Introduce yourself!

I never intended to be a PRS owner.

I was just looking at Epi LPs @ GC... one neck was too small, another was too big... Then I saw this Camo painted SE Standard 22. What a neck! It fit my hand like a glove, but I couldn't deal with the Camouflage paint job. So I left empty-handed, but with a plan. I did some searching on the Internet and learned I wanted a 25" SE with a Wide-Fat neck. As it turned out, I could buy a new (at the time) SE Standard 22 since it ticked all the boxes. So I did.

Then I discovered this place. That lead to me buying an S2 Custom 24 which I love -- my favorite guitar. You'd think I'd be happy, right? Then I read about the S2 Studio and watched the online demo. I placed an order and waited 3 months for delivery.

Now I have 3 PRSi and a bunch of neglected Teles & Strats. The funny thing is, for the first time, I actually crave playing while I'm away at work. It feels like an addiction.

Welcome! I started guitar playing back in the late 80's and wanted a Les Paul (mostly because of Slash). It was shopping for an Epiphone LP Custom that I first saw a Custom 24 with Birds on the Neck and since then, I have always aspired to owning a PRS. Its only in recent years that I have actually been able to buy - raising Kids and not being a 'semi-professional' guitarists meant I had to make do with the guitars I owned. I have always wanted a Custom 24 since I wanted to learn to play guitar and thought that just getting that would be 'enough'. I love that guitar but I also love the other 2 PRS guitars I own - especially the 594 - so I know how 1 can lead to 2 can lead to needing a bigger house....

However, since I bought my first, its led to 2 more joining my collection and I want to add more - I 'need' a Hollowbody II with Piezo as I don't have a hollowbody or Piezo guitar and would love to add a Custom 24-08 even though I have a Custom 24, a 513 - even though I have a 509...

If you were after a Les Paul, I would certainly recommend the McCarty 594 (SC or DC) as that really captures the 'Vintage' Les Paul vibe and obviously has the same layout. You get better quality too, with Locking Tuners and coil splitting too so more versatile and stable than a vintage LP that its based on. The neck carve, in my opinion, is the best they have done, feels 'worn in' already. The Silver Sky too is a great quality '63/64 Strat so you can basically get these classic 'vintage' sounding guitars from PRS with the PRS quality and attention to detail.

If you were after a Les Paul, I would certainly recommend the McCarty 594 (SC or DC) as that really captures the 'Vintage' Les Paul vibe and obviously has the same layout. You get better quality too, with Locking Tuners and coil splitting too so more versatile and stable than a vintage LP that its based on. The neck carve, in my opinion, is the best they have done, feels 'worn in' already. The Silver Sky too is a great quality '63/64 Strat so you can basically get these classic 'vintage' sounding guitars from PRS with the PRS quality and attention to detail.
Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. But I was looking for an *Epi* Les Paul. If you heard my playing, you probably wouldn't be recommending a Core guitar. :D

I played bass in the early 80s and never played guitar professionally, so I think I'm set for guitars..... for now.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. But I was looking for an *Epi* Les Paul. If you heard my playing, you probably wouldn't be recommending a Core guitar. :D

I played bass in the early 80s and never played guitar professionally, so I think I'm set for guitars..... for now.

Well once you try a McCarty 594, your opinions may change LOL... You probably won't think you are 'set' for guitars either... :D

Hi all! I just found this page and had to join in - I have and love a PRS SE baritone at the moment but have owned other SEs and an S2 in the past. I'm hoping to get some advice on whether or not a guitar offered to me is a legit PRS or a fake so be on the lookout for a help wanted post soon!

New guy reporting in!

Hello everyone! This place looks like a great place for people to gather online. There doesn't seem to be a lot of the snark that shows up in some of the other music forums thankfully. I hope to contribute in a worthy manner.

Name's Brian, and a semi-old guy at 47 years full of piss and vinegar. I'm a new devotee to PRS. I've always admired them, but just recently bought in hard. I've played on and off since 1986, which makes me an old metalhead. I've had LP's through the years, Charvel's, etc. When I first noticed PRS, I thought they were beautiful, but I didn't feel like paying the price because I don't do music for a living, and frankly; I didn't think my playing warranted one. So I got a Carvin! I did that because the price was great, and it is a great instrument. Frankly, the CT6 that I have is absolutely gorgeous; done by Jeff Keisel himself. Plays like a dream. I also currently have a Joe Deplantier Charvel Sig model, one of those sweet little Travel guitars by Traveler since I.... ahem... travel for work a LOT. (I highly recommend those things if you travel a lot).

About a month ago, I started getting serious about guitar in a big way. I've made it were I want to be professionally, I've been a martial artist for 37 years (Brazilian Jui-jitsu and Muay Thai: had my first MMA fight before the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a thing). And guitar was the one goal I've never really met. So I had the opportunity to learn from Dave Weiner, the guitarist in Steve Vai's band. I didn't just jump at that chance, I laid explosives to clear the way. The first lesson with him, I made more progress in an hour, than in years of plodding along on my own. So I'm a month in with him now, and I actually feel like a "guitarist", and a "musician". The leap I've made would be hard to believe if I'd not experienced it myself.

That said, I went to Righteous Guitars in Roswell GA (I'm from Atlanta), and nearly had a glorious heart attack upon walking in. They didn't know me, but treated me like I've been a long time customer immediately. The serve the upper end of the guitar market, and are a huge PRS dealer, if not the largest. I scored a Wood Library SC594, Orange fade quilt, gorgeous swamp ash back, korina neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. One of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen; and it plays like a dream. It's a guitar that makes you feel like you're a pro-musician. Stunning. I also got a Huss & Dalton acoustic while I was there, a NAMM showpiece.

I'm going back next week to get one of the McCarty 594's. The pickups sound sooooo damn good if you're a rock person.

I also have one of the Tremonit Model Mt15 amps. Man... if they do this thing full size, I'm getting that one too. Most amazing sounding amp, to my ear, ever. I also have a Peavey 6505, and a Blackstar 20watt something or other...

Other than that, I'm a senior exec in a massive tech consulting firm. Army Infantry combat vet. Martial arts addict. Gun nut. Car nerd(abuse a BMW M4). Most of all, proud dad.

I can see many PRS in the future. I'm looking at them as playable art. Which I will hang them in between investment artworks that we have. I'll get that McCarty next week, and I'll go in on the forum guitar if it happens, and new guys are allowed. And we'll see where we go from there.

Welcome Brian. You’re right, low level of “snark”, unless someone is snarky in their comments about the brand.

Have fun.

Hello,

I was happy to find this forum. I have mostly played acoustic, but bought a PRS electric guitar 12 years or so ago because, I loved the inlays the guitar was just beautiful. My youngest of just took interest in guitars and is interested in electric so I dusted off the PRS and have been really enjoying it and distortion. I am hopeful some of the member here can help me identify the model and learn more about it. Its been great fun.

Jason

New guy reporting in!

Hello everyone! This place looks like a great place for people to gather online. There doesn't seem to be a lot of the snark that shows up in some of the other music forums thankfully. I hope to contribute in a worthy manner.

Name's Brian, and a semi-old guy at 47 years full of piss and vinegar. I'm a new devotee to PRS. I've always admired them, but just recently bought in hard. I've played on and off since 1986, which makes me an old metalhead. I've had LP's through the years, Charvel's, etc. When I first noticed PRS, I thought they were beautiful, but I didn't feel like paying the price because I don't do music for a living, and frankly; I didn't think my playing warranted one. So I got a Carvin! I did that because the price was great, and it is a great instrument. Frankly, the CT6 that I have is absolutely gorgeous; done by Jeff Keisel himself. Plays like a dream. I also currently have a Joe Deplantier Charvel Sig model, one of those sweet little Travel guitars by Traveler since I.... ahem... travel for work a LOT. (I highly recommend those things if you travel a lot).

About a month ago, I started getting serious about guitar in a big way. I've made it were I want to be professionally, I've been a martial artist for 37 years (Brazilian Jui-jitsu and Muay Thai: had my first MMA fight before the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a thing). And guitar was the one goal I've never really met. So I had the opportunity to learn from Dave Weiner, the guitarist in Steve Vai's band. I didn't just jump at that chance, I laid explosives to clear the way. The first lesson with him, I made more progress in an hour, than in years of plodding along on my own. So I'm a month in with him now, and I actually feel like a "guitarist", and a "musician". The leap I've made would be hard to believe if I'd not experienced it myself.

That said, I went to Righteous Guitars in Roswell GA (I'm from Atlanta), and nearly had a glorious heart attack upon walking in. They didn't know me, but treated me like I've been a long time customer immediately. The serve the upper end of the guitar market, and are a huge PRS dealer, if not the largest. I scored a Wood Library SC594, Orange fade quilt, gorgeous swamp ash back, korina neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. One of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen; and it plays like a dream. It's a guitar that makes you feel like you're a pro-musician. Stunning. I also got a Huss & Dalton acoustic while I was there, a NAMM showpiece.

I'm going back next week to get one of the McCarty 594's. The pickups sound sooooo damn good if you're a rock person.

I also have one of the Tremonit Model Mt15 amps. Man... if they do this thing full size, I'm getting that one too. Most amazing sounding amp, to my ear, ever. I also have a Peavey 6505, and a Blackstar 20watt something or other...

Other than that, I'm a senior exec in a massive tech consulting firm. Army Infantry combat vet. Martial arts addict. Gun nut. Car nerd(abuse a BMW M4). Most of all, proud dad.

I can see many PRS in the future. I'm looking at them as playable art. Which I will hang them in between investment artworks that we have. I'll get that McCarty next week, and I'll go in on the forum guitar if it happens, and new guys are allowed. And we'll see where we go from there.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service!

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service!
Thank you Bodia! You're very kind! It was a privilege.

*disclaimer, I'm not one of "those" vets that requires special treatment for their service. It's called service for a reason. I mentioned it simply because it did shape my personality, and fun fuckery and shenanigans ability!

Shout out from the Twin Cities, USA ... always thought my first PRS would be a guitar by them. Fate would have it that it would be the MT15 amp. LOVE!!!! Lucked out on getting one. If you don't get one... you're missing out. At 650, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. Back to playing.

Shout out from the Twin Cities, USA ... always thought my first PRS would be a guitar by them. Fate would have it that it would be the MT15 amp. LOVE!!!! Lucked out on getting one. If you don't get one... you're missing out. At 650, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. Back to playing.
Welcome to the forum

Nothing like coming in with a loud bang! Congrats - and welcome aboard!

My name is Mark. I am from Pembroke Pines Florida. Looking forwsrd to learning about the gear.

Back