Introduce yourself!

Hi everybody. I'm very new to PRS and to guitars as a whole. I've been playing bass for about 2 years off and on. I'm not very good, but I love it!

One benefit of having discovered this love at a later age is that I have some disposable income to get the instruments that I really want. I went to Sweetwater Gearfest last month and attended a "clinic" with PRS and Rhonda Smith. I completely and utterly fell in love with her bass. Before this I never really considered PRS for basses. I've always admired how pretty their guitars were, but without knowing the first thing about guitars I never really considered them.

My husband and I went to the PRS tent after that and they had ONE Gary Grainger bass there. It was pretty, but again I just didn't get it. Then I played it. OMG I've never felt comfortable on a fretboard until that instrument. Paul Reed Smith and Rhonda Smith signed the bass for me and I cannot be happier with it.

I discovered this forum looking for what my bass would look like in purple and that lead me down the rabbit hole of Private Stock Friday. I have now finished all 396 pages and wish there was more. I do have one complaint, not enough basses. I do know that this is a guitar thread but still.

Great story, and welcome

Hello! I'm Ray from Dallas, and new to the PRS family. 2 weeks ago, I went into my local Guitar Center to pick up another Gibson, and stumbled onto PRS. Someone had left a PRS S2 Standard 24 sitting by the amp where I was testing the Gibson, so I gave it a try, loved it, and brought it home. For so many years, PRS was that line of guitars that I usually just walked past to get to Gibson. Never really thought much about them. BUT, why were so many of my favorite guitar players using PRS? This goldmine has been under my nose for years, and I never knew it.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've been reading/watching pretty much everything I can get my hands on to learn more. Absolutely fascinating! So much passion, from Mr. Smith himself, to his Team, to those that love these guitars so much. Its been an absolute pleasure learning about the history and the different types of PRS guitars, from the CE line, to the S2, to the incredible Core models and up.

I'm a big fan of Marshall and Mesa amps. Plugging this S2 into both types of amps has been quite impressive. The S2 does quite well stacked up against my Gibson's (Custom, Traditional, Standard, Studio, SG, and Explorer). The pickups in this S2 stand up nicely with Gibson, but now I'm wondering if I might want to go with something a bit different with regards to PUs. I've read many articles/forum discussions regarding the long running debate whether to upgrade PUs or not. Does it make sense to swap out the current ones? Or, do I leave the S2 as is and compliment it with an upgraded Core PRS? I've enjoyed reading the debates from both sides with regards to should PRS have included better components with the S2, or is it exactly where it needs to be? I love the guitar, but I guess I can also see both sides of the coin.

Looking forward to talking with you fine folks, discussing guitars, and learning more about the many various models!

Nice to meet you!

Kindest regards,
Ray

Hey guys, Bill here from Lexington, Ky. I'm a 62 year old retired Engineer just beginning (6 mos. in) to play guitar and study music theory. I'm presently working through an on-line course and progressing better than I expected.
I don't own a PRS guitar as yet but plan on evaluating my progress at the end of the year and if I'm satisfied, I'm looking at a CE 24 as a reward :). The biggest challenge so far is loosening up these 62 year old fingers and getting the knuckles to cooperate :).
It's nice to meet everyone and I've enjoyed reading all the exchanges and the passion exhibited.

Bill

Greetings from Memphis! Living room warrior here, still dreaming of joining a band for fun.
I just purchased my first PRS: a McCarty 594, WL (Moore's Music), all Korina with a quilt flame maple top in McCarty sunburst, and ebony fretboard. It should arrive some time early next week. I can't wait!
(I'll post pictures once I am allowed to).

Greetings from Memphis! Living room warrior here, still dreaming of joining a band for fun.
I just purchased my first PRS: a McCarty 594, WL (Moore's Music), all Korina with a quilt flame maple top in McCarty sunburst, and ebony fretboard. It should arrive some time early next week. I can't wait!
(I'll post pictures once I am allowed to).

Welcome to the forum, David. Sweet first PRS! Likely to not be the one and only!

Hi all,
I just got a PRS SE Custom 22, 2006 model, from "the bay" (£220) today and have been barely able to put it down.
Asked the guy who sold it to me if he was upgrading, and was vague about playing an acoustic instead.
Took it home and tried it, it was horrible, almost unplayable. The high E was 3mm at the twelfth, the low was 2.5mm..
Adjusted the bridge and it was citaring. Checked the neck and there was the problem.
After a rummage in the gig bag I found the truss rod tool and 20 mins later the action and playability is second to none.

I have put off starting on the PRS line for so long as I knew that I would always want the next one that I couldn't afford/justify, but this one is so great that I won't be tempted for a while to come.

Hey y'all. Just joined this forum after recently picking up a PRS Custom 24 Floyd in violet.

I've been playing for 34 years and previously owned PRS axes. I gigged with my '06 Singlecut and '03 Custom 22 for several years but ran into big expenses that forced me to sell them last year. Now that things are better I rewarded myself with the Custom 24 Floyd.

I've owned and played a lot guitars during my life and I can honestly say that this is the best guitar I've ever owned. I've played several gigs now with my original band (including a recent festival opening for Hinder and Within Reason) and it cuts through a band mix like Valyrian steel through a White Walker. The build quality and fit/finish is just perfect.

This guitar took the No. 1 spot away from my LP Axcess in the arsenal.

Hello everyone, my name is Tamlee. I'm new here, obviously, and thought I'd finally say hi. I'm a long time Gibson player, looking to learn more about Paul Reed Smith guitars. I play mostly rock and blues and don't care for Floyd Rose or any kind of whammy system. What's the main difference between my Les Paul Standard and a Paul Reed Smith of similar cost? Which ones are the higher end guitars? I want to play some and compare apples to apples, Les Paul to X, whichever is in the same class and price range. Money isn't really too much of a factor but I'd like to stay under $5,000.00. $3000 would be even better but I have 7 guitars now, mostly Gibson, so money isn't too much of a factor. I'm looking for somewhere to start and I'm not interested in the lower end models. Thank you!

Hi Tamlee,

Welcome and it's good of you to do some homework before making your purchase. First of all, you already know you are deep into PRS territory, so I'm sure you expect to hear lots of love for the brand. If you are coming from a Les Paul background most here would point you to the McCarty 594 or even closer would be the SC594. It's in the middle of your $3K to $5K range and should be an excellent test comparison.

Hi Tamlee,

Welcome and it's good of you to do some homework before making your purchase. First of all, you already know you are deep into PRS territory, so I'm sure you expect to hear lots of love for the brand. If you are coming from a Les Paul background most here would point you to the McCarty 594 or even closer would be the SC594. It's in the middle of your $3K to $5K range and should be an excellent test comparison.

Awesome, thank you. Do you know if it's as heavy as the Les Paul? Is it chambered or weight relieved in any way. I'm not as young as I once was and something that isn't too heavy would be nice for a change. I'll have to get out to a local dealer some time to check that one out. Thank you again.

Awesome, thank you. Do you know if it's as heavy as the Les Paul? Is it chambered or weight relieved in any way. I'm not as young as I once was and something that isn't too heavy would be nice for a change. I'll have to get out to a local dealer some time to check that one out. Thank you again.
Not as heavy because it's not as thick. I can't say for certain but I don't think it's weight relieved. PRSH doesn't like the idea. Most PRSi (our way of saying plural) are around 8lbs give or take.

Hello I am new here and this is my first post I had my first PRS Custom 24 back in 1988
and it was a great guitar wish that I still had it today. Now I have a chance to get a used
1995 Custom 22 in Natural with the wide thin neck and Bird inlays. It has the push pull
on the Tone control and a 3 way switch.

Back