Interesting Kemper/Matchless Comparison.

My Kemper is all Britt for a reason.
I have a fair number of packs from various creators, but the ones I use most/almost exclusively are MBritt.
He makes them with the certainty that they'll be used live and it shows!
I'm pretty sure that if I had a Kemper I'd profile my own amps set up to sound exactly the way I want, with my own mics set up to my taste, etc.

After all, I bought them over other choices on the market for a reason, and I've worked with them for a long time to get my own take on what they're capable of.

I wouldn't want to buy anyone else's interpretation of what I want to hear. Though if I had a Kemper I might be interested in say, a vintage AC30 profile since I don't own a vintage AC30.

You guys don't roll your own? Seems to me that's the real power of the Kemper, and you're paying for that capability when you buy one. Not doing it seems a bit like buying a Ferrari and hiring a chauffeur to drive it for you.

I roll my own synth patches, too.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that if I had a Kemper I'd profile my own amps set up to sound exactly the way I want, with my own mics set up to my taste, etc.

After all, I bought them over other choices on the market for a reason, and I've worked with them for a long time to get my own take on what they're capable of.

I wouldn't want to buy anyone else's interpretation of what I want to hear. Though if I had a Kemper I might be interested in say, a vintage AC30 profile since I don't own a vintage AC30.

You guys don't roll your own? Seems to me that's the real power of the Kemper, and you're paying for that capability when you buy one. Not doing it seems a bit like buying a Ferrari and hiring a chauffeur to drive it for you.

I did take 3 kicks at profiling my Custom 50 combo.
I used 2 mics, a SM58, and a e906.
I ran them to a mixer and summed that to the Kemper input.
What I got out of it sounds good (clean and crunchy). Useable for sure.
Thing is that I do not have the better mics/interface nor the depth of knowledge/experience regarding mic placement etc. that someone proficient/professional such as yourself does. :)
What I realized is that I can get various and lovely tones by using a professional provider that uses his own profiles live on tour. Another lovely aspect of this is the consistency. All the profiles are at the same volume and use similar effects (per amp) and switching between them is smooth and flawless.
Said it before, and I'll say it again. If we lived closer I'd be over there in a heartbeat to watch you capture your amps/settings. I KNOW you'd be good at it, and your profiles would be of the same/similar quality as the ones I'm using.

You Should Get One And Do That. I Bet You Would Love It!

I did take 3 kicks at profiling my Custom 50 combo.
I used 2 mics, a SM58, and a e906.
I ran them to a mixer and summed that to the Kemper input.
What I got out of it sounds good (clean and crunchy). Useable for sure.
Thing is that I do not have the better mics/interface nor the depth of knowledge/experience regarding mic placement etc. that someone proficient/professional such as yourself does. :)
What I realized is that I can get various and lovely tones by using a professional provider that uses his own profiles live on tour. Another lovely aspect of this is the consistency. All the profiles are at the same volume and use similar effects (per amp) and switching between them is smooth and flawless.
Said it before, and I'll say it again. If we lived closer I'd be over there in a heartbeat to watch you capture your amps/settings. I KNOW you'd be good at it, and your profiles would be of the same/similar quality as the ones I'm using.
Admittedly this is an academic discussion. However, I can't say I'd be as skilled as a guy like Britt. He's been at it for a long time. It'd take some serious woodshedding and practice. Doesn't seem one could just dive right in and be proficient right off the bat. But ya gotta start somewhere.

I'd want to try a several different mics and mic positions to see whether I could create something maybe off the beaten path. For instance, one thing about the profiles I hear - that are admittedly very good in other respects - is that they sound a bit dry, even played back in a room. I wonder if that's all about very close miking, which tends to make recordings dry sounding.

Sp my first question would be, Is close miking the only way the profiles can be done? Or is there flexibility in the choice of distance from speaker to mic?

I'd want to try placing mics further back by an inch at a time, etc., to pick up a little more of the room. It might help capture the 'juice' I miss when I hear a Kemper. It'd be interesting (maybe even fun) to see if I could get close to the tone of my amps. With any luck I could do something unique. Who knows.

If I played out, I'd have to use one. No choice. Because my days of heavy lifting are over now per the doc.

One day in Studio Craptastic

"Hi hon."

"What's that thing sitting on your desk? Yet another piece of music gear?"

"Oh, you mean that? The green thing that looks like a toaster?"

"Yes." [insert special fx of steam starting to escape from her ears]

"It's a medical device." :cool:

Last edited:
Admittedly this is an academic discussion. However, I can't say I'd be as skilled as a guy like Britt. He's been at it for a long time. It'd take some serious woodshedding and practice. Doesn't seem one could just dive right in and be proficient right off the bat. But ya gotta start somewhere.

I'd want to try a several different mics and mic positions to see whether I could create something maybe off the beaten path. For instance, one thing about the profiles I hear - that are admittedly very good in other respects - is that they sound a bit dry, even played back in a room. I wonder if that's all about very close miking, which tends to make recordings dry sounding.

Sp my first question would be, Is close miking the only way the profiles can be done? Or is there flexibility in the choice of distance from speaker to mic?

I'd want to try placing mics further back by an inch at a time, etc., to pick up a little more of the room. It might help capture the 'juice' I miss when I hear a Kemper. It'd be interesting (maybe even fun) to see if I could get close to the tone of my amps. With any luck I could do something unique. Who knows.

If I played out, I'd have to use one. No choice. Because my days of heavy lifting are over now per the doc.

One day in Studio Craptastic

"Hi hon."

"What's that thing sitting on your desk? Yet another piece of music gear?"

"Oh, you mean that? The green thing that looks like a toaster?"

"Yes." [insert special fx of steam starting to escape from her ears]

"It's a medical device." :cool:
From what I understand you are micing your amp the same way you wish to record it. Nothing more/less.
So yes, different mic placements apply, but if you are happy/impressed with your recorded tone, then go with that.
One of the Kemper's strengths is to connect directly to FOH and have the audience hear exactly what they hear on recordings. The player has choices by using a standard guitar cab, silent stage (IEM), FRFR, or a Kabinet.
Super flexible.

From what I understand you are micing your amp the same way you wish to record it. Nothing more/less.
So yes, different mic placements apply, but if you are happy/impressed with your recorded tone, then go with that.
One of the Kemper's strengths is to connect directly to FOH and have the audience hear exactly what they hear on recordings. The player has choices by using a standard guitar cab, silent stage (IEM), FRFR, or a Kabinet.
Super flexible.
It's a good thing I don't play out. All that stuff would wind up costing me the price of a good microphone!

I found this to be a pretty good comp of 4 modelers and 2 real amps. The two real amps were profiled by each of the 4 modelers with no real tweaks. Then the obligatory shootout between the 4 modelers and the 2 amps. In the room, as they say, it's all pretty close.

I found this to be a pretty good comp of 4 modelers and 2 real amps. The two real amps were profiled by each of the 4 modelers with no real tweaks. Then the obligatory shootout between the 4 modelers and the 2 amps. In the room, as they say, it's all pretty close.

I listened to that when it came out.

I'll put it this way: They're in the business of selling guitar goods. What are they gonna say, this thing sucks? They're not gonna slag what they carry and sell. This is why I don't pay much attention to dealer videos.

Not only do I take the opinions expressed with a large grain of salt, but as entertaining as those two are (Pete's a terrific player), they don't have the most discerning ears. In particular, the guy who's the Captain is often quite obtuse.

Back