Introduce yourself!

116 pages of intros, dang, may as well ad mine to the pile.

The year was 1986, I was living in Maryland and just getting into playing guitar ... perhaps you have an idea of where this is going.

I used to stop by this place called "Chuck Levin's" every so often to just bask in the gloriousness of it all, as I sure couldn't afford anything more than the odd DOD distortion pedal.

One day there's a stage set up, and this guy is there with his band and a bunch of guitars he was selling. Really pretty guitars. I was never the same after that. It took me years to save up to order one, and at the time they had this model called the "Special", which he sales person told me was meant for more metal players. Well, that was me, so I go that one, in metal flake blue, with birds and gold hardware. It took them months to make it as I recall, like 9. The sales guy blamed it on something about moving to a new factory or something.

Still have it, but don't play that one much any more, the frets are ready to give up the ghost by now, and honestly, Paul's newer guitars are much better. Maybe I'll send it off to the PTC one day for an overhaul.

The rest of the story is even less interesting, tried to be a pro, couldn't hack it, got into software, stopped playing for a while, but am now well fully back into it and excited to have found this place.

So many stories, reflecting experiences and dreams. Like many others I have embarked on a journey. At the ripe old age of almost 61 I have begun walking the path of learning to play. As a kid I grew up with grandparents, my grandfather had 3 early fenders and I used to sit on the porch in New Orleans as he would pick, totally amazed. Now I am about to retire, again, having retired once from an adventurous career in the Marine Corps, civilian employee, capped off with another 13 years of Government service. I have really only recently stumbled into depths of the PRS world and am now scouring the market to find what I know will be an amazing instrument, one that is more than a art, that will become a part of the family. Living only about 1.5 hours south of the PRS factory a co-worker and I have already begun discussing the need to venture there (he has already been) to experience the craftsmanship and professionalism of what is obviously a group of artisans and personnel that put their heart into the product. I am already looking forward to the many hours of joy I know it will bring with what time I have left as I look forward to sitting on a porch playng, and I haven't even settled on my purchase yet!

So many stories, reflecting experiences and dreams. Like many others I have embarked on a journey. At the ripe old age of almost 61 I have begun walking the path of learning to play. As a kid I grew up with grandparents, my grandfather had 3 early fenders and I used to sit on the porch in New Orleans as he would pick, totally amazed. Now I am about to retire, again, having retired once from an adventurous career in the Marine Corps, civilian employee, capped off with another 13 years of Government service. I have really only recently stumbled into depths of the PRS world and am now scouring the market to find what I know will be an amazing instrument, one that is more than a art, that will become a part of the family. Living only about 1.5 hours south of the PRS factory a co-worker and I have already begun discussing the need to venture there (he has already been) to experience the craftsmanship and professionalism of what is obviously a group of artisans and personnel that put their heart into the product. I am already looking forward to the many hours of joy I know it will bring with what time I have left as I look forward to sitting on a porch playng, and I haven't even settled on my purchase yet!

A) Welcome!!
B) Ooh Rah Brother, what did you do for our beloved Corps?
C) Take the tour!

Definitely take the tour!

Thank you for your service.

Thanks for the add... been a long time PRS user and glad to join the forum here. Current go to is my trusty DGT along with my 20th Anni CU24, HB1 and a 513.... Looking forward to reading/learning more...

A) Welcome!!
B) Ooh Rah Brother, what did you do for our beloved Corps?
C) Take the tour!

Thanks Doug! Helo's all the way! CH-46, V-22 (even though it's not all helo), VH-3D. Crewed, have close to 2,400 hours total. Don't get to fly anymore, today I still support Marine Helos though [VIP]. How about you?

Well, as I mentioned I had not jumped in with my purchase yet, but I did take care of that today. Very much the beginner but figured what the hell and took the plunge, ordered an SE Floyd Custom 24 Quilt Top Gray Black from GuitarCenter. It will be here Wednesday. Now all I have to do is find out when Paul offers free beginners lessons! ;)

Looking forward to the beginning of the journey!

First PRS. Just opened the box, tuned up and played a PRS SE Custom 24. My new axe! My name is Michael, I'm 60 years old, live near Boise, Idaho and also have a Fender American Series Strat.

Congrats Michael, welcome!

May the guitar inspire you to new heights. May you last at least 1 year before buying your second PRS. ;)

Thanks, Black Plaid. I appreciate it. I think I can make it a year...maybe...

Drooling over other PRS' is a good motivation to practice - speaking as a beginner with a new less-than-week-old SE Custom 24! What color did you get, MichaelW?

I got the factory closeout Spalted Maple. It's gorgeous! Thanks for asking. Looking forward to learning more about the guitar and learning new licks.

You new guys are so funny.

I assume you mean that in the why-don't-you-noobs-just-buy-artist-package-versions-of-a-408-and-a-McCarty594SC-and-a-CE24Semi-up-front-to-start-out-on-A,-D, and-E chords sort of way? :)

Last edited:
I got the factory closeout Spalted Maple. It's gorgeous! Thanks for asking. Looking forward to learning more about the guitar and learning new licks.

Nice deal and look. I only saw that the day after I purchased the one in my avatar, but I'm pretty happy with the Trampas Green.

I assume you mean that in the why-don't-you-noobs-just-buy-artist-package-versions-of-a-408-and-a-McCarty594SC-and-a-CE24Semi-up-front-to-start-out-on-A,-D, and-E chords sort of way? :)
I do advocate starting on the best you can afford so that you don’t get frustrated with an inferior instrument and quit before you really get going. Any PRS will cover that.

I was really just teasing about the notion that anyone could wait a whole year before finding another one they wanted.

I do advocate starting on the best you can afford so that you don’t get frustrated with an inferior instrument and quit before you really get going. Any PRS will cover that.

I was really just teasing about the notion that anyone could wait a whole year before finding another one they wanted.

No problem, I was just laughing back with some hyperbole hopefully signaled by the smiley.

I was strongly inclined to go with an S2 (rather than SE Custom) for various reasons, including supporting local (US) workers, but everything I'd read/seen on the Korean made SE's suggested exactly what you wrote above: more than enough guitar to encourage and allow someone at my level to play with pleasure in a variety of styles and sounds together with some pride in one's instrument.

Not that that's stopped me from sighing and drooling over a 408! ::cough::

Back