Introduce yourself!

Welcome to the forum, Charlie. Good job staying clean.

I do hope you bond with your Silver Sky. Hopefully, the set up will do that for you?

For a floating tremolo on a guitar like that, I like to set it up the way that Steve Lukather sets up his Music Man Luke’s. Back out the tremolo claw screws so that you can go one and a half steps sharp at the 12th fret. You can get your Joe Satriani flutters with ease this way.

That’s great that Sweetwater is so cool. I love buying stuff from them.

I wish you the best of luck, Charlie.

Just bought a brand new Silver Sky from Sweetwater. Been playing it for a couple days. I don't think it likes me yet. The radius is way different and I find myself stumbling across the neck when I play. I pick up my Strat and its magically fast and smooth. My Strat is a bad ass mofo. lots of attitude. Its modded with a Texas Special at the neck. Nothing in the middle and a Fabulous Semour Duncan double coil in the bridge. Set up with 10s and floating tremolo. Also only has a volume knob no tone knobs. Custom set up by a great guitar guy.

I'm going to have him set up the Silver Sky I want a floating tremolo and to lower the action just a bit. No buzz please. lol I have already lowered the pickups down. That has greatly improved the sustainability in those power notes. I have so many guitar hero's but if I were to nail it down to what I inspire to be like, it would be a David Gilmore & Stevie Ray Vaughn with a splash of Joe Bonamassa & topped of with a sauce of Joe Satriani.
This is just the ones that have made me feel something other than Life's painful bruises.

Jesus this is going to be a long story for F sake. I'm a 7 year 10 month recovering Addict. More was my drug of choice way more! It's been hard to play again because of my addiction and where I was...playing and using My muscle memory is wow, way gone. So its been frustrating and lacking. I thought well maybe i would reward myself with a new guitar. Oh god, what have I done 2500 bucks? Since it arrived I've had the hardest time relating to this guitar. I was hoping someone on here would tell me the same but that it would get better with time.

Like I said its going to get a little set up and minor adjustments I've called Sweetwater and they said Thats fine I could still return it if I cant seem to fall in love with it. One thing is......Tonight she made me work a lot harder but I fell into a familiar groove with it. Which was kinda awesome for about 10 minuets. So there is hope.

Anyway, Hi, Name is Charlie. I'm a newbie to this forum. hope all you people are well and safe.

Congrats on the sobriety triumph and new guitar!!! Welcome to the forum and PRS Land!!! Hoping that if this one doesn't work out you find
a model that makes you really happy!

Hello. Just checking in. Bought my first PRS, SE Custom24. She is a great guitar but I am having issues with the first 2-3 frets (Dead string/major buzz). Was fine when it got to me so perhaps a change in weather etc. Whats say you? Thanks

Hello. Just checking in. Bought my first PRS, SE Custom24. She is a great guitar but I am having issues with the first 2-3 frets (Dead string/major buzz). Was fine when it got to me so perhaps a change in weather etc. Whats say you? Thanks

If it was fine when it got to you and you haven't changed anything, then it's probably the guitar adjusting to the different conditions at its new location. Probably a quick truss rod adjustment - easy to do. Just go slow and small. Sounds like you'll want to dial a little more relief into it. The key is slow and small - 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then wait. You should have an idea fairly quickly if you've gone the right way, but the neck will need to settle a bit.

If it was fine when it got to you and you haven't changed anything, then it's probably the guitar adjusting to the different conditions at its new location. Probably a quick truss rod adjustment - easy to do. Just go slow and small. Sounds like you'll want to dial a little more relief into it. The key is slow and small - 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then wait. You should have an idea fairly quickly if you've gone the right way, but the neck will need to settle a bit.
Thanks for the reply. I will plan to give that a try.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. So still have not set up the Silver Sky. but I have been playing it more.

Welcome to the forum, Charlie. Good job staying clean.

I do hope you bond with your Silver Sky. Hopefully, the set up will do that for you?

For a floating tremolo on a guitar like that, I like to set it up the way that Steve Lukather sets up his Music Man Luke’s. Back out the tremolo claw screws so that you can go one and a half steps sharp at the 12th fret. You can get your Joe Satriani flutters with ease this way.

That’s great that Sweetwater is so cool. I love buying stuff from them.

I wish you the best of luck, Charlie.

I watched a video of his about floating the bridge. Seems easy enough, but I have a guy now that is really good has the station set up with the tools and it's only 100.00 bucks right now cuz he needs the work. I was looking around though and nowhere is there anything you can buy to make your Silver Sky custom to you. Like pick guards or even pickup covers. Were all stuck with White? geez la weez. That's kinda lame.

But more importantly I think I can keep the Silver Sky. It kinda makes you play better.. Forces you to play better. If that makes sense.

Greetings I hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times, music is so essential for our well being.

I believe my story will sound similar to many PRS converts, but after buying American made guitars for years and being disappointed by shoddy workmanship, I am blown away by my new PRS SE Custom "Paul's Guitar" made in Indonesia.

I always thought PRS Guitars were kinda "nerdy" and looked like candy and I couldn't abuse it like my Tele or Strat, but I can't help falling in love with this guitar. I don't want to play any other electric. I always go for the PRS. It really does feel like it was designed by a player for players, Lightweight, feels good against your body and balanced when wearing a strap.

I have all the tools and skills to maintain and keep my guitars playing well, but this is the first guitar that I just took out of the box and started playing. Afterwards I got out all my tools and everything was set the way I like it, pickups sounded great, D'addario 09's, no need to change anything (except maybe some Strap Locks). The wide fat profile is perfect for me. I feel like I want to "shred" on this fretboard even though I don't have the skills to do so.

Anyways I'm still in the Love "phase", but I wonder if I will go for the Tele or Strat when I want to play some Stones or other Classic Rock. I hope not because being "at one" with your guitar keeps me more relaxed and I probably can play better.

Sorry for a wordy intro Rock on!
Jen

Howdy!

First and most important a big Thank You for sharing excellent information here.
Second it’s all your fault! My first PRS, an absolutely beautiful A55e arrived yesterday! :)
I’m 4 years into my 20 year plan to learn to play the guitar and am currently working on fingerpicking trying to convince my thumb to be independent of my fingers...

Howdy!

First and most important a big Thank You for sharing excellent information here.
Second it’s all your fault! My first PRS, an absolutely beautiful A55e arrived yesterday! :)
I’m 4 years into my 20 year plan to learn to play the guitar and am currently working on fingerpicking trying to convince my thumb to be independent of my fingers...
Sweet! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first. Good luck on your journey.

Back