Intonation of my PRS: Octave / 12th fret

PEPE_99

Hi All!
I have just bought a PRS Custom 24 and I am very happy with her. Said that, the octave is not sharply set. I have tried to fix it leveraging on the saddles but the problem is not fixed (after tuning the chords again i still see some mismatch on the 12th fret). Anyone had the same problem and succeed to fix it? Thanks! Andrea

Unfortunately, there isn’t one three sentence solution to the problem. Is the guitar new or used? Did you change the string gauge? Did it come from a different climate, and has it had time to acclimate? If you provide more information someone of us will be able to help you. It sounds like the guitar needs to be set up, but there isn’t enough to go on. Do you have experience setting up a PRS?

Hi All!
I have just bought a PRS Custom 24 and I am very happy with her. Said that, the octave is not sharply set. I have tried to fix it leveraging on the saddles but the problem is not fixed (after tuning the chords again i still see some mismatch on the 12th fret). Anyone had the same problem and succeed to fix it? Thanks! Andrea
Hi, Andrea,

It seems that your PRS (if it was purchased used) could benefit from a set-up/intonation. Plz visit the PRS website here:

https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/categories/4407425254427-Electric-Guitar

These pages will enable you to perform your own set-up/intonation with the proper tools. There are also several YouTube videos on this subject from PRS that can help you with this. This one is published by Cesar AllGuitar, which utilizes certain tools (not always cheap), but you can use individual tools if the PRS truss rod allen wrench and saddle allen wrench was included with your Cu24 purchase.

If for any reason you may not feel qualified enough to perform these adjustments yourself, please locate a qualified guitar tech/luthier who can perform the necessary work.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there isn’t one three sentence solution to the problem. Is the guitar new or used? Did you change the string gauge? Did it come from a different climate, and has it had time to acclimate? If you provide more information someone of us will be able to help you. It sounds like the guitar needs to be set up, but there isn’t enough to go on. Do you have experience setting up a PRS?
the guitar is new and was bought nearby my house in Milan, I have changed the strings immediately arrived at home. I have no expereince in PRS setup as this is my first one and I fear some impact on other regualtion (that i do want to avoid as the rest of the setting is amazing) leaving her for a set-up of the octave, am I mad?? :)

Hi, Andrea,

It seems that your PRS (if it was purchased used) could benefit from a set-up/intonation. Plz visit the PRS website here:

https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/categories/4407425254427-Electric-Guitar

These pages will enable you to perform your own set-up/intonation with the proper tools. There are also several YouTube videos on this subject from PRS that can help you with this. This one is published by Cesar AllGuitar, which utilizes certain tools (not always cheap), but you can use individual tools if the PRS truss rod allen wrench and saddle allen wrench was included with your Cu24 purchase.

If for any reason you may not feel qualified enough to perform these adjustments yourself, please locate a qualified guitar tech/luthier who can perform the necessary work.
Thanks! I just would like to fix the problem without changing other stuff (ie touch the the truss rod / impact on neck inclination)

Andrea
Congrats on your first PRS guitar.
Always try the simplest things first. You said you immediately changed your strings. Its it a USA Core, S2 or SE model guitar?
If it is a USA Core or S2 Custom 24 guitar did you use 10 gauge strings? And did you make the mistake of wrapping the posts when restringing the guitar? PRS guitars with locking tuners do not like wraps around the posts of the tuning pegs.

Andrea
Congrats on your first PRS guitar.
Always try the simplest things first. You said you immediately changed your strings. Its it a USA Core, S2 or SE model guitar?
If it is a USA Core or S2 Custom 24 guitar did you use 10 gauge strings? And did you make the mistake of wrapping the posts when restringing the guitar? PRS guitars with locking tuners do not like wraps around the posts of the tuning pegs.
Hi Coral, she is a US Core with 10 gauge strings and yes, i did that mistake wrapping around of the tuning pegs! :( if I re-string avoiding wraps would it go better? I hope that the job done on the saddles don't affect the initial tuning once i will restring following your suggestion, do you think that this could be possibile?

Last edited:
I would restring it properly. It might fix your problem no guarantee but stranger things have happened. And we have had countless problems that magically get corrected just by simply changing strings.
Here a video to help you string it correctly
Good Luck

I’d like to hear about one of the things that are stranger than something outside of the scale length (tuners/winding) affecting intonation!?!

How much is your intonation out by? And is it out by the same amount on each string?

A new guitar having intonation problems doesn't surprise me, nor does a guitar that crossed an ocean then having action and/or intonation issues surprise me. It's a new guitar and things move, especially when traveling through different climate zones.

After adjusting a saddle forward/back have you tried using the tremolo bar to bend down then back up? Sometimes when adjusting the saddles the stings bind on the saddles and bending down with the tremolo bar can release and reseat the strings. Take your time, it'll work out.

I would restring it properly. It might fix your problem no guarantee but stranger things have happened. And we have had countless problems that magically get corrected just by simply changing strings.
Here a video to help you string it correctly
Good Luck
I have re string properly now but the problem still exist. Furthermore, working on the saddles does'n bring to a solution, once i tune the guitar after the screwing the mismatch still came.. :(

I’d like to hear about one of the things that are stranger than something outside of the scale length (tuners/winding) affecting intonation!?!

How much is your intonation out by? And is it out by the same amount on each string?
+ 9 cent on E (6th string), +9 on A, +12 on D, +7 on G, perfect intonation on B and E

A new guitar having intonation problems doesn't surprise me, nor does a guitar that crossed an ocean then having action and/or intonation issues surprise me. It's a new guitar and things move, especially when traveling through different climate zones.

After adjusting a saddle forward/back have you tried using the tremolo bar to bend down then back up? Sometimes when adjusting the saddles the stings bind on the saddles and bending down with the tremolo bar can release and reseat the strings. Take your time, it'll work out.
thanks! I will try this

Back