Introduce yourself!

Hello all, been with PRS Guitars since 2005, my gateway guitar was a Whale Blue SE Singlecut (which I still proudly own!) and over the years managed to acquire a Blue Crab Burst S2 Custom 24 (my main guitar) and am hoping to expand my PRS arsenal for use in my band, The Psykodelik Vampyres...looking forward to discussing PRS Guitars with you here!

^^^V""V^^^

Welcome to the Forum! Cool band name!

Hi,
I'm Ben.
I got my first PRS - SE Standard 24 in Translucent Blue a couple of months ago.
I got a black SE Singlecut Trem less than a month later when I noticed it'd been sitting at JB Hi Fi quite a while, & had dropped down - & bought it sans trem arm & gig bag.
Electric Factory were good enough to provide me a trem arm for free, & I happened to have a spare case so no probs.
Turned out the Singlecut was 4 years old, clearly sat in the distributors, then JB for several years, waiting for someone like me to realise it just needed a good home & some new strings!
To be honest, I think it's actually at least as good as the SE Standard, probably better, just without the coil split, & of course since it's a Singlecut rather than the newer 245, only has a single vol & tone knob.

PRS probably first came on the radar for me back in the late '80s - early '90s when I saw that Rick Brewster & Bob Spencer were playing PRS in The Angels.
There were no S2s or SE's back then, so owning a PRS seemed like a dream that would never come to pass.
I couldn't (& Still struggle to) justify paying over $1k for a guitar; probably because I've not come from a wealthy family, or ever had a particularly highly paid job. I can see the value, & I know how beautiful & well made the customs & private stock are, but both can't afford them, & would be too paranoid to play them, in case I scratched or damaged it.
That said if a guitar isn't being played, I can't see the point in holding onto it; they're musical instruments, not just novelty decorations.

To cut a long story short, I'm a recycled husband, & had a daughter with my ex wife.
She (my daughter) passed away from cancer just over a year ago, but in the months before she left us, we got into some discussions about PRS & other guitars, & she made me aware - or increased my awareness of the SE range.
Until then, I didn't realise the SE's were are good as they are, or that they came in at around the $700 range Au.

I'm now paying off my credit card, after getting the 2 SE's in quick succession, & since that made 3 guitar purchases this year, I won't be getting another this year - as I want to stay married & not stress out my wife too much.
I've got my eye on the SE 245 as my next guitar though; & I think it looks great in the new/reintroduced Cherry Sunburst.
To get it in the new 2017 model, with the PRS signature on the headstock, well that's the icing on the cake.

Unfortunately no retailers over here seem to stock the 2017 range yet, so the plan is to hold back until I've paid off my credit card, by which time I should be able to make my next purchase.

My first guitar was a pretty crappy Cimar strat style guitar, which was followed by a Gibson SG circa 1975 - which proved to me the name on the headstock (for some brands) is not a promise of quality. The neck broke on me twice where it meets the headstock, & when I had it repaired, was told that this had happened to this guitar previously!
I've also owned a few other less memorable guitars, like Ibanez RG 350 with Floyd Rose, & some that are so unmemorable, I can vaguely remember what they looked like, but not much else detail.
There was a Les Paul copy in black back there somewhere, that never held tune, & had weak pickups, a few others that got the Pete Townshend treatment (I was an angry young man at the time), & a few sub par acoustic guitars.

My ex did not enjoy my guitar playing at all, so there were several years there when my guitars did little more than gather dust.
When we split up, I took a few years to pick up the pieces & hook up with my current wife, so again the guitar playing really took a backseat.

The past few years I've really tried to get back into playing, & should be playing now instead of posting!
My daughter was 15 when she passed, & had been really getting into guitar, having gone through a few different instruments before moving to guitar.
Some of my last conversations were about music, & I recall her telling me she didn't know what to do.
At the time I didn't realise how sick she was, & thought she was planning her future after school (which never came) so I told her to focus on her passion.
I now take my advice to her as advice to myself, & have come to realise, that often enough the advice we give is the advice we should take.

So it's back to practising guitar for me now.
I'll probably never be a pro musician, or even play any real gigs, but life's too short to put your passions in the backseat long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only polite to introduce ones self
I bought my first PRS used in 1988 or so, a Std24. I had heard of these, and got lucky enough to find one. Wish I still had it, but I sold it to buy a Super 400...
I play Klein guitars a lot. I have three. I know Lorenzo German pretty well. (Please, if you're one of his former customers, don't ask me to help you get your guitar that you ordered way back there, I have one on order too)

It's a shame about Klein, those were stellar instruments. Jody Fisher let me play his for a few minutes, when I was taking his class at National Guitar Workshop, about 15 years ago. I currently own two headless and Love the concept, though I still think no one has done it as well as Lorenzo did, back in the day.

Hi, gang!

Although I spent years on the old Birds and Moons page, I just discovered this site a few weeks ago, while doing some internet research connected to shopping for a 594. I wound up instead pulling the trigger on a Wood Library Custom 24 just this afternoon; but that's an entire other story.

I bought my first PRS, a Std 24, in 1985; I believe the first year they were widely available to the public. The gentleman I consider my guitar mentor bought one of the first ones to hit Tucson, Arizona. (At Rainbow Guitars, which is still thriving today.). He bought a Navy Blue one, which he still has today. Within a month of playing his, I purchased a Pearl White one. I gigged steadily with it for three years, then after relocating to Miami, it was stolen when my apartment was burglarized - which caused much anguish, as you can imagine.

In the years since, I have owned, then eventually sold, a CU24, and a Goldtop Singlecut. I bought the 24 used on the net. It was ungodly heavy, and I've never missed it. The Goldtop was a featherweight, and many times I've regretted selling that one.

I still own a McCarty IRW, bought new in 2000, and a McCarty Standard Soapbar IRW, bought in 2002. My new Cu24 should arrive this Friday, and needless to say, I'm pretty jazzed about that.

My formal music training is as a vocalist; I sang from grade 7 all the way through college. Instead of teaching choir, through an odd set of circumstances and serendipity I got into the firefighting field, and retired three years ago, after 25 years with Orlando Fire Department. The job was good to me, and because of the schedule I was able to gig nonstop throughout my adult life.

However, I retired with a very bad back - spinal injuries are very common in the firefighting field, just from wear and tear. As a result, the weight of any guitar I buy is a primary consideration.

I taught myself to play guitar at age 15, and played my first paid gig after six months. 40 years later, I play out between one and half a dozen times a month. Pocket money, but enough that I actually claim it to the IRS.

There is an absurd collection of music equipment at our house, currently about 20 electrics, three acoustics, and six amps. It's a sickness

Last edited:
Hi, new member here!

My name is Jorge and I live in Toledo-Spain. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and PRS guitars for years.

I own a beautiful Hollowbody 2 from 2011 and a brand new CU-24 in Trampas Green.

That's all for now, see you all around!!!

Hi, new member here!

My name is Jorge and I live in Toledo-Spain. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and PRS guitars for years.

I own a beautiful Hollowbody 2 from 2011 and a brand new CU-24 in Trampas Green.

Hey Jorge, welcome to the Forum!

Hi, new member here!

Bienvenidos, Jorge!

Bienvenidos, yo vivia in Barcelona for un año y medio. Me encanta España!

Hey there folks, New to the forum. My name is Robert and i like guitars, as well as a few non-guitar related things.

Ive been playing guitar since i was around 15, im now 32. I spent about 7 of those years disliking PRS guitars for no good reason, 7 or so years going through various phases of denial, 1 year of pure jealousy, and almost 2 years of unreal happiness as a PRS owner.

I own a 2009 Custom 24 with a wide thin neck, and a 2015 SC245 with a pattern regular neck. My friends say its odd that i don't prefer one over the other, but i chalk it up to PRS being the best in the biz at making necks. I imagine you guys will understand that feeling.

Have a great monday.

"I own a 2009 Custom 24 with a wide thin neck, and a 2015 SC245 with a pattern regular neck. My friends say its odd that i don't prefer one over the other, but i chalk it up to PRS being the best in the biz at making necks. I imagine you guys will understand that feeling." - Robert

Totally understand. I have two wide/fat and a Pattern Thin, and have no problem adapting to either.

Welcome, Robert! :)

Hello all,
New to the PRS forums, obviously, I am not a current instrument owner but I have been a fan for a very long time. until recently I have not been on a financial situation to even consider the possibility of owning one of these fine instruments. I was hoping this year to purchase an SE model as a sort of test drive before possibly going custom 24 or something along those lines.
I am, however, sad to say that my search has been exhausting and less than fruitful at finding me a Trampas green 2017 Zach Myers. I had hoped to get one as a present to myself for Christmas this year but only seem to be able to find the other color option available.
While I understand that the "upgrades" for 2017 are minor, the real thing was the desire to get the signature Paul Reed Smith logo on the headstock. other than the lack of availability, I am still determined to find me one. I am looking forward to visiting these forums often and hope to be a proud owner of one of these instruments very soon!!

Just seems a bit ubsurd that you can't find that color anywhere. If sunburst were my deal I would be in luck lol.

Back