Introduce yourself!

Another new guy here. I've been playing for around 6-7 years now, mostly acoustic but I did have a Gibson Les Paul studio for a year or so and didn't like it much so traded it in on a Gibson J-45 that I love. Generally I play old fingerstyle blues but I listen to a lot of stuff so I started looking for a semi-hollow body, something lighter then my Les Paul and versatile for a lot of things.

I was almost settled on a PRS S2 semi-hollow Mira when opportunity knocked and I was able to get a Reclaimed Limited S2 Vela. (I may post the whole story of the hunt when the guitar gets here) It'll be my first PRS and should be here in a few days. I don't even know what it looks like yet, maybe I should have had them take some pics to send to me but it's all good. Part of the NGD experience.

Anyway, looking forward to the discussions here. Like I said, I'm mainly an acoustic guy so lots to learn...

-Jim

Hi,
Longtime TGP member, just joined here as I have a PRS Custom24 Experience 2010 that is just a beauty!
I'm sure I know a lot of people here.

Howdy!

S.
j

Eastern NC. Been playing 30 years but still only intermediate. I like early 90s usa peaveys, musicman, and now my current favorite ce24.

Hi, I'm a Noobie here this is my first post and I'm not certain I'm doing it right. I'm sure someone will let me know :) . Most of the 50+ years I've been playing has been on an acoustic doing rhythm (3 Martins). I've recently been moving into electric lead/rhythm. I have a Rickenbacker semi-hollow and I do love it but I've been coveting a friends PRS... that puppy does sing! He couldn't tell me the model name or number he just said it's a '97 and it ain't cheap. (?) ... So I guess I'm starting my research from here and won't purchase anything until I learn a whole lot more from you folks. My groups play mostly classic old rock n roll, Blues, rhythm n blues, country rock and some steely dan which I don't think really has a genre.

Hi, I'm a Noobie here this is my first post and I'm not certain I'm doing it right. I'm sure someone will let me know :) . Most of the 50+ years I've been playing has been on an acoustic doing rhythm (3 Martins). I've recently been moving into electric lead/rhythm. I have a Rickenbacker semi-hollow and I do love it but I've been coveting a friends PRS... that puppy does sing! He couldn't tell me the model name or number he just said it's a '97 and it ain't cheap. (?) ... So I guess I'm starting my research from here and won't purchase anything until I learn a whole lot more from you folks. My groups play mostly classic old rock n roll, Blues, rhythm n blues, country rock and some steely dan which I don't think really has a genre.

Hey Larry, welcome to the Forum! Lots of knowledgeable folks around to help guide you. (and give you a vigorous shove when the time is right!)

Heya all! I have been a mediocre player forever and pretty inactive during the past 6 years thanks to grad school. But recently I decided to get serious and started to put in a lot of hours everyday for practice! I am a huge Dream Theater fan, but I listen to wide variety of bands. I mostly play at home as hobby, my last band was 10 years ago :( Hope to be a part of this community as well!

Last edited:
Heya all! I have been a mediocre player forever and pretty inactive during the past 6 years thanks to grad school. But recently I decided to get serious and started to put in a lot of hours everyday for practice! I am a huge Dream Theater fan, but I listen to wide variety of bands. I mostly play at home as hobby, my last band was 10 years ago :( Hope to be a part of this community as well!

Welcome to the Forum! Never too late to get back after it!

I have made a few posts on here already, but....please allow me to introduce myself....

My name is Mark and I have been playing guitar for 33 years. I grew up playing in the shred-era of the late 80s. My HUGE influences when I was younger were bands more than players - Scorpions, Iron Maiden, and of course Metallica. Regarding players, I was blown away by Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai. I was also MASSIVELY influenced by Dweezil Zappa - the "Confessions" album changed my playing forever....

I began playing in early Death Metal bands in the Tampa-area. My first band was more influenced by Venom and Hellhammer than anything mentioned above. We had a lot of fun terrorizing the neighborhood with our open-garage rehearsals and skateboard parties. While we DID gig, is often for TASCO teen dance events (go figure) than "proper" gigs at clubs. We were young - I was MAYBE 15-16 at the time....

My earliest "quality" guitar was a Yamaha RGX shredder. My dream at the time (88-90) was to play and endorse Ibanez!! My first GOOD guitar was a 2nd hand (barely used) Ibanez 540S in Desert Sun Yellow. I still have it:

DSCN3349.jpg

This Ibanez is still pretty close to mint, even though I have had it for 29 years!!! It even still has the original "back-stop" tremsetter still in the cavity.

As I began to creep toward my late teens/early 20s my musical tastes changed. I formed a band with a friend of mine that we called "8 days after" (no relation to the Christian band of the same name). We went through many line-ups, but played MANY shows and released MANY DIY singles/CDs between 1992 and 2005. During this period I first discovered PRS. I loved the look, but the tone never gelled - which was ok, but I couldn't afford one!!! I continued to play Ibanez until 1996, when I switched over to playing Jackson guitars. I used to purchase and mod Ibanez guitars I would buy at pawn shops. One day I realized I could buy a USA Jackson (this was the AKAI-era) EXACTLY as I wanted for around $1400. While still more expensive than a used, then modified Ibanez the bigger truth was that the Wizard necks were starting to get too thin for me.

It was also around this time I purchased my first PRS - a Tortoise Shell CE24. It was BEAUTIFUL. It played great. It sounded terrible to me. I was sad and gladly sold it when the A/C went out on my car. Maybe a year or so later, I found MY guitar - a Solar Jackson PC-1. This was my main stage guitar from 1997 until 2014-15. It was AWESOME!!!! FAT neck, nice tone woods, great tuning stability. I DID modify it though. I pulled out the sustainer circuit because it sucked tone. I removed the middle pickup and tone control. I installed an SD Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio HS3 in the neck. I put a dummy pickup in the middle, lowered all the way down. I changed the 5-way blade to a 3-way. Here she is:

391080_3041202587018_1171663363_3298727_457540915_n.jpg

Eventually I wanted to try PRS again because I have always WANTED to play and LOVE PRS. The big push came after my mom died this past September. Having been born in Maryland, and my mom being from Maryland - and most of her side of the family still residing in Maryland, I felt a geographical pull toward the Maryland-made instrument for different reasons.

I had always had bad luck with the PRS' I had purchased in the past, so I decided to try a different "formula". I order an S2 Standard Singlecut. At the time I had just joined my current band - Demented Truth. I was playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but wasn't digging the scale length, knob placement, weight, etc. I liked the overall tone, but loathed the instrument. I figured by trying the Singlecut S2 I might have some luck. Well, I did!!!! Here she is:

S2%20singlecut%202_zps6a03gyfk.jpg

Everything about this guitar is KILLER. I was so inspired I sold ALL of my other guitars (except the Yellow Ibanez) and used the profits to purchase PRS guitars. I have flipped my stock around a little, but I am currently pleased with what I own. My band plays out 2-3 times a month doing original music, and I have had a PRS onstage with me every show since making the switch!!

Here are a couple of live shots:

15078541_10210675095731503_7796998368189274104_n_zpsrstcc0el.jpg

14572413_10210614433458840_417377115584207320_n_zpstzio62of.jpg

16711743_10211499397578534_5178317906923857464_n_zpsiphytakf.jpg

Reactions: TNJ
I have made a few posts on here already, but....please allow me to introduce myself....

My name is Mark and I have been playing guitar for 33 years. I grew up playing in the shred-era of the late 80s. My HUGE influences when I was younger were bands more than players - Scorpions, Iron Maiden, and of course Metallica. Regarding players, I was blown away by Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai. I was also MASSIVELY influenced by Dweezil Zappa - the "Confessions" album changed my playing forever....

I began playing in early Death Metal bands in the Tampa-area. My first band was more influenced by Venom and Hellhammer than anything mentioned above. We had a lot of fun terrorizing the neighborhood with our open-garage rehearsals and skateboard parties. While we DID gig, is often for TASCO teen dance events (go figure) than "proper" gigs at clubs. We were young - I was MAYBE 15-16 at the time....

My earliest "quality" guitar was a Yamaha RGX shredder. My dream at the time (88-90) was to play and endorse Ibanez!! My first GOOD guitar was a 2nd hand (barely used) Ibanez 540S in Desert Sun Yellow. I still have it:

DSCN3349.jpg

This Ibanez is still pretty close to mint, even though I have had it for 29 years!!! It even still has the original "back-stop" tremsetter still in the cavity.

As I began to creep toward my late teens/early 20s my musical tastes changed. I formed a band with a friend of mine that we called "8 days after" (no relation to the Christian band of the same name). We went through many line-ups, but played MANY shows and released MANY DIY singles/CDs between 1992 and 2005. During this period I first discovered PRS. I loved the look, but the tone never gelled - which was ok, but I couldn't afford one!!! I continued to play Ibanez until 1996, when I switched over to playing Jackson guitars. I used to purchase and mod Ibanez guitars I would buy at pawn shops. One day I realized I could buy a USA Jackson (this was the AKAI-era) EXACTLY as I wanted for around $1400. While still more expensive than a used, then modified Ibanez the bigger truth was that the Wizard necks were starting to get too thin for me.

It was also around this time I purchased my first PRS - a Tortoise Shell CE24. It was BEAUTIFUL. It played great. It sounded terrible to me. I was sad and gladly sold it when the A/C went out on my car. Maybe a year or so later, I found MY guitar - a Solar Jackson PC-1. This was my main stage guitar from 1997 until 2014-15. It was AWESOME!!!! FAT neck, nice tone woods, great tuning stability. I DID modify it though. I pulled out the sustainer circuit because it sucked tone. I removed the middle pickup and tone control. I installed an SD Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio HS3 in the neck. I put a dummy pickup in the middle, lowered all the way down. I changed the 5-way blade to a 3-way. Here she is:

391080_3041202587018_1171663363_3298727_457540915_n.jpg

Eventually I wanted to try PRS again because I have always WANTED to play and LOVE PRS. The big push came after my mom died this past September. Having been born in Maryland, and my mom being from Maryland - and most of her side of the family still residing in Maryland, I felt a geographical pull toward the Maryland-made instrument for different reasons.

I had always had bad luck with the PRS' I had purchased in the past, so I decided to try a different "formula". I order an S2 Standard Singlecut. At the time I had just joined my current band - Demented Truth. I was playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but wasn't digging the scale length, knob placement, weight, etc. I liked the overall tone, but loathed the instrument. I figured by trying the Singlecut S2 I might have some luck. Well, I did!!!! Here she is:

S2%20singlecut%202_zps6a03gyfk.jpg

Everything about this guitar is KILLER. I was so inspired I sold ALL of my other guitars (except the Yellow Ibanez) and used the profits to purchase PRS guitars. I have flipped my stock around a little, but I am currently pleased with what I own. My band plays out 2-3 times a month doing original music, and I have had a PRS onstage with me every show since making the switch!!

Here are a couple of live shots:

15078541_10210675095731503_7796998368189274104_n_zpsrstcc0el.jpg

14572413_10210614433458840_417377115584207320_n_zpstzio62of.jpg

16711743_10211499397578534_5178317906923857464_n_zpsiphytakf.jpg

Good stuff!

New member. Arthur's the name. I just pull the trigger on a 594 (Faded Whale Blue, 10-top) and am now patiently waiting. I've been playing for decades but mostly acoustically until the last decade or so. The PRS will fill a tonal hole in my Fender strat, tele, and Gretsch falcon collection. On the acoustic side I've been a Taylor fan. The 914CE is my go to acoustic currently. Musically I'm all over the map. Bluegrass to heavier rock. I've played drums for many years in bands and guitars for fun. That's now changing and guitar playing is what I prefer doing.

New member. Arthur's the name. I just pull the trigger on a 594 (Faded Whale Blue, 10-top) and am now patiently waiting. I've been playing for decades but mostly acoustically until the last decade or so. The PRS will fill a tonal hole in my Fender strat, tele, and Gretsch falcon collection. On the acoustic side I've been a Taylor fan. The 914CE is my go to acoustic currently. Musically I'm all over the map. Bluegrass to heavier rock. I've played drums for many years in bands and guitars for fun. That's now changing and guitar playing is what I prefer doing.

Welcome to the Forum, Arthur! Great choice in the 594!

Life tends to get in the way of playing .... after grad school there was this then that. Glad to hear you made the commitment!

Same arsenal. For many years playing Strats, Teles, and an old 6120 which is going through a binding transformation on its own. A cedar-topped 714ce is my favorite acoustic.

You'll like the 594. Post photos!

Another new guy here. I've been playing for around 6-7 years now, mostly acoustic but I did have a Gibson Les Paul studio for a year or so and didn't like it much so traded it in on a Gibson J-45 that I love. Generally I play old fingerstyle blues but I listen to a lot of stuff so I started looking for a semi-hollow body, something lighter then my Les Paul and versatile for a lot of things.

I was almost settled on a PRS S2 semi-hollow Mira when opportunity knocked and I was able to get a Reclaimed Limited S2 Vela. (I may post the whole story of the hunt when the guitar gets here) It'll be my first PRS and should be here in a few days. I don't even know what it looks like yet, maybe I should have had them take some pics to send to me but it's all good. Part of the NGD experience.

Anyway, looking forward to the discussions here. Like I said, I'm mainly an acoustic guy so lots to learn...

-Jim

Welcome! Have you ever tried a 12-fret 00 for fingerstyle?

Hello! Steely Dan had so many different guitarists ...

Back