Interesting Core vs PS DC 594 video

pauloqs

PRS McCarty
I just came across this video and thought it was interesting.

"Similar" types of wood. I don't know how similarly the pickup heights were set. However, I can definitely hear the difference with headphones. It could be the age of the trees that generated the wood, the nitro finish, maybe the more attention to detail or a combination of several factor that account for the differences. With that said, both sounded great, but in my opinion the PS had an edge. This is coming from someone that until fairly recently didn't think there was a significant improvement going from a Core to a PS other than the option of exotic or non-standard timbers. This wasn't at all the sort of difference I expected.

"Similar" types of wood. I don't know how similarly the pickup heights were set. However, I can definitely hear the difference with headphones. It could be the age of the trees that generated the wood, the nitro finish, maybe the more attention to detail or a combination of several factor that account for the differences. With that said, both sounded great, but in my opinion the PS had an edge. This is coming from someone that until fairly recently didn't think there was a significant improvement going from a Core to a PS other than the option of exotic or non-standard timbers. This wasn't at all the sort of difference I expected.

Before I lived with my first PS, I didn’t think there was much difference, either. I was wrong.

Is that mad mosquito thing he's got going what passes for tone nowadays?

Is that mad mosquito thing he's got going what passes for tone nowadays?
To go a bit off-topic in reference to your avatar and forum name, I was listening to some older ZZTop last weekend (via one of their Greatest Hits CDs), and I focused on the guitar tone and general production. While the songs and their tones are now iconic, I have to say that in general I was not impressed by neither the guitar tones, vocals, nor the overall mix - "muddy", "fuzzy without being interesting", "recorded in a tunnel", etc came to mind.

Yet I bet when I listen to it again, I will say "wow, awesome tunez, dude!" :shrug:

So...it really is a case of opinions and perceptions.

“I’m here for the dental school entrance examination.”

“Yes, have a seat over there. Here’s the test.”

“Hmmm...first question...’what’s the best guitar for dentists?’ How does that have anything to do with teeth?”

“Just answer the questions. Proctors aren’t allowed to give hints or make comments.”

“OK...wait a second...”What bird is on the headstock of a PRS Private Stock?!? I mean, really? This has nothing to do with science, or dentistry, and I don’t know what a PRS even is!”

“Objecting to the question, are you? OK, that’s going in your permanent file. I suggest you continue on with the exam if you want to have any hopes of getting into dental school.”

“Well here’s a question I can finally answer. ‘What kind of car will you drive when you start your dental practice?’ I mean, that’s easy...let’s see m....e....r...c...e...d....e...s, I think I spelled that right. Oh, wait a second. ‘What kind of case comes with a Private Stock?’ Are you kidding? I don’t even know what a Private Stock is.”

“Sounds like you’re not doing very well on the exam. Just skip the questions you can’t answer, or you’ll run out of time.”

“Well, this is insane. Here are ten questions about guitar amplifiers. Really? For dental school? I don’t even play guitar. And this one. ‘What celebrity guitar players play PRS?’ Get real. This is nuts.”

“Maybe you should have taken the Dental School Admission Test prep course, then. If I were you, I’d skip that one and finish up.”

“OK. Oh my god, here’s another one. ‘How many PRS’ should be hanging on the wall of your basement studio after you get your first dental job?’ Reaaaalllyyyy? Cripes, I’ll just put down two.”

“Ahem....ahem...(the answer is ‘More than twelve’)....ahem.”

“I thought you couldn’t give hints.”

“I feel sorry for you. I’m soft-hearted. It was a pity hint. Really, you should think about law school instead, you’ll never make it as a dentist.”

“What’s that exam like?”

“How familiar are you with abrasives?”

“Medical school?”

“Golf, mostly.”

Last edited:

Differences can come down to variation in the pickup winding variation ... and pots that have a normal factory tolerance range of 20% and tone caps that have a normal range of 10%. And even if you can hear a difference, if you had either guitar back at the ranch where you dial around your amp and the guitar controls will you be able to get either guitar to the tone you desire?

Differences can come down to variation in the pickup winding variation ... and pots that have a normal factory tolerance range of 20% and tone caps that have a normal range of 10%. And even if you can hear a difference, if you had either guitar back at the ranch where you dial around your amp and the guitar controls will you be able to get either guitar to the tone you desire?

Having had a bunch of Core and WL, and a few PS...and owning all 3 types currently...

Yes and no. If you play several PS, you’ll notice a certain family tone thing they have in common that the others don’t have. But that just makes them different, not necessarily ‘better’.

You can fuss with the controls on your gear a ton and come reasonably close, but that elusive thing about the PS still comes through. On the other hand...you can get fabulous, phenomenal, different tones with a Core or other model. Despite my PS models, I love my WL and Core models for what they do.

I could see other players picking up my PS guitars for a short play and saying, “Really nice, but the difference isn’t something I care very much about.” I felt that way myself until my first PS arrived, and after a little while with my own gear, a light bulb went off in my brain, and I realized that there’s a thing they do. Unfortunately, it’s very, very hard to put into words.

Nonetheless, it’s all about personal preferences. I could see others preferring their Core models to a PS.

Every ps I have seems to just have a little extra dust sprinkled on them. Like Les says, it's hard to nail down, but it's there. I really enjoyed the vid demo (first one) and wish I could give comparison feedback on 594's. This issue is I have 2 ps 594's and both are close sounding and ea definitely has the dust. I just wanted one trem and one stop. However compared to my me's and other cores the ps's just are different. I actually have that Graveyard Ltd in the video and it's outrageous. :D

Back