Introduce yourself!

Bought my first PRS a couple weeks ago (did a first guy questions and NGD thread over in the electric instruments forum). Been playing for 35 years. Mostly Blues. Still my passion.

The new PRS is a '17 SE Santana. Bought it used from GC. So far, I'm kinda diggin' it. Took a bit of a setup, but it's settled in nicely.

Bought my first PRS a couple weeks ago (did a first guy questions and NGD thread over in the electric instruments forum). Been playing for 35 years. Mostly Blues. Still my passion.

The new PRS is a '17 SE Santana. Bought it used from GC. So far, I'm kinda diggin' it. Took a bit of a setup, but it's settled in nicely.

Welcome!

Hey guys, I had an acoustic (still do somewhere) many years ago and learned alot of basics and chords and could play most any songs with said chords, but my heart was never in acoustic and I set it down and stopped playing for 15 years.

Recently I snagged a $50 starter kit bundle off craigslist that included a really crappy guitar and amp. I thought I could get one of my kids interested in playing, but he is obsessed with baseball, so it sat in a corner for some time untouched. then a month ago I start messing with it, and now I am the one with obsession with playing guitar - electric finally. I have been learning to move around on the fretboard, have packed in a few songs and am even taking an interest in jazz. I bought a low dollar Peavey Vypyr VIP-1 amp, I like it and it lets me do a lot of things without breaking the bank.

So I have been on the look for a solid good all around guitar purchase to get something besides that 1x3 lumber with strings I have been playing with. And it needs to do a broad range of music styles.

I was looking at other various manufacturers (same old ones - you alll know who) and their Humbucker products, but PRS wasn't even on the radar. Mostly because I want a fixed tail, but also because I just wasnt familiar enough with them and the local chain music store didnt have one that I wanted. I did look at the website though to see what fit me in my price range. It was the SE Mark Homcomb that had what I wanted in all ways. It even looked good. Alas, I am loathe to buy what I haven't held and played, so PRS continued to not even be on the radar.

Two days ago, I was looking at getting lessons so I do a search. Lo and behold, a music store close by that I had no idea was there (I feel a bit stupid about this). They carry a good selection of guitars too, so I promptly left the house to check it out. Mostly Fender a few others, and one Epi LP - I went straight to the Epi. It played OK I guess, but I didn’t like the feel. Felt over-varnished, sticky, and cheap.

But Wait! What's these three guitars next to the Epi? PRS, of course, I start looking at them. And one is the SE Mark Holcomb!!! I grab it instantly and look for an amp, giddy with excitement!!!

It's kinda like owning a beat up as hell extended cab pickup with squeaky breaks that barely cranks and backfires alot, and scared to drive it anywhere. Then you get behind the wheel of a Mercedes. Same thing. Except this Mercedes has 4wd, too.

It was love at first note, I like the double cut, the feel, the satin neck, everything. I didnt want to leave there that Tuesday afternoon. I thought about it all that night and the following morning.

I let the sales guy know Wednesday afternoon that I would be there at lunch today to buy it the next day. Today.

I’m watching the clock. Soon...... Soon......

Last edited:
Please excuse the watermarks...

20181025_135438_zps0kjex2cf.jpg

20181025_135453_zpsh8hdflgy.jpg

Hi all - I've just joined today. I'm based in Toronto. Been playing PRS since 1993 (I think). Bought my first from a friend and it was stolen from my car in 2001 in Ohio. I've been playing one I bought on eBay from someone in Maryland since 2001. I think it's a 1990 CE24 Bolt On (S#072679). I've primarily joined the forum to try and understand how my PRS compares to others - was mine made in US or oversees? Are the pick ups any good? Was there anything special/unique to the instrumnets made in 1990? etc. I really like this guitar but have been dreaming about buying a really nice one and want to understand all the nuances of what I've got and what's out there before making any decisions. If there's a place in the forum where someone might be able to provide some history or info on mine, please let me know! Thanks in advance, Jamie

Hi all - I've just joined today. I'm based in Toronto. Been playing PRS since 1993 (I think). Bought my first from a friend and it was stolen from my car in 2001 in Ohio. I've been playing one I bought on eBay from someone in Maryland since 2001. I think it's a 1990 CE24 Bolt On (S#072679). I've primarily joined the forum to try and understand how my PRS compares to others - was mine made in US or oversees? Are the pick ups any good? Was there anything special/unique to the instrumnets made in 1990? etc. I really like this guitar but have been dreaming about buying a really nice one and want to understand all the nuances of what I've got and what's out there before making any decisions. If there's a place in the forum where someone might be able to provide some history or info on mine, please let me know! Thanks in advance, Jamie

Welcome to the forum! If it was made in 1990, it's all US.

You have a very nice one! :)

Now in your future you might be thinking about one of those Super Bling ones... Hehehe!

Welcome!!!!

:D

We love pictures please! Unless you’ve uploaded them on another thread then more pictures please!!:D

Half the time I upload mine to an album on Facebook (Viewable by me only, usually).

They seem to last a good while. Otherwise you have to find a freebie pic host and upload them and
copy the link to use in the "Image" tool here.

Back