Introduce yourself!

Add one to the “fallen hard for PRS” club here :). Hi all. Great to be here. In the last two weeks I’ve acquired two really nice guitars. A sunburst CE 24 (new mannmade trem incoming) and a beautiful 2019 McCarty 594 10 top. Sent an email to customer service to identify the exact color. It’s a Red flame and it’s unbelievable. It plays and sounds even better than it looks. If I could figure out how to upload a couple of photo bucket hosted pics I’d certainly share the beauty :).

Welcome Ed Halen, looking forward to your pics.
And don’t forget to stick one of those pics into your avatar.;):p:D

I'm new here. Here's a quick summary of my guitar journey.... Started playing at 14 and am now 44. I played in bands from 15-30yo and enjoyed the ups and downs of gigging in a band. I'm sure, like many I kind of stopped playing after my most recent band while I got married, bought a house, and started a family. I really didn't do much for guitar stuff for about 10 years. I got back into playing again during the pandemic and built a few Fender style guitars in the past couple years. I've assembled a pretty good guitar tool set and actually enjoy doing setups and repairs. My most prized guitar might be my 2000 LP Standard because I bought it new and it is very nicely worn in. I just got a PRS delivered today!

When I was playing out I focused on original songs and never really got a chance to develop my music theory. That's what I've been getting into these days and it's eye-opening! I'm always in some part of the cycle of gutar theory>jamming out (by myself)>gear>golf. lol.

More newcomers, great to see! Settle in and enjoy the place, lots of interesting info and views on anything and everything PRS, and some that isn't PRS. But we all share a common love of playing and music in general.

Hey everyone, I'm Matty from Pennsylvania. I just picked up my first PRS on Friday. I finally have some birds!

I picked up the SE Custom 22 semihollow in Santana yellow. She's beautiful, my daughter named her Alice.

I'm a relative newbie with electrical guitars, but I've played classical for years before this.

Hey everyone, I'm Matty from Pennsylvania. I just picked up my first PRS on Friday. I finally have some birds!

I picked up the SE Custom 22 semihollow in Santana yellow. She's beautiful, my daughter named her Alice.

I'm a relative newbie with electrical guitars, but I've played classical for years before this.
Welcome Marty! Have fun finding Alice.
Hey! You’ve got yourself an avatar right from the start! Excellent. Thanks.

A month into lessons...I'm a 50 year old beginner who has run out of spots to hide his new PRS guitars from the MRS. In April, I bought my first guitar, an Ibanez AS93ZW-NT which caught my eye by it's look and I'd kind of decided that I wanted a hollow body since my likes are blues, R&B, and jazz. That said, Hotel California and Tennessee Whiskey are on my list of have to learns. I am currently learning theory and working towards my goal song, which is Voyage to Atlantis by the Isley Brothers with Ernie Isley on lead.

I can be a little obsessive and that shows in my camera equipment (I have 3 photography/drone companies) and have a love for guns (the designs, the history, the bling of them - all that), so why should guitars be any different. After a month with the Ibanez, I decided it would be "helpful motivation" for me to go ahead and build my collection so that I can earn the right to progress and play the higher cost tools in my collection.

Prior to now, all I knew of guitars was Fender, Squier, Les Paul, Gibson, and Epiphone - didn't know any of the connections and didn't have any real opinions other than the looks didn't really appeal to me. During a visit to my local GC I heard the employees talk about a PRS that had come in so I went home, researched the company, looked at the reputation/qc, and saw all the beautiful tops. Being a quality engineer, I decided this company and it's products were right for me. From there it was a week of visiting shops within 2 hours of me to feel them and see what was available. My mindset was go ahead and satisfy my desire to acquire gear so that I could then focus on developing my skills.

In the last week, I've been blessed to acquire the following PRS guitars:
CE 24 in McCarty Sunburst (avatar photo)
S2 McCarty 594 Thinline in Charcoal (C&M limited production of 5)
SE Custom 24 in Quilt Black Gold Burst (Sweetwater exclusive)
SE Zach Myers (shout out to the guys at Midwood Guitar Studio - awesome team!)
SE 245 Standard (used from Reverb, awesome deal with Seymour Duncan pickups installed)

I've limited myself to learning on the SE Custom 24 and SE 245 but do plan on getting good enough to be able to make the others sing - otherwise my two sons will just have some nice tools when I pass on. Needless to say, I am in timeout for a while. I can't say that I feel a desire to purchase a CORE model, simply because while I am starting out and I'm practicing daily, I realize at this stage in my life I have a good set of tools at my disposal and like the camera I need to master those. But goodness, it's hard not looking for a green or red tone PRS! Once I work through how to post photos I show them. (I know, if there ain't pics, it didn't happen.)

Anyhow, sorry so long and it is my pleasure to join this family. I look forward to learning a lot from you all.

A month into lessons...I'm a 50 year old beginner who has run out of spots to hide his new PRS guitars from the MRS. In April, I bought my first guitar, an Ibanez AS93ZW-NT which caught my eye by it's look and I'd kind of decided that I wanted a hollow body since my likes are blues, R&B, and jazz. That said, Hotel California and Tennessee Whiskey are on my list of have to learns. I am currently learning theory and working towards my goal song, which is Voyage to Atlantis by the Isley Brothers with Ernie Isley on lead.

I can be a little obsessive and that shows in my camera equipment (I have 3 photography/drone companies) and have a love for guns (the designs, the history, the bling of them - all that), so why should guitars be any different. After a month with the Ibanez, I decided it would be "helpful motivation" for me to go ahead and build my collection so that I can earn the right to progress and play the higher cost tools in my collection.

Prior to now, all I knew of guitars was Fender, Squier, Les Paul, Gibson, and Epiphone - didn't know any of the connections and didn't have any real opinions other than the looks didn't really appeal to me. During a visit to my local GC I heard the employees talk about a PRS that had come in so I went home, researched the company, looked at the reputation/qc, and saw all the beautiful tops. Being a quality engineer, I decided this company and it's products were right for me. From there it was a week of visiting shops within 2 hours of me to feel them and see what was available. My mindset was go ahead and satisfy my desire to acquire gear so that I could then focus on developing my skills.

In the last week, I've been blessed to acquire the following PRS guitars:
CE 24 in McCarty Sunburst (avatar photo)
S2 McCarty 594 Thinline in Charcoal (C&M limited production of 5)
SE Custom 24 in Quilt Black Gold Burst (Sweetwater exclusive)
SE Zach Myers (shout out to the guys at Midwood Guitar Studio - awesome team!)
SE 245 Standard (used from Reverb, awesome deal with Seymour Duncan pickups installed)

I've limited myself to learning on the SE Custom 24 and SE 245 but do plan on getting good enough to be able to make the others sing - otherwise my two sons will just have some nice tools when I pass on. Needless to say, I am in timeout for a while. I can't say that I feel a desire to purchase a CORE model, simply because while I am starting out and I'm practicing daily, I realize at this stage in my life I have a good set of tools at my disposal and like the camera I need to master those. But goodness, it's hard not looking for a green or red tone PRS! Once I work through how to post photos I show them. (I know, if there ain't pics, it didn't happen.)

Anyhow, sorry so long and it is my pleasure to join this family. I look forward to learning a lot from you all.
Welcome 50!
Your off to a damn fine start.:D

Welcome 50. I must say that you didn't spare the horsepower coming out of the gate!
This is just a personal opinion, but while it's an eventuality (and a necessity) to dip into the theory pool, don't let it override the enjoyment factor in the learning process. True, while modes and the pentatonic scales (et al) are the mainstay of jazz, rock, metal, pop, country and just about every guitar genre and coloration, just remember to enjoy making music with your new machines. I had theory crammed down my throat at a young age with classical piano studies and conservatory advancement and it really took the joy out of my teenage years. Of course, now approaching my 65th birthday and upcoming retirement I find myself more attracted to re-learning much of what I have socked away in my selective memory and applying it to my playing. Too soon old, too late smart as it were.
Don't sell your SE 24 short as a learning tool, it's practically all I play (my old Yamaha RGX sits mostly forgotten and lonely in my cave) for an electric goes, at least until my new SE HBII arrives. PRS considers the SE Custom 24 as a perfect workhorse axe, and I can't help but agree. Your two McCarty's and your Myer will certainly do things for you that your 24 won't given time, but they are a solid platform for many many styles. I'm still discovering things about mine while making use of the various features and settings on my amps now that I am getting more time to experiment from lifestyle/focus changes I've made.
Enjoy your journey, that's what it's all about.

Hey guys,

Don't want to repeat myself, but I thought just to check-in here too and leave a mark. I'm 48 years old, living in Central Europe and got my first ever PRS yesterday. The package was due to arrive today (Friday the 13th) but eventually came one day before.

I'm a total newbie to guitar playing, I started to play 5 months ago, but wish I had done it 25 years ago.

Being able to play some bits of my favorite songs feels magnificent I never thought I would one day be able to play real Iron Maiden and Metallica riffs and melodies on an electric guitar.

I'm a metal head. :cool:

I know it is far from being perfect, but I was over the moon last night when I learnt to play this.

I'm glad to have found PRS and be part of this community.

Rock on, guys!

Hey guys,

Don't want to repeat myself, but I thought just to check-in here too and leave a mark. I'm 48 years old, living in Central Europe and got my first ever PRS yesterday. The package was due to arrive today (Friday the 13th) but eventually came one day before.

I'm a total newbie to guitar playing, I started to play 5 months ago, but wish I had done it 25 years ago.

Being able to play some bits of my favorite songs feels magnificent I never thought I would one day be able to play real Iron Maiden and Metallica riffs and melodies on an electric guitar.

I'm a metal head. :cool:

I know it is far from being perfect, but I was over the moon last night when I learnt to play this.

I'm glad to have found PRS and be part of this community.

Rock on, guys!
Awright! Another fellow unapologetic metal head! Horns up!
Welcome Victorius!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm 47 years old and just started playing again after 10 years away. I got my only (currently) PRS in 1997. It's a Standard 22, Natural finish, dot inlays, wide fat neck. I long ago replaced the stock pick ups with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Neck and a Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge, along with a three way selector swithch and two push pulls pots (one for phase, one for splitting the humbuckers to singles). Back when I ordered it in early 97, I had the phone number of a Maryland Guitar Store that took orders for PRS's. I called them and told them what I wanted (model, finish, dots, wide fat neck). I don't remember the name of the store, but they said they were right up the street from the factory. I waited 9 months, and I'm not even sure if I had email at the time to check up on its progress. It was a tough wait but it all paid off when it arrived early January 98. I had a hard time playing it initially because it was so pristine, but once I knocked the first ding in her, I warmed up to her real fast.
I don't dislike any type of music, I like artist in any genre that have soul and passion. I mostly play rock/hard rock. I've played in a few bands over the years, had lots of fun, but would the bands would always fall apart before the gigging stage. I recently bought an Epiphone 1959 Les Paul (always wanted a Les Paul, didn't have the money, think they're overpriced, but this Epi is a Great Value). Now I just put an order in for a S2 Vela Semi Hollow in Scarlet Sunburst (it looks so freakin beautiful in pictures). Can't wait to add this to my gallary with the Standard. I decided to get in the forum, because since I've gotten back into playing music, it's so easy with the internet and youtube videos to see all of what's out there (pedal wise the variety is amazing!). I had questions and wanted to get in here to ask questions. If anyone has a Vela, please let me know how you like it!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm 47 years old and just started playing again after 10 years away. I got my only (currently) PRS in 1997. It's a Standard 22, Natural finish, dot inlays, wide fat neck. I long ago replaced the stock pick ups with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Neck and a Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge, along with a three way selector swithch and two push pulls pots (one for phase, one for splitting the humbuckers to singles). Back when I ordered it in early 97, I had the phone number of a Maryland Guitar Store that took orders for PRS's. I called them and told them what I wanted (model, finish, dots, wide fat neck). I don't remember the name of the store, but they said they were right up the street from the factory. I waited 9 months, and I'm not even sure if I had email at the time to check up on its progress. It was a tough weight but it all paid off when it arrived early January 98. I had a hard time playing it initially because it was so pristine, but once I knocked the first ding in her, I warmed up to her real fast.
I don't dislike any type of music, I like artist in any genre that have soul and passion. I mostly play rock/hard rock. I've played in a few bands over the years, had lots of fun, but would the bands would always fall apart before the gigging stage. I recently bought an Epiphone 1959 Les Paul (always wanted a Les Paul, didn't have the money, think they're overpriced, but this Epi is a Great Value). Now I just put an order in for a S2 Vela Semi Hollow in Scarlet Sunburst (it looks so freakin beautiful in pictures). Can't wait to add this to my gallary with the Standard. I decided to get in the forum, because since I've gotten back into playing music, it's so easy with the internet and youtube videos to see all of what's out there (pedal wise the variety is amazing!). I had questions and wanted to get in here to ask questions. If anyone has a Vela, please let me know how you like it!
Welcome back Freshante!
DiMarzio X2N in the bridge? NICE!

Welcome back Freshante!
DiMarzio X2N in the bridge? NICE!
Yeah, I used to have an obsession with adding more metal crunch into my guitars. With the all mahogany Standard, it does give it crunch, but more in a rock sense, which is fine by me!

Back