Introduce yourself!

A noble career choice.
Embrace turning 28. It just gets you a bit closer to the prime of your life.
Many thanks, sir!

It definitely is the prime of my life. My son just turned a year old and my wife and I celebrated three years together.

The only problem is how much this job takes a toll on ones body. Eight years has done a LOT.

Hello. I'm 46. Born in Brazil. Moved to New York in 1993 (I was 23). Been playing since 1985 (I was 15). My background is design and branding although today I (co)own a speed shop on Long Island. My musical influences are VERY diverse and unbiased. I've been in many bands and recorded quite a bit but today I only play for fun (no gigs). I've been married for over 20 (it works for as long as all guitars are the same color!) and have 3 kids (B14, B11 and G8).

I've always had more than a few guitars, usually Stratocasters (I'm a big fan of the MIJ replicas from the '70s) and the shred-type Ibanez. Later a few Teles (love them). In my opinion, when you start on Strats, with their flat ergonomics, it's hard to get used to LPs or anything with an angle on the neck. Until one day I fell in love with a Les Paul (1960 Classic Model, Plain top Cherryburst with Burstbucker pups). That guitar increased my tolerance to change.

A few years later, around 2011 my best friend, a Brazilian Photographer, bought a PRS Custom 24 (10 Top, Mateo Blue, HFS/HFS+) at Matt Umanov in NYC. History goes that in order to re-enter Brazil, with his photography equipment, he had to leave the guitar behind to avoid blowing his import quota. I promptly obliged :)

At the time my go-to guitars were the LP Classic and a Custom Telecaster (every once in a while I'd pick up one of the Strats or a Gretsch 6120SSLVO). I had about 10 guitars but most of them stayed in their cases. After about six months I looked back and noticed that I had played NOTHING but this PRS. It was absolutely strange how I had gone against all my habits and changed my notion of what a guitar should be or sound like, all because of this one blue C24.

In the past 5 years I've been watching this forum. I learned about Paul, about PRS, about their pickups, amps, cables, strings LOL... kinda went a bit over the top.

Today I finally joined the Forum, for no particular reason. Last year I thought I had enough information to trade some guitars in and start searching for a few PRS which had impressed me the most. I had been playing them for years and a few characteristics had stand out (for my taste), so I kinda knew what I wanted.

Talking about 'taste'... since you asked. I'm not big on the flame/fancy tops, I think their incredibly beautiful but not a priority; I'm not a fan of ceramic magnet pickups, although my friend's C24 has HFS and sounds great (also aesthetically I prefer nickel covered); I like guitars with tremolos, even though I don't use it much having the springs gives the guitar a extra layer of resonance to my ears; I dig split-coils and usable tone pots (I use them compulsively); I prefer 21/22 frets over 24.

In less then a year I went from having no PRS to having 3. Today I played all of them, all the time (unlike some of my vintage guitars, which went unplayed for years!). In fact, I've been more eager to play than ever. I play thru either an Egnater Tweaker 15 or a old MusicMan 210 SixtyFive with Jensens. I have a few effects but usually play pretty straight.

Here's what I went for:
2013 DGT - love the control configuration, split-coil and the pickups are just satisfying! It's white with the maple top.
2012 HB/SCII - Black, 57/08s. I love the Piezo and neck on this one. Strung with 12s. Found used at a GC and sniped it.
2010 53/10 - It's basically a McCarty with the torched 53/10 pups. Only 100 made? 25 per color?... mine is Black Slate.

I think I'll finally look for a Custom 24, most likely with 59/09s... maybe in Blue, since my loaner is across the world.

And then that's it. After that one no more. I swear! :)

Welcome aboard "officially." Your post made me belly laugh. Well, not the whole post. Just the last line! Good luck with that!!

Hi all!
New to the forum, not new to slobbering over beautiful PRS guitars. Have enjoyed the aesthetic and sound since listening to Incubus (sad to see Mike E no longer plays PRS!) back in middle school 16+ years ago. Have been an acoustic man for most of my playing days, but have really gotten back into electric over the past 1.5 yrs and now find myself hopelessly daydreaming about a room full of Private Stock instruments ;)

...but since I'm not an heiress, I've started slow and tried to pace myself. Started with an SECu24 in 2008, traded that in and bought an SC58 last year, then traded that in and splurged on my current baby, a semi-hollow P245 10top in faded whale blue...it lovingly robs me of my free time, much to the chagrin of my Honey-Do list!

I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's rigs and experiences with their instruments, shops, and even PRS himself (PRSh, right?). Hope to crowdsource some info on building a private stock instrument in the coming months...cheers in the meantime!

Back