Introduce yourself!

Greetings! As my name here implies, I am a blues guy and have been playing blues and blues-influenced rock and originals for more than 50 years. I might be an older dog but am still actively playing music in a band called Thunder Wolf here in Summerville, S.C. I am originally from Nashua, New Hampshire, but have called many places home. Thanks to the Air Force, I was stationed during the "Cold War" years in Maine, West Berlin in Germany, and Keflavik, Iceland. However, I have also called Maine, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, Texas and South Carolina home at various times since.

I have seen a lot of good instruments come and go from my personal stable, but until a few weeks ago I had never owned a PRS. However, I took the plunge in January with Sweetwater and now own a Black Gold Burst SC-594. I'm kinda kicking myself now for waiting so dang long to own one.

Anyway, I am glad to be here and glad to be part of the PRS Family. Rock on!!!!!!

Congrats on your first! Better late than never! Welcome to the Forum.

Greetings! As my name here implies, I am a blues guy and have been playing blues and blues-influenced rock and originals for more than 50 years. I might be an older dog but am still actively playing music in a band called Thunder Wolf here in Summerville, S.C. I am originally from Nashua, New Hampshire, but have called many places home. Thanks to the Air Force, I was stationed during the "Cold War" years in Maine, West Berlin in Germany, and Keflavik, Iceland. However, I have also called Maine, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, Texas and South Carolina home at various times since.

I have seen a lot of good instruments come and go from my personal stable, but until a few weeks ago I had never owned a PRS. However, I took the plunge in January with Sweetwater and now own a Black Gold Burst SC-594. I'm kinda kicking myself now for waiting so dang long to own one.

Anyway, I am glad to be here and glad to be part of the PRS Family. Rock on!!!!!!

Welcome aboard! The unwritten rule here is pics or yo bought an Epiphone!

Hello everyone

Been on the hunt for a guitar-related forum to kill some down time on. I've found a couple of others to be quite hostile and full of sops but this place seems very mature in comparison.

I also considered joining specifically because I bought entry to the PRS world with a lowly SE Standard very recently. I was shocked at the quality, feel, and demonic noise I got from the 245 singlecut. They sell for between 700-900 Australian dollars where I live, and these days (unless you're shopping second hand) that doesn't seem to buy you much guitar, to me anyway. I was on the hunt for a "spare" guitar as my main axe is getting a bit tired, but it has now been usurped! Wonderful product, and probably the first guitar I have bought that won't be getting any upgrades - I don't know what PRS did with the SE 245 bridge pickups but they are incredible. And although I had heard the Indonesian built guitars were exceptional for their price-point I now know for myself. Very decent fretwork.

I've been playing guitar/bass for 8 or 9 years, not really sure, and a musician in general for a bit longer. I currently run a doom/drone/ambient metal project.

Here is my little family (minus a home-made fretless bass and an Ibanez acoustic)

I believe now the only guitar I will be buying for the next decade or so is a proper US 245. Because if this is anything to go by the real deal will be mindblowing, and between this and the strat I don't think I will need another axe.

& to toothace above, my LP is an Epiphone! haha. Not the run of the mill though, alder bodied/mahogany top Czech build, it's all a bit different in dimensions and feel (no epi or Gibson parts directly bolted on) etc. Some of them are great axes ;)

Hello everyone

Been on the hunt for a guitar-related forum to kill some down time on. I've found a couple of others to be quite hostile and full of sops but this place seems very mature in comparison.

I also considered joining specifically because I bought entry to the PRS world with a lowly SE Standard very recently. I was shocked at the quality, feel, and demonic noise I got from the 245 singlecut. They sell for between 700-900 Australian dollars where I live, and these days (unless you're shopping second hand) that doesn't seem to buy you much guitar, to me anyway. I was on the hunt for a "spare" guitar as my main axe is getting a bit tired, but it has now been usurped! Wonderful product, and probably the first guitar I have bought that won't be getting any upgrades - I don't know what PRS did with the SE 245 bridge pickups but they are incredible. And although I had heard the Indonesian built guitars were exceptional for their price-point I now know for myself. Very decent fretwork.

I've been playing guitar/bass for 8 or 9 years, not really sure, and a musician in general for a bit longer. I currently run a doom/drone/ambient metal project.

Here is my little family (minus a home-made fretless bass and an Ibanez acoustic)

I believe now the only guitar I will be buying for the next decade or so is a proper US 245. Because if this is anything to go by the real deal will be mindblowing, and between this and the strat I don't think I will need another axe.

& to toothace above, my LP is an Epiphone! haha. Not the run of the mill though, alder bodied/mahogany top Czech build, it's all a bit different in dimensions and feel (no epi or Gibson parts directly bolted on) etc. Some of them are great axes ;)

Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on your first!

Hi All,

I'm from the Netherlands, and in my search for a good quality singlecut guitar I came across PRS guitars.
I compared a SC-245 with 58/15 pickups recently to some customshop singlecuts from the brand with the G, and felt the PRS was better in terms of build quality (especially finishing), ergonomics and tuning stability
I really like the 58/15 pickups, but I found out the SC245 is discontinued. I joined this forum to see if I can find out which PRS I should buy now :)

Hi All,

I'm from the Netherlands, and in my search for a good quality singlecut guitar I came across PRS guitars.
I compared a SC-245 with 58/15 pickups recently to some customshop singlecuts from the brand with the G, and felt the PRS was better in terms of build quality (especially finishing), ergonomics and tuning stability
I really like the 58/15 pickups, but I found out the SC245 is discontinued. I joined this forum to see if I can find out which PRS I should buy now :)
Try a 594 sc

Hey now!

My name is Alfred Millikan and most people call me Phred. I have been into "jam" oriented music since I discovered the Grateful Dead in the early 80s. Long time ski instructor/racer/mountain bike guide/racer who lived in Park City, Utah for 21 years. Relocated back to home state of Tennessee.

Got started late in life playing guitar (at age 38--I am 51 now) but was "raised up" by two total tone snobs who insisted I get a good tube amp and a quality guitar to start learning. Glad they did as I have owned over 20 guitars and a dozen tube amps. Sticking with what I have for now, or at least until G.A.S. sets in again.

I have come along way in 13 years. I had a band in Utah called the Downhill Blues Band but it is just an "idea" until I find some more like minded people to jam with. I have played on stage many times, once in front of over 600 people and got a standing O' after my solo in Hey Joe. That was cool as hell but also as close to rock star as I care to get at my age.

Stumbled upon the forum looking for info about Marty McFly's guitars in Back to the Future 2... been visiting PRS.com for over a decade and never saw the forum...

Glad to be here!

Jam on!
Phred

Ha--I forgot to add my family photo and add that I just sold the RD so I will have to take a new photo soon:

10981544_10153645177703266_1289495586593950655_n.jpg

L>R: 1992 Squier 2--burnt and rebuilt--"Red Hot Mama"
2013 USA Partscaster "Phattoblaster"
1992 Yairi Alvarez Acoustic
2010 McCarty Burst SC245 Ltd Ed "Orange Sunshine"
Gibson RD Reissue (sold recently)
2004 Custom 24 Artist "Scarlet"

Ceriatone Overlord Supreme 50W head
Mesa/Boogie f30 Combo

Last edited:
Hey now!

My name is Alfred Millikan and most people call me Phred. I have been into "jam" oriented music since I discovered the Grateful Dead in the early 80s. Long time ski instructor/racer/mountain bike guide/racer who lived in Park City, Utah for 21 years. Relocated back to home state of Tennessee.

Got started late in life playing guitar (at age 38--I am 51 now) but was "raised up" by two total tone snobs who insisted I get a good tube amp and a quality guitar to start learning. Glad they did as I have owned over 20 guitars and a dozen tube amps. Sticking with what I have for now, or at least until G.A.S. sets in again.

I have come along way in 13 years. I had a band in Utah called the Downhill Blues Band but it is just an "idea" until I find some more like minded people to jam with. I have played on stage many times, once in front of over 600 people and got a standing O' after my solo in Hey Joe. That was cool as hell but also as close to rock star as I care to get at my age.

Stumbled upon the forum looking for info about Marty McFly's guitars in Back to the Future 2... been visiting PRS.com for over a decade and never saw the forum...

Glad to be here!

Jam on!
Phred
Welcome loving the dead and company stuff with john Mayer Althea... what a tune

Welcome loving the dead and company stuff with john Mayer Althea... what a tune
Thanks so much! Stoked to be here!

Imagine how much I/WE loved seeing him play thru all those PRS guitars and amps! At first, it seemed such an odd choice, then all you had to do was hear him talk about his passion for the pantheon of GD music and then talk about how he thinks about what Jerry would be thinking of him on stage. No brainer. May not sing well and wear weird clothing sometimes but man that guy can play. "if you get confused, just listen to the music play!"

Thanks so much! Stoked to be here!

Imagine how much I/WE loved seeing him play thru all those PRS guitars and amps! At first, it seemed such an odd choice, then all you had to do was hear him talk about his passion for the pantheon of GD music and then talk about how he thinks about what Jerry would be thinking of him on stage. No brainer. May not sing well and wear weird clothing sometimes but man that guy can play. "if you get confused, just listen to the music play!"
He's an amazing player love his periscope jams!
Must have been an awesome experience seeing them think I downloaded 3 concerts now from I tunes, the original band was way before my time by jerry was an icon!

He's an amazing player love his periscope jams!
Must have been an awesome experience seeing them think I downloaded 3 concerts now from I tunes, the original band was way before my time by jerry was an icon!
Yeah man. Jerry was awesome and I am glad I got to see him live many times. But, luckily, you can go to live music archive and dig deep into the amazing depths of Grateful Dead. ✌️ Look for stuff in 1977, 1972, 1974, heck I could name any year but those are great places to start and find the band at several peaks in their career.

Yeah man. Jerry was awesome and I am glad I got to see him live many times. But, luckily, you can go to live music archive and dig deep into the amazing depths of Grateful Dead. ✌️ Look for stuff in 1977, 1972, 1974, heck I could name any year but those are great places to start and find the band at several peaks in their career.
I know it's not a prs but did you see someone that worked on the original wolf is making them again I forget the luthier they look great though

Hey everyone.

Told my story on the "nicest thread" thread.

That one seems to have run its course.

My new 2017 SE Custom 24 (Madelyn) and I just want to say Hi.

Last edited:
Back