Intonating PRS Vela - Tips?

ShawnF1222

Hi Folks, I realized that with this Vela two saddle bridge, intonation will be a bit of a compromise. Does anyone have any tips, instructions, videos that they can forward to me? Let me know. Thanks!

Similar to the PRS stock wrap-around...you can essentially get it on...unless you want to get it to the "Nth" degree...-OR-...did you drastically changed to gauge of strings...???

Hi Bill, I use 10 - 46 light gauge strings. Doesn't seem drastic. Not looking for nth degree, just tips on how to intonate. I am guessing the i adjust to the middle string - the A and the B and let the others be slightly off?

Last edited:
What works for me is to start by intonating the B and A strings by adjusting both screws on each saddle equally. Then work on the rest of the strings using only the nearest saddle screw. After that, there may be some more minor tweaking but that's about it. This assumes that the overall intonation is pretty close to begin with - any major changes may be more complicated.

Hi Folks, I realized that with this Vela two saddle bridge, intonation will be a bit of a compromise. Does anyone have any tips, instructions, videos that they can forward to me? Let me know. Thanks!
There are a number of Vela owners here, and I haven't heard one complaint about the intonation yet. In fact, I've sited it as a concern and reason I didn't snag one when they had the cool "reclaimed wood" series out, and every owner who replied said they intonated well. Are you actually having an issue with it, or just speculating that you might?

No issues at all. I am new to PRS and Vela. The first time I changed the strings, I tried to intonate. It's not perfect and I suspect it will never be, I was hoping some tracks and tips so that I can do a better job next string change, which will be soon. I appreciate any and all tips.

Last edited:
No issues at all. I am new to PRS and Vela. The first time I changed the strings, I tried to intonate. It's not perfect and I suspect it will never be, I was hoping some tracks and tips so that I can do a better job next string change, which will be soon. I appreciate any and all tips. I meant to say A and B strings, since they are the middle position of the bridge.
Ok, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure if you already had checked and it was off. Having never been a "tele" guy this was a concern of mine as well, but it seems to be working out for all the guys who have them, so I'm sure one of them can help.

REALLY like the blue and white semi! Very cool guitar!!

Ok, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure if you already had checked and it was off. Having never been a "tele" guy this was a concern of mine as well, but it seems to be working out for all the guys who have them, so I'm sure one of them can help.

REALLY like the blue and white semi! Very cool guitar!!

Thanks man! I have been a major tele guy and used to idiosyncrasies. My favorite for many years. But after playing this guitar and the S2 Starla with the Bigsby, I am kind of wondering why I waited so long??? These PRS play and sound great, and stay in tune. So far, loving it.

Thanks man! I have been a major tele guy and used to idiosyncrasies. My favorite for many years. But after playing this guitar and the S2 Starla with the Bigsby, I am kind of wondering why I waited so long??? These PRS play and sound great, and stay in tune. So far, loving it.
well then you should be an expert already on setting those bridges, right? :)

And yes, they are some very cool guitars.

well then you should be an expert already on setting those bridges, right? :)

And yes, they are some very cool guitars.

Those tele bridges are for two strings and these babies have three strings to deal with. It's just another challenge.

It's funny because you could easily switch out the tele bridges to individual saddles and get it closer to perfect. But then you loose that sweet edgy tele sound. I did that once and changed it back, to recoup that sound. Live and learn.

Those tele bridges are for two strings and these babies have three strings to deal with. It's just another challenge.

It's funny because you could easily switch out the tele bridges to individual saddles and get it closer to perfect. But then you loose that sweet edgy tele sound. I did that once and changed it back, to recoup that sound. Live and learn.
That's funny you said that. I've heard that before from another guy who plays them and owns several. Changed the bridge, tone changed. Changed back! But as Paul says, "everything matters."

Back