Introduce yourself!

Howdy from Texas. Been playing for 20 years off and on. Currently playing at my Church at our once month contemporary service. Just purchased my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 in Tobacco sunburst! Bought online from a PRS Authorized dealer, but have some questions on the setup. Will post some pics and questions in the General forum. Have some general setup questions. Action is pretty high and back of tremolo is lifted about 5mm from the body. Will post more in General forum.

Howdy from Texas. Been playing for 20 years off and on. Currently playing at my Church at our once month contemporary service. Just purchased my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 in Tobacco sunburst! Bought online from a PRS Authorized dealer, but have some questions on the setup. Will post some pics and questions in the General forum. Have some general setup questions. Action is pretty high and back of tremolo is lifted about 5mm from the body. Will post more in General forum.

Congratulations and welcome.

Hello from Flanders (Belgium) to everyone.
Last Friday I finally bought an SE Custom 24 whale blue. I had been looking for a complementary guitar to my Fender Tele, so the humbuckers on this model filled in the gap nicely. And they can even be put in single coil mode.
First impressions are favourable : a versatile guitar with a rich tone, but it could also produce the twangy country sound. I like to play blues and rock, so there are a lot of sounds to choose from.
I changed the stock strap buttons with Dunlop strap locks. Unfortunately the screws of the PRS button was a tad too thick to be used in the Dunlop, but the operation went smoothly.
I ordered the PRS locking tuners and expect them here in a few days. Not that the stock machine heads are bad, on the contrary, but I like the ease and speed when you change strings.
I’ll send some pictures soon when I have provided enough messages.

Hello from Flanders (Belgium) to everyone.
Last Friday I finally bought an SE Custom 24 whale blue. I had been looking for a complementary guitar to my Fender Tele, so the humbuckers on this model filled in the gap nicely. And they can even be put in single coil mode.
First impressions are favourable : a versatile guitar with a rich tone, but it could also produce the twangy country sound. I like to play blues and rock, so there are a lot of sounds to choose from.
I changed the stock strap buttons with Dunlop strap locks. Unfortunately the screws of the PRS button was a tad too thick to be used in the Dunlop, but the operation went smoothly.
I ordered the PRS locking tuners and expect them here in a few days. Not that the stock machine heads are bad, on the contrary, but I like the ease and speed when you change strings.
I’ll send some pictures soon when I have provided enough messages.

congratulations and welcome. Great choice for your first PRS (the second one will probably be along soon!).

Looking forward to your new guitar day thread.

Greetings, everyone. I joined the ranks of the PRS family a few days ago when I became the proud owner of a stunning PRS 35th Anniversary Custom SE 24. I've been dreaming of this guitar since I saw it announced and started saving up to purchase one but the Covid19 outbreak has had both me and my fiancée out of work for months now so I kept off from buying it. About 2 weeks ago my fiancée saw me looking at this guitar again on my laptop screen and told me "are you just going to keep staring at that guitar? Go ahead and buy it. We'll work things out". And that, I did!!! This guitar is so beautiful; photos don't do it justice. It plays and feels like a dream. But the thing that surprised me the most are the TCI pickups. They can seriously handle anything from blues to metal.

A bit of info about me: I'm 45 years old. I was born in the United States but live in Greece. I work as a bartender at a 5 star hotel. I bought my 1st guitar when I was 12 and I'm pretty much self taught. Life caused me to take about a 13 year hiatus from guitar playing. About a year and a half ago I got the hunger to play guitar again and that urge has been growing daily since then, stronger than ever. Last year I decided I wanted to start looking for a new guitar. After talking with friends and other musicians my sights started focusing on PRS for there quality and versatility since I love playing everything from the blues to prog metal. Now having my first PRS, I couldn't be happier !!!
EDIT : I was able to add an image of my guitar
IyWUN3O.jpg

BwMLLFy

Last edited:
Greetings, everyone. I joined the ranks of the PRS family a few days ago when I became the proud owner of a stunning PRS 35th Anniversary Custom SE 24. I've been dreaming of this guitar since I saw it announced and started saving up to purchase one but the Covid19 outbreak has had both me and my fiancée out of work for months now so I kept off from buying it. About 2 weeks ago my fiancée saw me looking at this guitar again on my laptop screen and told me "are you just going to keep staring at that guitar? Go ahead and buy it. We'll work things out". And that, I did!!! This guitar is so beautiful; photos don't do it justice. It plays and feels like a dream. But the thing that surprised me the most are the TCI pickups. They can seriously handle anything from blues to metal.

A bit of info about me: I'm 45 years old. I was born in the United States but live in Greece. I work as a bartender at a 5 star hotel. I bought my 1st guitar when I was 12 and I'm pretty much self taught. Life caused me to take about a 13 year hiatus from guitar playing. About a year and a half ago I got the hunger to play guitar again and that urge has been growing daily since then, stronger than ever. Last year I decided I wanted to start looking for a new guitar. After talking with friends and other musicians my sights started focusing on PRS for there quality and versatility since I love playing everything from the blues to prog metal. Now having my first PRS, I couldn't be happier !!!
BwMLLFy

Welcome and congrats on your first!

There’s a thread on how to upload photos. You have to use a third party hosting site and use the share to forums code.

Imgur/Postimage and other sites are popular choices.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you can.

Welcome and congrats on your first!

There’s a thread on how to upload photos. You have to use a third party hosting site and use the share to forums code.

Imgur/Postimage and other sites are popular choices.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you can.

Thanks a lot. I use imgur. Looking into it right now.

Welcome to the forum, guys.

I too am new to the world of PRS. 2 days ago I took delivery of my first PRS, a 2020 Custom 24 Black Gold Artist Series. A bit of a gamble, as I'd never touched one before in my life, but there's a method to my madness.

By way of introduction, I grew up in a very poor, rural area of MD near the Chesapeake Bay and in the late 1960s was in a really crappy garage band. The lack of funds dictated playing a really terrible single pickup guitar through an abandoned stereo system amplifier and single speaker. No tone controls, no effects, no pedals as all of that was completely unaffordable. And I lusted after a sunburst Gibson Les Paul. While working multiple jobs to put myself through university I had a chance to play a Yamaha 12 string acoustic. Amazing. Then no guitar as I entered Corporate America and spent the next 45 years doing what was needed. At age 67 I retired and decided that I needed to get back into guitar and started a search for a Gibson LP, but a vintage one versus brand new. At this point in my life, money was no longer non-existent as it was prior. Without boring you with the details, I bought from a fellow whose collection was in the hundreds, a 1992 Les Paul Classic Plus in absolutely pristine, un-played condition. Gorgeous guitar, covered pickups, completely original.

Next, I decided I wanted another 12 string, and after touring the C.F, Martin factory which is about 90 miles north of me, I bought one of them. That guitar sings. Then 2 things converged. First, the Pandemic hit which meant I was house bound with mega time on my hands and I also wanted another electric with a sound profile very different than a LP. The PRS factory is located fairly close to where I grew up in MD and currently 90 minutes SW of me, so I felt a connection to them, so I started a search. Throughout my life, I've been obsessed with having quality things, preferring quality over quantity, to the point that if I couldn't afford quality, I didn't buy anything, so that PRS's obsession with quality appealed to me. I also love wood, so the wood they used in their maple tops spoke to me. But, PRS makes one of the most bewildering/confusing/overlapping line of guitars I've even encountered, ever within just their Core line. That made my research that much more difficult. Then another complication hit, after I found one that I was interested in which was a brand new 2017 Black Gold Artist Series -- namely, that I learned that with the 2020 production that were going with the new pickups and upgraded finishing process. Not wanting to buy a guitar that would immediately be 3 years old with prior generation pickups, I resumed my search, and found the guitar that I mentioned at the beginning. And, given we are in the middle of an economic crisis and talking to multiple stores, all were willing to offer very, very favorable pricing.

I've only had a chance to play it for about 20 minutes so far, but it is everything that I was looking for. The Profile Thin neck is the same profile as my Gibson LP Classic which has a thin 1960's style neck, so that feels right at home. The frets on the PRS feel larger and while I haven't spent much time, the initial impression is that they are easier to play. The build quality is every bit what I anticipated and even just doing a quick run through the 5 switch settings, the sound range is exactly what I was hoping for as a companion to the LP.

While I know that there are many people who (like the collector I bought the LP from) have walls full of guitars, I have 3. Vintage Gibson LP, Martin 12 String and now the PRS Custom 24. While it's only 3, the collective value is over $10k. But, more importantly, these 3 can provide me -- for what I want -- a tremendous spectrum of sounds to the point that I don't feel the need for ever having a 4th guitar. I know that may sound like blasphemy to some who state that "you can never have enough guitars", but again, everyone dances to different music, and these 3 will exceed my abilities and the music I enjoy playing.

When the quarantine is lifted, I plan to drive down to MD later in the summer for a tour of their factory, then have some freshly steamed crabs caught that day in the Chesapeake Bay along a cold beer and french fries for lunch at one of the many outdoor seafood restaurants nearby. Not a bad way to spend a day.

So -- that's my story. And, after months of searching, I'm very happy to now be part of the PRS fraternity.

pdq

I too am new to the world of PRS. 2 days ago I took delivery of my first PRS, a 2020 Custom 24 Black Gold Artist Series. A bit of a gamble, as I'd never touched one before in my life, but there's a method to my madness.

By way of introduction, I grew up in a very poor, rural area of MD near the Chesapeake Bay and in the late 1960s was in a really crappy garage band. The lack of funds dictated playing a really terrible single pickup guitar through an abandoned stereo system amplifier and single speaker. No tone controls, no effects, no pedals as all of that was completely unaffordable. And I lusted after a sunburst Gibson Les Paul. While working multiple jobs to put myself through university I had a chance to play a Yamaha 12 string acoustic. Amazing. Then no guitar as I entered Corporate America and spent the next 45 years doing what was needed. At age 67 I retired and decided that I needed to get back into guitar and started a search for a Gibson LP, but a vintage one versus brand new. At this point in my life, money was no longer non-existent as it was prior. Without boring you with the details, I bought from a fellow whose collection was in the hundreds, a 1992 Les Paul Classic Plus in absolutely pristine, un-played condition. Gorgeous guitar, covered pickups, completely original.

Next, I decided I wanted another 12 string, and after touring the C.F, Martin factory which is about 90 miles north of me, I bought one of them. That guitar sings. Then 2 things converged. First, the Pandemic hit which meant I was house bound with mega time on my hands and I also wanted another electric with a sound profile very different than a LP. The PRS factory is located fairly close to where I grew up in MD and currently 90 minutes SW of me, so I felt a connection to them, so I started a search. Throughout my life, I've been obsessed with having quality things, preferring quality over quantity, to the point that if I couldn't afford quality, I didn't buy anything, so that PRS's obsession with quality appealed to me. I also love wood, so the wood they used in their maple tops spoke to me. But, PRS makes one of the most bewildering/confusing/overlapping line of guitars I've even encountered, ever within just their Core line. That made my research that much more difficult. Then another complication hit, after I found one that I was interested in which was a brand new 2017 Black Gold Artist Series -- namely, that I learned that with the 2020 production that were going with the new pickups and upgraded finishing process. Not wanting to buy a guitar that would immediately be 3 years old with prior generation pickups, I resumed my search, and found the guitar that I mentioned at the beginning. And, given we are in the middle of an economic crisis and talking to multiple stores, all were willing to offer very, very favorable pricing.

I've only had a chance to play it for about 20 minutes so far, but it is everything that I was looking for. The Profile Thin neck is the same profile as my Gibson LP Classic which has a thin 1960's style neck, so that feels right at home. The frets on the PRS feel larger and while I haven't spent much time, the initial impression is that they are easier to play. The build quality is every bit what I anticipated and even just doing a quick run through the 5 switch settings, the sound range is exactly what I was hoping for as a companion to the LP.

While I know that there are many people who (like the collector I bought the LP from) have walls full of guitars, I have 3. Vintage Gibson LP, Martin 12 String and now the PRS Custom 24. While it's only 3, the collective value is over $10k. But, more importantly, these 3 can provide me -- for what I want -- a tremendous spectrum of sounds to the point that I don't feel the need for ever having a 4th guitar. I know that may sound like blasphemy to some who state that "you can never have enough guitars", but again, everyone dances to different music, and these 3 will exceed my abilities and the music I enjoy playing.

When the quarantine is lifted, I plan to drive down to MD later in the summer for a tour of their factory, then have some freshly steamed crabs caught that day in the Chesapeake Bay along a cold beer and french fries for lunch at one of the many outdoor seafood restaurants nearby. Not a bad way to spend a day.

So -- that's my story. And, after months of searching, I'm very happy to now be part of the PRS fraternity.

pdq[/QUOTE

Lovely story! Welcome to the forum, and the obsession. =)

Just bought a brand new Silver Sky from Sweetwater. Been playing it for a couple days. I don't think it likes me yet. The radius is way different and I find myself stumbling across the neck when I play. I pick up my Strat and its magically fast and smooth. My Strat is a bad ass mofo. lots of attitude. Its modded with a Texas Special at the neck. Nothing in the middle and a Fabulous Semour Duncan double coil in the bridge. Set up with 10s and floating tremolo. Also only has a volume knob no tone knobs. Custom set up by a great guitar guy.

I'm going to have him set up the Silver Sky I want a floating tremolo and to lower the action just a bit. No buzz please. lol I have already lowered the pickups down. That has greatly improved the sustainability in those power notes. I have so many guitar hero's but if I were to nail it down to what I inspire to be like, it would be a David Gilmore & Stevie Ray Vaughn with a splash of Joe Bonamassa & topped of with a sauce of Joe Satriani.
This is just the ones that have made me feel something other than Life's painful bruises.

Jesus this is going to be a long story for F sake. I'm a 7 year 10 month recovering Addict. More was my drug of choice way more! It's been hard to play again because of my addiction and where I was...playing and using My muscle memory is wow, way gone. So its been frustrating and lacking. I thought well maybe i would reward myself with a new guitar. Oh god, what have I done 2500 bucks? Since it arrived I've had the hardest time relating to this guitar. I was hoping someone on here would tell me the same but that it would get better with time.

Like I said its going to get a little set up and minor adjustments I've called Sweetwater and they said Thats fine I could still return it if I cant seem to fall in love with it. One thing is......Tonight she made me work a lot harder but I fell into a familiar groove with it. Which was kinda awesome for about 10 minuets. So there is hope.

Anyway, Hi, Name is Charlie. I'm a newbie to this forum. hope all you people are well and safe.

Back