Intonation problem

Thanks a lot for your fast reply. As soon as I will be back home I will send the pics. Best regards

It could be that your tuning head screws are lose enough to not be able to hold tension when you tune up, making it go flat as you play.

There should be able to be tightened with a small allen key, going from memory anyway. If you think about it, with the tremolo blocked, the string can only loosen at the other end

You are right but I have got a new Schaller Locking tuning machines and I believe they are so fine. First I tuned ans stretch the strings normally and then once they are ready to stay in tune i blocked. No way also

Brand new strings don't intonate well, they need broken in. Old strings don't either. Some brand strings are a crap shoot, sometimes strings are BAD. Try a different brand.

When you are fretting the 12th fret notes (and other places if you're anal) you should press as lightly as possible, much much much lighter than you would when playing.

Ensure your relief is set properly and ensure your action is set near to PRS spec. Is there any buzz on open strings?

Ensure your tuners are tight.

Ensure your nut is cut properly.

Last edited:
I put 4 different brand of strings 009. Daddario, GHS, Gibson and Dean Markley. All same problem. Locking Tuners are tight and working well. Action is quite low and no bazz at all. Nut is from PRS american with Teflon. I am getting crazy!!!

I put 4 different brand of strings 009. Daddario, GHS, Gibson and Dean Markley. All same problem. Locking Tuners are tight and working well. Action is quite low and no bazz at all. Nut is from PRS american with Teflon. I am getting crazy!!!
Are you using 10-46 strings in standard tuning, or something else? Are you tuning up to pitch? Sometimes dropping all your strings down 30 cents and slowly tuning them up to pitch is necessary.

Do you ever have any kind of "ping" sound when tuning, and then your string goes suddenly 10-30 cents flat or sharp?

Is your bridge level with the top of the guitar?

What are you using to tune and check intonation?

How did you attach the strings to the locking tuners? I'm assuming there's approximately half a wrap after you locked them down and tuned them up?

Are you absolutely positive you're only fretting hard enough to get a clean tone?

Are you using 10-46 strings in standard tuning, or something else? Are you tuning up to pitch? Sometimes dropping all your strings down 30 cents and slowly tuning them up to pitch is necessary.

Do you ever have any kind of "ping" sound when tuning, and then your string goes suddenly 10-30 cents flat or sharp?

Is your bridge level with the top of the guitar?

What are you using to tune and check intonation?

How did you attach the strings to the locking tuners? I'm assuming there's approximately half a wrap after you locked them down and tuned them up?

Are you absolutely positive you're only fretting hard enough to get a clean tone?
I use 009-042 as guitar set up from factory. I did this procedure ( up to tune then drop them down even more than 30 % and then tune them again to pitch) so many times. I told in the preview message that locking machine r doing fine in my opinion. I always tune the strings without locking on and then once they r tuned I activate the lock on the Tuners.

I use the same way of tuning the strings for about 10 years by now. And all my guitars ( 2 strat+ ES345 Gibson+Martin D28) sound perfectly in tune. The only one out of tune is this PRS SE Santana. And there r not techs these days cause of Corona. I have to wait i guess till some tech will be available

Pino, 2 questions.....Is the tremolo parallel to the strings and floating about 5 mm off the surface of the guitar? This could be the problem. 2- who put the nut on? If you did it at home, that could be a problem as well. Pictures will help us get you to the finish line. PRS are known for staying in tune, so there has to be something mechanical. I just hope nobody diddled with the trem with tension on the springs and the strings.

I have the sake issue now after having set up my guitar myself. I cannot get the intonation right for the high E string. When I play a D chord it sound totally out of tune despite the intonation being perfect at the 12th fret. I don:t think I had that issue when I got the guitar. So it's something that I did. Can you guys help me figure it out?

Neck relief is .010 at the 9th fret. Action is .06" measured on the 15th fret and without a capo. So it takes the nut into account. Stings are EB 10s.

I'm suspecting the saddles. I screwed around with them a lot yesterday because I couldn't get it right after I had set it up. So I waited until this afternoon for the neck to settle. Nothing has changed. the guitar sounds slightly out of tune in general. Idk what I did. But I did something.

Sounds to me like a setup issue, especially the nut string height in both cases since the issue is predominantly the first few frets. If it was pressing too hard, it would most likely be all the way up the neck. The only way to narrow it down though, IMHO, is a complete setup.

Wow...saw the post from Mr Pringles and though it was mine. I am Jimmy Pringle in Texas and just purchased a 2009 Hollowbody ll . The G string especially is fretting sharp on the 2nd fret and gradually improves as I move down the neck. open and 12 th fret intonation is perfect. The nut height seems appropriate. I love the guitar but cant stand even the slightest intonation problems. My Martin 00028 tunes better. Very discouraged

How can I fix this? Using EXL115, 10-49 strings. I understand the factory sets up with 11's and wound 3rd so this should be fine.

Any ideas on how to remedy this? Thank you!!!

NO on the wrap bridge a wound 3rd does not work , the 11 gauge PRS strings have a plain 3rd string , you can buy a PRS or Mann made adjustable bridge

Sounds to me like a setup issue, especially the nut string height in both cases since the issue is predominantly the first few frets. If it was pressing too hard, it would most likely be all the way up the neck. The only way to narrow it down though, IMHO, is a complete setup.

The guitar is going to PTC for a setup. I just want to understand what I did wrong. My set-up should be fine with respect to neck relief and action. I'm suspecting the nut as well but I didn't touch the nut at all. I'm suspecting that there's a sweet spot for each saddle whee it's in tune all over the fret board. But since it's only the high E I'm thinking the nut.

Back