Introduce yourself!

Well I’ve already been posting a bit. So should probably introduce myself. I’m not good at keeping things short. But I’ll try.

Learned to play guitar from my dad. He played in country and blue grass bands when I was young. Never his main job, but a way to supplement his income and he enjoyed it. He did make a trip to nasheville to cut a demo. Anyway he bought me a lotus Strat copy around 1990. That’ll be important in a bit.

I kept playing at the guitar, but never really had any lessons. I got old enough for the school band and joined. My thought was, what instrument is in a “real” band? So I picked up percussion.

I made it into several honor bands, and earned a partial scholarship to college. However I had also joined a local band around that time playing guitar. So that’s when I got back into guitar. I also started playing in church.

Trying to keep it short. Didn’t finish college and the band eventually came to an end. Although the lead player is now in nasheville and has released one album and working on another. Anyway I’m still playing at church with the drummer.

I’ve had a few guitar over the years. I’ve been a fan of Godin guitars. I have a LGX-SA that’s been my main guitar for years. I have a LP studio that was another main guitar of mine. Both are humbucker guitars. And aside from my Godin LG SP90, I’ve almost always used humbuckers. And to be honest had never been totally satisfied with my tone.

So recently I decided to try a strat. Quick sidenote. I also had a Godin Progression (strat copy), but at the time all my pickups were higher output, and it just didn’t fit my rig. I have since changed the p90’s in my LG to lower output and love it even more. Anyway back to the Strat. So I decided instead of buying a new strat, why not fix up that old one.

So I got it out, and it was a little roughs than I remembered. Not horrible but needed some finish work too. So I sanded down the body. Surprisingly it was a mahogany body. Had a nice neck maple neck with a bit of flame and slab rosewood fretboard, although a little thin for my tastes. My dad leveled the frets got it back in shape. A new nut and locking tuners were added. I simply used an oil finish on the body. Made a pick guard out of carbon fiber. New pickups. New bridge with a brass block. Started playing it, and single coils is what I’ve been missing.

So now that I knew that, I started looking for a killer strat style guitar. Bought a PRS SE EG. It’s cool, but miss my carved flame maple tops from my Godins. Which lead me to the PRS 305. I’ve been looking but they’re not easy to find. Especially with a nice top and not $3000. So I was also keeping an eye out for the 513 and 509’s and maybe even a 408. When I found my 513.

What a guitar. It’s a strat, a vintage LP, and a more modern humbucker guitar all in one. I was afraid it might be a jack of all trades master of none. But it’s better at those sounds than each one on its own. At least imo. It has sustain for days. And even in single coil mode, it has this depth and low mid growl, that I love.

Anyway other notes. I have 3 beautiful boys that are 6, 4, and 1 year old. My parent and I have a motorcycle shop that specializes in Harleys. One day I will build a guitar my own guitar. I also ordered a full rosewood neck for the lotus. However it doesn’t quite fit, so i need to route it. But once it’s done I’ll post pics of it.

Told ya. I’m not good at keeping it short. Haha.

Hello all, been playing guitar for almost 11 years. Been aware of PRS guitars and a slight admirer, although I admit that John Mayer really brought me around on them.

Last edited:
Hello! Just joined with the purchase of an SE Custom 24 Exotic Wood in Zebra Wood.

Have to say, a bit of a conversion for me but delighted with the purchase.

Mr Nutz signing-in for the first time.

Living in the deep south (of the UK), I have been a guitarist for 49 years. However, in all of that time I have not so much as even handled a PRS guitar...

Until last week, that is, when I suddenly took a fancy to an SE Standard 24 and bought one.

Although at the lower end of their range, it ranks very highly against the Gibson, Fender and all the other instruments I have acquired (and still have), over the years.

The long wait continues. Just heard from the dealer that his existing PRS orders will be coming in in October and November.

2017 is now behind us and still I wait. At this point, I question whether I should wait further honestly. They've completely botched the "under promise, over deliver" mantra.

Welcome to all the new folks! I'm catching up so please forgive me for not mentioning each of you individually. Glad to have all of you joining us! You'll find a ton of great insight around here. Jump right in fellas!

Hi everyone,

I have been playing guitar for about a year with a MiM Tele, which I really like. I wanted a humbucker guitar and went to the guitar store because they had a Gibson SG on sale. They had 3 different ones in the store and all had sky high actions, one had a serious chunk out of the neck where they cut the nut and the other two didn't play very well. Checked out a few other guitars and saw a SE custom 24 in tobacco that played really really well. Salesman said they just got a green one in and he went and got it. It was still in its shipping box, once out I tuned it and it played perfect literally out of the box so it went home with me.

I put on 10s when I got home and had to do a small tweak to the truss rod, the G string was also a little sticky with the 10s so I installed a TUSQ nut, tuning stability is now perfect. This guitar is wicked.

Does anyone know where I could find a custom truss rod cover? Maple, to match the headstock, with maybe a PRS bird wood inlay?

3qLfED4.jpg

Hello all. I am new to this forum and noticed you all have a great introduction thread going here. Well my name is Chris and I reside in Southern California. I am a native Bostonian and new to PRS guitars. I have an S2 singlecut due to arrive this week and I am truly excited to be able to see her in person. I also happen to enjoy perusing the forums of my favorite guitars. I look forward to learning more about PRS and interacting with you all.

Chris

Welcome sillyak! Nice one! I had a 2017 SE Custom 24 til the first of December...great guitar, I especially loved the 85/15 "S", wish I still had it! Not sure on the TRC? Try a search, I'm pretty sure someone posted a link here a while back...glad you're here!

Hello all! I am new to the forum and thought I'd stop by and say hi. After a very long hiatus, I figured I'd break out my babies and strat the long journey to teaching myself to play again. I do hope it's like ridrid a bicycle lol. I have a 2011 SASNF, rosewood board and gold hardware.

Hey Tradaccent! Welcome! Glad to have you join us! Post some pics trust me, we love pics of cool PRSi some even post up pics of pink Hello Kitty Ukes, if they don't see enough pics....o_O:D enjoy your journey!

Hello all. I am new to this forum and noticed you all have a great introduction thread going here. Well my name is Chris and I reside in Southern California. I am a native Bostonian and new to PRS guitars. I have an S2 singlecut due to arrive this week and I am truly excited to be able to see her in person. I also happen to enjoy perusing the forums of my favorite guitars. I look forward to learning more about PRS and interacting with you all.

Chris

Welcome aboard! Remember to post pics or we'll have to harass you about playing an epiphone.;)

Hey Tradaccent! Welcome! Glad to have you join us! Post some pics trust me, we love pics of cool PRSi some even post up pics of pink Hello Kitty Ukes, if they don't see enough pics....o_O:D enjoy your journey!

Lol .. Thanks for the bud. I eiwi post some pics as ssoonas I get my posts ini

After lurking for a while, I thought I might as well introduce myself. I've been playing guitar(badly) for more years than I care to think about and honestly thought I'd finally rounded out the herd...yeah, right. Anyway, I was looking at new amps at a local dealer when I happen to grab a used SE off the wall to give it a try. As I'd never played a PRS before, I was blown away. So immediately the thought turned from new amp, to new guitar, a PRS. Unfortunately, there isn't a dealer in my state, so I made the trip to another state fully expecting to purchase the Trampas Green SE Custom 24 I'd found on their website, but for whatever reason, I just didn't jell with that guitar. As I was wondering around thinking I'd made a wasted trip, my daughter noticed a used SE that was hanging on the rack. It was a 2015 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24 in Chestnut. Oh boy, that was the one I fell in love with and that's the one that came home with me. I'm still amazed by the playablity, the quality, the finish and the different tones that I can coax out of this thing and the fact that it's their import guitar! I'm already long gone, as I've starting thinking about dumping my Les Paul and adding a stoptail USA PRS to the herd...

Back