International flight - checking in a guitar case...

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
International flight tomorrow, hope this does the trick... Rhino wrap, Fragile stickers, and shock indicators.
Bodia, thanks for the tip on Shockwatch.
The other one hopefully finds room on board in the gigbag.
tBJ2Mgm.jpg

ImPZUmI.jpg

That is very thorough. I would have added bubble wrrp under the external wrapping.

The only problem I see with this is if TSA decides to inspect internally, they will use a box cutter and probably damage your case.

I was very lucky 3 months ago to move my new WL PRSi from Miami FL to Dublin Ireland, even though guitars are not permitted in cabin with Aer Lingus, the flight was somewhat empty and they allowed the guitar in cabin with its hard case. My plan B was gate check. plan C was cheeking it and wrap the case with bubble warp.

Good luck. Whenever I travel I take my Strat not a PRS. For me, when I travel, taking a guitar with is just for practice. (And to annoy my wife.) I'll never gig. So my Strat is ok. It came with a TSA compliant locking hard case. I've travelled with it many times and, so far, no issues.

If I were a gigging musician, and had to have my PRS, I'd look at a TSA compliant locking hard case for it (them). They aren't that expensive.

Last edited:
Mmm, bubblewrap. I did have some. I think the guitar is fine in the case, but the bubble wrap would have helped the case itself a little more.
Guitar is perfectly padded and not moving around. It's not a PRS ;) It's worth less than the fee I'll be paying, but was my first electric guitar, almost 30 years old with a 20 year break at my parents' place... It has some EMGs and a fret dress waiting for it.

This will be a Lufthansa flight. On their website it says they charge another 100EUR on top of extra luggage fees for musical instruments. That better contain some special handling...
I'll post how it went later this week.

Is it too late to charter a boat?
not too late, but it's too slow...
... at least it's direct. Didn't want to deal with a layover, especially with the carry-on axe.
There are also two in my suitcase. Took the necks off and packed them in cardboard and bubblewrap. right at the weight limit for that bag...
We'll see what questions customs has or if the wiring looks suspicious to the x-ray operators...

not too late, but it's too slow...
... at least it's direct. Didn't want to deal with a layover, especially with the carry-on axe.
There are also two in my suitcase. Took the necks off and packed them in cardboard and bubblewrap. right at the weight limit for that bag...
We'll see what questions customs has or if the wiring looks suspicious to the x-ray operators...
Maybe a raised eyebrow “Dali style”:)

I think you've done a bang up job with the preparation. Good luck man!
Thanks! Yea, also have an extra box with bubblewrap and fragile stickers in case they tell me off the bat at the check-in counter that I can't carry on the gig-bag and have to check it. Strategy is to leave it in the car with my dad and show up with the gig bag first. Gotta be some small closet corner available in that giant A380.
I even padded inside the gig bag especially neck and headstock support, so I'm not too worried if it's in the overhead. That one's a '92 Les Paul Studio Lite. In Sergio Blue.

So my Strat is ok. It came with a TSA compliant locking hard case. I've travelled with it many times and, so far, no issues.
Both Gator and SKB do great TSA approved cases.​
And I have been trying to figure out which one I have. My Strat came with it but I can't find anything on it to identify it as either Gator or SKB. It is one great case. I think one could drive a tank over it and not damage the guitar. And it wouldn't matter except I may want to get one for my PRS someday and I would like the same manufacturer.

I'm on the plane... Gigbag was allowed into a closet. Case went to bulky items :eek:, but they charged by weight so it stayed under $100. We'll see in what shape it comes back out... 8 hours to go...

I'm on the plane... Gigbag was allowed into a closet. Case went to bulky items :eek:, but they charged by weight so it stayed under $100. We'll see in what shape it comes back out... 8 hours to go...
Best of luck, hope she travels well!:D

Made it. All is well. One of the shock tags triggered but on the body side of the guitar.
While they didn’t totally abuse it like everything else, they obviously didn’t treat it like raw eggs either.

I only had 3 indicators for light packages (orange). The red ones are actually for 50lbs and over. Don’t know if this makes them more sensitive. I would think the opposite but am not sure.

6hBfDXD.jpg

a0t0CSJ

Back