Introduce yourself!

Hello and welcome. You made a good choice there. Nice guitar. Are you using the Focusrite exclusively or did you buy an amplifier also? Are you taking lessons?

Oh yeah, forgot about the amp. It's a little Roland Cube Micro. I actually live in an RV so space is a bit limited, so I got the small amp. I could probably go a little bigger, but it sounds great and it's very portable.

I was taking lessons for a couple of months, but I stopped because I felt like I wasn't really learning anything anymore. My instructor (who is a great guy and I like a lot) would tell me that the key to everything was finding that one song I just HAD to learn, and then learn it (and he'd help), but I couldn't find one I didn't get bored with after five minutes. I wanted to learn the mechanics and theory of it rather than learning songs just yet. I started reading up on theory on my own, and was working on building chord progressions. Then he convinced me to dive into barre chords, and I discovered quickly that my left wrist (which has been broken for 12 years) was hurting really bad after about five minutes. That, coupled with what I hear is typical with noobs.. being unable to make your fingers cooperate, was frustrating. So I've kinda taken a step back from it, but I'm dying to continue with it. I still practice what I've already learned, but until I can do something with my wrist, it's gonna be hard to progress. Surgery isn't an option due to cost (even with insurance), so a friend who is a massage therapist is going to attempt some massage-type techniques to loosen it up.

Hello! When I first started playing, a Custom 22 became my dream guitar. I saved up my pennies and purchased a brand new, gorgeous, one-piece 10 top Custom 22 about a decade ago. Honestly, it wasn't for me. I think I was still a little too new and didn't know what I was getting myself into. It had the wide-thin neck, which I have since learned is definitely not my preference, and it didn't sound like what I had envisioned in my head.

Fast forward 10ish years of largely ignoring the brand. I just picked up an S2 Custom 24 Satin a couple weeks back and, frankly, it really impresses me. I actually get along with this neck and I have a much better idea of how to dial in a particular sound with the amp, effects, and guitar controls (which I used to ignore and just dime). It has me thinking that I very much misjudged PRS back in the day, and I'm looking forward to owning another Core series guitar.

My go-to is a Gibson Historic Chambered R8 through a Dr. Z Maz 38 NR, though I have a real soft spot for quirky guitars like my Melody Maker SG and Fender Mustang. I play mostly original music that I have no idea how to categorize genre-wise, and I favor mostly clean, low drive tones, and I absolutely hate reverb abuse.

I have never used one but I know that the Roland Cube Micro is a popular amplifier, and of course it must be ideal for your roving domain (cool). I am not a teacher but I have helped a few people get started. One of the first things I do is ask them if they have a song that they wish to learn. When they discover that they can play (albeit crudely) one of their favorite songs with the three simple chords I had just shown them in five minutes they are usually over the moon. The scales and any theory that I am able to impart come later. Playing along to a song from the beginning to the end sans mistakes and keeping good time is difficult, it requires discipline, but it is necessary if you aspire to reach a reasonable level of proficiency. I think this is maybe what your teacher was hoping to see.

Your wrist injury sounds bad. But you will find that barre chords are often easier to play on a fingerboard with a more rounded profile. Maybe you can examine your playing position too.

Dewayne in OKC here. Currently playing a Schecter Electric and a Takamine Acoustic. Just order an SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary in Chestnut. Should be here manana. I'm stoked. Looks like a beautiful guitar and it appears to play like butter. I'm just a hack but hope to get better now that I have an awesome guitar that will inspire me to pick it up and learn. Looking forward to learning more on these forums and about guitars in general and playing better.
Later....

hi there- i'm new to the forum. Thrilled to be here. I had a 2012 SE custom 22 Semi hollow and i loved it. I traded it for a Charvel Bass..but I am getting ready to buy a 2015 hollowbody 2..possibly tonight. Anyway glad to be here.

Electric guitars: 2005 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton signature series, 2009 Gibson SG Standard, 2012 Phred Ernesto VH semi-hollow, 1994 Ibanez Talman, 1986 Kramer Focus 6000

Main Amps: 2013 Fender Deluxe Reverb 1964 reissue, Mesa Boogie Rectoverb, Epiphone Valve jr Class A amp

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. PRS Archon owner here. My main guitar is a Music Man Axis. Love the amp by the way...

Hello,

Introducing myself; from Belgium.

Guitars: Gibosn les Paul Standard 2008, souped up USA strat from 1996, Washburn HB35, Richwood Les Paul Copy, Burny RLC 60
Amps: Peavey Studio Pro, Johnson Millennium JM150

First time I really started seriously considering PRS guitars is via Scott Grove (if you know him, you can already see his influence in my current gear list haha). I'm looking for a nice used PRS SE currently. The price drop in the 2016 models are VERY tempting too though.

I like extreme metal and jazz, alternative rock, some 70s funk soul, ... I can dig some prog every now and then. I like Opeth quite a bit for instance...

Cheers!

Hello rardyrard and welcome. Scott Grove is the king of rock and roll and knows all there is to know about guitars. I know this because he told me himself :) Any particular used SE you are interested in? There are many about and maybe there will be many more when more people receive their newly ordered 2017 editions.

Yes I know, Scott Grove is kindof a special case and definitely not everything he says needs to be taken at face value haha.
I'm inclined to get a custom 22 and found this old model for €250 second hand. Also made a different thread about what I want more specifically

I've been fooling around for a few years with some "starter pack" guitars I had: an older Squier Strat and an Epi Les Paul Special II. After finally dedicating myself over the last couple of months to improve my playing, I wanted to mark the occasion with an upgraded axe.

After testing many different makes and models that I had an interest in, I stumbled across a used 2014 SE Custom 24 in Sapphire Blue that I didn't want to put back down. So, I put down a deposit to make sure it didn't disappear on me, ran home and grabbed the old ones I had, and traded up.

Now I just need to play well enough to deserve this beautiful and sweet sounding guitar!

...Now I just need to play well enough to deserve this beautiful and sweet sounding guitar!

If you bought it, you deserve it.

The guitar doesn't require some level of player skill, instead, it helps you to get there. It should not hold you back like the starters you had will.

Attitude is as much a key to success as practice. You ARE the right guy for that guitar, and that guitar IS right for you. You will improve because you will put in the time and the guitar will respond. You will demand as much of your gear as you do yourself. You will trust the process and you will expect that the guitar will not hold you back. The only surprise will be how much quicker you learn because the gear isn't pissing you off and needing to be tuned again.

Attitude is as much a key to success as practice. You ARE the right guy for that guitar, and that guitar IS right for you. You will improve because you will put in the time and the guitar will respond. You will demand as much of your gear as you do yourself.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

SILVER.jpg

GOLD.jpg

PLATINUM.jpg

Hello all, been with PRS Guitars since 2005, my gateway guitar was a Whale Blue SE Singlecut (which I still proudly own!) and over the years managed to acquire a Blue Crab Burst S2 Custom 24 (my main guitar) and am hoping to expand my PRS arsenal for use in my band, The Psykodelik Vampyres...looking forward to discussing PRS Guitars with you here!

^^^V""V^^^

Back