Interested to hear everyone's opinion on guitar necks

Shrews824

Obviously, we all know that guitar necks come in various different shapes and sizes. Chunky, slim, flat, etc. We hear often, "I only like big necks" or "I can't play anything that isn't slim and fast". I was wondering if you guys have trouble adjusting to playing guitars with different shaped necks? My PRS neck shape is different from my Les Paul which, of course, is different than my Strat and so on. I play them all a lot and for whatever reason I don't seem to have much trouble moving from one to the other. It does take a little bit to adjust to each when first picking one up, but after playing any of my guitars for about 20 minutes they feel totally comfortable. I think for me I have more trouble adjusting to the action of the guitar more so than the actual shape of the neck itself. If the action is correct for my playing style I barely even notice the neck shape. Granted, I've not played every neck shape produced so there may be a few that I would not gel with, but for the most common guitars I really don't seem to have much trouble.

As a side note I will say this, I'm not particular fond of the 7.25 vintage Fender necks. I do prefer a flatter board. However, I have owned guitars with that radius before and got along fine with them. Just not my first choice.

How about you guys/gals? Do you try to stick to a particular neck shape? Or do you adjust fairly well to whatever you pick up?

I like to think of myself as "neck agnostic" (thanks Alan) or "neck neutral". In other words...I seem to like them all, with exception of maybe a "soft V". It isn't a bugaboo for me, just feels weird in my hand.
But I still adjust pretty quickly as well. Just takes me a minute.

Overall, I'm just a guitar slut, put one in my hands and I'm gonna play it (badly but, play it none the less). Like you, it's more of an action thing for me. That actually can hinder my playing more than anything. But that's just me. Necks are definitely a "To each his own" kinda deal.

Last edited:
I have mostly wide fat/patter regular necks on my PRS guitars. Some of my older wide fat necks are fatter than my other guitars. I have various brands of guitars as well with various neck profiles. I can adjust almost instantly when I switch guitars, except in one situation. I am more of a 22 fret player than anything else. I own three 24 fret guitars. These take me some time to adjust to them when I pick them up. I am honestly thinking about selling all three of them because I just don't play them. I have finally admitted to myself that I am really not that fond of 24 fret necks.

I adjust to differences in necks pretty quickly. You kind of have to if you play a classical and anything else.
Yeah, those classical necks are HUGE!!! If you can play those, I'd think that adjusting to other sizes may not be a problem.
I like to think of myself as "neck agnostic" (thanks Alan) or "neck neutral". In other words...I seem to like them all, with exception of maybe a "soft V". It isn't a bugaboo for me, just feels weird in my hand.
But I still adjust pretty quickly as well. Just takes me a minute.

Overall, I'm just a guitar slut, put one in my hands and I'm gonna play it (badly but, play it none the less). Like you, it's more of an action thing for me. That actually can hinder my more than anything. But that's just me. Necks are definitely a "To each his own" kinda deal.
Very true. To each their own. Not knocking anyone that is neck specific by any means.
I have mostly wide fat/patter regular necks on my PRS guitars. Some of my older wide fat necks are fatter than my other guitars. I have various brands of guitars as well with various neck profiles. I can adjust almost instantly when I switch guitars, except in one situation. I am more of a 22 fret player than anything else. I own three 24 fret guitars. These take me some time to adjust to them when I pick them up. I am honestly thinking about selling all three of them because I just don't play them. I have finally admitted to myself that I am really not that fond of 24 fret necks.
That's a great point. I've played 24 fret guitars, but I've never owned one. I could definitely see how that might be a little confusing when switching back and forth.

I like just about all the PRS varieties. I can get hand cramps on a thin one after a while, but I like them. No real issues playing any necks. If I had a favorite it's probably the W/F.

Well I was "spoiled" by the neck on my '58 LP Junior. Yep, it was the baseball bat carve, I'm a big guy with big hands, and it was perfect for me.

When I picked up my first PRS ('95 CU22 w/wide fat), it felt just like the Junior! That was all it took to sell me on the guitar. I didn't know anything about 10-tops, Dragon 1's, etc., but what a perfect guitar FOR ME! I still own and play it 27 years later, and it's a beast!

I can't play a "skinny neck" guitar for more than 30 minutes before a hand cramp rears it's ugly head.

I like just about all the PRS varieties. I can get hand cramps on a thin one after a while, but I like them. No real issues playing any necks. If I had a favorite it's probably the W/F.
You know, I don't really notice the difference in necks on PRS's until I get two or three side by side and play them. At least I haven't yet. Granted, I've probably played more Fenders, Gibsons, Gretsch's over the years than I have PRS's, but still. From my experience there could be a greater variance with those in general than PRS. PRS guitars definitely feel more "fine tuned" to me.
I'm also pretty agnostic with necks as long as it's not Ibanez Wizard sized, those cramp me up terribly. My favorite PRS is probably "pattern".
My PRS is a pattern vintage neck and I must say I like it a whole lot. Super comfortable and very, very easy to play. I played several PRS's the day I bought mine and three had the pattern vintage. I couldn't tell the difference in any. Very consistent.
I'm a neck slut. I'll play anything!
:p
Well I was "spoiled" by the neck on my '58 LP Junior. Yep, it was the baseball bat carve, I'm a big guy with big hands, and it was perfect for me.

When I picked up my first PRS ('95 CU22 w/wide fat), it felt just like the Junior! That was all it took to sell me on the guitar. I didn't know anything about 10-tops, Dragon 1's, etc., but what a perfect guitar FOR ME! I still own and play it 27 years later, and it's a beast!

I can't play a "skinny neck" guitar for more than 30 minutes before a hand cramp rears it's ugly head.
That's a great point. I have average size hands I would say, but I can definitely understand your predicament with smaller necks.
I played a 7.25 radius skinny neck 68 RI Strat for decades. I got an SE with a 10 inch radius and really liked it. Then I got an S2 with a Pattern Regular and LOVED it. Probably my favorite electric neck ever.
I'd say my problem with the 7.25 doesn't have anything to do with feel per se, but rather the fretting out. Of course that was a common complaint for most.

I'm lucky. I really like thinner modern C necks, which seem to be everywhere these days. The neck on an EBMM JP is the most comfortable neck I've played. Pattern thin is slightly bigger than I'd prefer, but only if I'm being picky. I really enjoy it.

My 7 string has too big of a neck. Maybe over the summer I'll take a rasp to it and take some of the shoulders off of it.

I'm lucky. I really like thinner modern C necks, which seem to be everywhere these days. The neck on an EBMM JP is the most comfortable neck I've played. Pattern thin is slightly bigger than I'd prefer, but only if I'm being picky. I really enjoy it.

My 7 string has too big of a neck. Maybe over the summer I'll take a rasp to it and take some of the shoulders off of it.
I haven't played a ton of 7-strings in my life, but of the ones I have they surprisingly were not that cumbersome to me. Again, after a few minutes it felt fine. Now, as far as my quality of playing on a 7-string...... that's another story!!!!

I'm a neck slut. I'll play anything!

That's just disgusting! :cool:
7656f5fe-0825-4031-93a4-b084001c46f6-1530045435.gif

Back