Intonation screws too short on E and D.

mithogo

The intonation screws on a PRS are 5/8 in long. They are long enough for all strings except the the E and D. I had one come loose on my 2011 Studio. I just ordered two #4-40 3/4 screws to replace them. Has anyone else had this happen?

studiointonscrews.jpg

What is the address of the PRS Suggestion box? I'd like to recommend using the #4-40 3/4 screws. That would be an easy, effective improvement.

What gauge strings are you using? 0.09?
THe thinner the strings = the further towards the neck the saddles will go.
With heavier (say 0.11) you'd be plenty further back on the threads.
I assume PRSi are designed for 0.10 strings, and thus the intonation screw length should be
as well, even though accommodating for thinner and fatter gauges should have been a
consideration when designing the bridge.

I got a response from PRS. They are making the longer (3/4in) screws available and will be including them in future trems.

Looking at that picture, I don't see that there is a problem?

Whats your gauge and tuning?Are you using a good tuner when setting the intonation?I have never had this problem and i have used 009s,010s and 011s.All of them in standard 440 tuning.Now im using 010s and fixed the intonation with a Peterson strobo-flip tuner today without any problems.

It seems to me that it has been an issue since the switch to brass screws. I do not remember it happening before and it has become a regular and very annoying occurrence.

It seems to me that it has been an issue since the switch to brass screws. I do not remember it happening before and it has become a regular and very annoying occurrence.

An acquaintance told me how his eyes popped out of his head when he opened his case at a gig and had an "Uh-oh" moment!!!

I'm glad PRS is solving the problem, it will be a nice attention to detail to see the longer screws in place.

Last edited:
I received my PRS Trem Bridge upgrade kit. It includes two of the longer 3/4" screws. Nice touch!:)

I bought a Studio last year. When it arrived, the screw for the E string had worked itself out of the tailpiece and was loose inside the case, where it managed to scratch through the wood in the back corner of the guitar in one place. PRS repaired it free of charge.
So, yes.

I have had the same problem with my Studio - so emailed support who have promised to send me longer screws (I am in the UK) . My local supplier who I purchased the guitar from does not as yet have any replacements available. Seems a bit strange??

I have had the same problem with my Studio - so emailed support who have promised to send me longer screws (I am in the UK) . My local supplier who I purchased the guitar from does not as yet have any replacements available. Seems a bit strange??

Not if you bought a guitar that was in stock prior to the changeover.

Back