Introduce yourself!

Hi. I spent nearly 5 hours in Andertons yesterday (with a few very helpful and patient members of their staff), and came away with a Core Custom 24, Pattern Thin neck, in cherry-charcoal.

My story is going to be nowhere near as illustrious as most on here - I taught myself guitar age 15/16, and carried on into university. Aged around 20, I got into sport pretty seriously so music took a total backseat. The sort of back seat that isn't even in the same vehicle as the driver any more but got left at the roadside because the other occupants want to stretch their legs out a bit more.
Now I'm nearly 35 and physically less well equipped for the sports I love, I decided to have a go at getting back into it.
So I picked my Epiphone LP standard out of its box, and played for a couple of months to check I still like playing full-stop. As I suspected, that never went away. So now I wanted something that's a real pleasure to pick up and play. I don't want to become a collector, or somebody who has a different guitar for different occasions - just one nice guitar for me.
I went into the music shop on a day when I had nothing else planned, tried some Fender Ultras, some high-end Gibsons, and some PRS from the core, S2 and SE ranges. The first PRS I came to was a Pattern Standard neck - that just didn't inspire me at all. I was quite disappointed - I think I'd gone into it maybe a little biased by looks. I love the look of PRS guitars and really wanted to like it. I swapped it out for a Pattern Thin neck, and that made such a difference to me. Love it. I'm not a great player at all (as above - 2 months in after a 15 year hiatus) but it sounds great and plays easily.
Finally I wanted to convince myself that I was correct to spend that much cash so I compared against equivalent S2 and SE. The lack of split-coil settings was the main detractor from the cheaper models here I think, but the Core just has a general loveliness about it.

I'll be playing through the Boss GT-1000 I bought last month, on to either headphones (most of my practice time comes after my son is in bed) or a Headrush 108.

No immediate plans to play in public, this is all for me and my personal enjoyment.
Welcome! Self taught here too.
Congrats, and enjoy!

I know! And the best part is that I need to go again. When I finally made my decision on the guitar, there wasn't long left on my parking ticket. So in my excitement, I forgot to add any spare strings or a strap. This means that I get to go again for accessories!
I had my first trip there a couple of months back, to compare a Helix vs the Boss GT-1000. This was my second visit, for the PRS and the Headrush. So on a £-per-visit basis, they're doing quite well from me.

Understandable, especially with your first PRS purchase. But don't worry, there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here, and with a little work and guidance, pretty soon you won't be forgetting stuff like that. You'll purposely not buy them to justify a return trip, and oh, while I'm here, can I see that PRS over there? :D

Welcome aboard!

Hi. I spent nearly 5 hours in Andertons yesterday (with a few very helpful and patient members of their staff), and came away with a Core Custom 24, Pattern Thin neck, in cherry-charcoal.

My story is going to be nowhere near as illustrious as most on here - I taught myself guitar age 15/16, and carried on into university. Aged around 20, I got into sport pretty seriously so music took a total backseat. The sort of back seat that isn't even in the same vehicle as the driver any more but got left at the roadside because the other occupants want to stretch their legs out a bit more.
Now I'm nearly 35 and physically less well equipped for the sports I love, I decided to have a go at getting back into it.
So I picked my Epiphone LP standard out of its box, and played for a couple of months to check I still like playing full-stop. As I suspected, that never went away. So now I wanted something that's a real pleasure to pick up and play. I don't want to become a collector, or somebody who has a different guitar for different occasions - just one nice guitar for me.
I went into the music shop on a day when I had nothing else planned, tried some Fender Ultras, some high-end Gibsons, and some PRS from the core, S2 and SE ranges. The first PRS I came to was a Pattern Standard neck - that just didn't inspire me at all. I was quite disappointed - I think I'd gone into it maybe a little biased by looks. I love the look of PRS guitars and really wanted to like it. I swapped it out for a Pattern Thin neck, and that made such a difference to me. Love it. I'm not a great player at all (as above - 2 months in after a 15 year hiatus) but it sounds great and plays easily.
Finally I wanted to convince myself that I was correct to spend that much cash so I compared against equivalent S2 and SE. The lack of split-coil settings was the main detractor from the cheaper models here I think, but the Core just has a general loveliness about it.

I'll be playing through the Boss GT-1000 I bought last month, on to either headphones (most of my practice time comes after my son is in bed) or a Headrush 108.

No immediate plans to play in public, this is all for me and my personal enjoyment.

Very cool, congrats and welcome!!

I've watched a few of their Youtube videos, is the store as cool in person as it seems in the videos?

Very cool, congrats and welcome!!

I've watched a few of their Youtube videos, is the store as cool in person as it seems in the videos?
I've seen the videos too - discovered them when choosing GT-1000 vs Helix a couple of months back. I did recognise one guy in there from the videos, but the majority of the staff are somewhat younger. The videos look like a studio or guitar enthusiast's den, but the store looks like... a store. But there's so much kit in there, and laid out with enough space to have a really good browse.
Even the junior staff seemed quite knowledgeable though. I spoke to several over my visits and they were able to show me around the workings of complex modeling pedals on my first visit. And on my second visit, one very young chap was able to give a guitar a quick adjust when I said I thought it didn't feel quite right.
Also, they get brand reps doing kit demos and Q&A sometimes. When I went for the pedal, they happened to have a guy from Boss there that day, and he was able to give me a really deep chat about it all (and about other stuff too!)
So yeah, pretty cool but the room isn't as good as the studio.

Welcome to the PRS Forum!

New members...old members: Who are you? Where are you from? How did you end up on a PRS Forum? How did PRS get on your radar?

Hi all,
New member here. My names Neal, I play in a blues band on an island In Canada just North and west of Seattle. Started out as a strat guy, studied music at college then realized I wasn’t going to make a living doing this so got a day job and mostly stopped playing for 15 years. Got married had a kid, changed careers and started thinking about guitar again but this time I gravitated towards Gibson’s. Anyway, over the last few years I noticed that every PRS I picked up felt like it was made for my hands, then I saw some That Pedal Show episodes where Mick featured his DGT and turned me onto David Grissom and I just received my first DGT yesterday. Was already a member of a bunch of forums and found this one so figured what’s one more?

will post a NGD soon. Gotta run to rehearsal though. See ya around.

Neal

Hi all,
New member here. My names Neal, I play in a blues band on an island In Canada just North and west of Seattle. Started out as a strat guy, studied music at college then realized I wasn’t going to make a living doing this so got a day job and mostly stopped playing for 15 years. Got married had a kid, changed careers and started thinking about guitar again but this time I gravitated towards Gibson’s. Anyway, over the last few years I noticed that every PRS I picked up felt like it was made for my hands, then I saw some That Pedal Show episodes where Mick featured his DGT and turned me onto David Grissom and I just received my first DGT yesterday. Was already a member of a bunch of forums and found this one so figured what’s one more?

Neal

Hi Neal

welcome to the forum, your several places will likely become one place, as there’s a great attitude on here.

And be warned that one PRS becomes a herd, they multiply without much effort!

Edit: so a kind of yin/yang effect!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

New member here! My name is Jon, I live in The Netherlands, I'm 33 and I'm a PRS fan. I own 4 PRS Baritones and they are by far the best Baritone guitars I've ever played. I'm quite impressed with the SE workmanship and wood selections! I also love my MT15 and I can't stop talking about it haha!

I also have a YouTube channel called Sonic Drive Studio, where I demo guitar amps, guitars and pedals. I also do a lot of videos on amp modeling and stuff.

Anyway, it's good to be here! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Neal
Welcome Neal. What island?
Vancouver boy here...

Hi guys!

New member here! My name is Jon and I'm a PRS fan. I own 4 PRS Baritones and they are by far the best Baritone guitars I've ever played. I'm quite impressed with the SE workmanship and wood selections! I also love my MT15 and I can't stop talking about it haha!

I also have a YouTube channel called Sonic Drive Studio, where I demo guitar amps, guitars and pedals. I also do a lot of videos on amp modeling and stuff.

Anyway, it's good to be here! :)

Cheers!
Welcome Jon!

Hi al!
I just joined a few days ago after getting my first PRS (2012 Santana II). You guys have already been super helpful with helping me to understand what I got. I've always admired PRS guitars but never had one before. Taught myself guitar at about 13, 61 now. Played in a variety of bands over the years, with a long hiatus while I had a young family. Kids are grown now and I'm mostly doing my own original tunes in a fusion band that I started a while ago. Also a sax player since age 9.

Like many people here (I assume) I have a big pile of guitars. Recently I've been actively trying to reduce the quantity to just those that I actually play and are actually comfortable. Tendonitis in my left hand makes anything with too small or thin of a neck uncomfortable to play, so with some trepidation I'm shedding a bunch of cool guitars that I got and kept just because they were cool, but that I rarely if ever played.

The Santana popped up on my local CL, and seemed too good to be true, the seller was asking WAY under the going price. In truth he was just a student who didn't play much anymore and needed money for school, and when I tried the guitar I knew instantly that it was both a keeper and a player. Neck is the perfect carve for me and wow, what a nice guitar.

You all seem like a bunch of nice folks here. As we all know, some forums are nicer than others. The Gretsch Pages is another good one. Jazzguitar.de not so much, and I think the worst of all in terms of the 'a**hole factor' is Sax on the Web. Yikes. Kind of amazing how different the forums can be.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and making me feel welcome!

Paul

Hi al!
I just joined a few days ago after getting my first PRS (2012 Santana II). You guys have already been super helpful with helping me to understand what I got. I've always admired PRS guitars but never had one before. Taught myself guitar at about 13, 61 now. Played in a variety of bands over the years, with a long hiatus while I had a young family. Kids are grown now and I'm mostly doing my own original tunes in a fusion band that I started a while ago. Also a sax player since age 9.

Like many people here (I assume) I have a big pile of guitars. Recently I've been actively trying to reduce the quantity to just those that I actually play and are actually comfortable. Tendonitis in my left hand makes anything with too small or thin of a neck uncomfortable to play, so with some trepidation I'm shedding a bunch of cool guitars that I got and kept just because they were cool, but that I rarely if ever played.

The Santana popped up on my local CL, and seemed too good to be true, the seller was asking WAY under the going price. In truth he was just a student who didn't play much anymore and needed money for school, and when I tried the guitar I knew instantly that it was both a keeper and a player. Neck is the perfect carve for me and wow, what a nice guitar.

You all seem like a bunch of nice folks here. As we all know, some forums are nicer than others. The Gretsch Pages is another good one. Jazzguitar.de not so much, and I think the worst of all in terms of the 'a**hole factor' is Sax on the Web. Yikes. Kind of amazing how different the forums can be.

Paul
Welcome! You’ve stumbled onto, quite possibly, the nicest place on the web

Hi al!

Paul
Welcome Paul!

Back