CU24 10 top, '08 Mira core and just picked up an '18 SE CU24 in Trampas Green ... all killer guitars, all get gigged with weekly and all have the road rash to show they've been played ... a lot.

good to see you

Welcome back jkornel!

Back