Intentionally Leaving PRS in Sunlight to Fade Colors

Johnny

Has anyone intentionally left their guitars in direct sunlight to get the colors faded a bit?

I was thinking about doing that as my black gold is a little bit darker than I'd like, would love to hear some input/see some pics before going forward!

Thanks!!

Subscribed. I, too, have been considering this with one of mine.

Its a sunburst. I'm worried the red won't fade and the amber centre will.

I've been curious about this as well. I've got an 06 Whale Blue CE22, but I'd prefer something a little lighter like Matteo Blue or Aquableux. What I don't want is like a faded blue jean or something.

Should be interesting....

All those pigments are going to react differently, so it's a crap shoot as to how they will end up.
I think if I were doing it, I'd try to set up a rotation schedule so exposure would be as even as possible...

For me I love the golden look of faded emerald green. But if you go too far they all look like greyish wood. So you have to be careful how far you let it go. So far I've kept mine in the cases. Only the upper horn backside has started to turn on my 11 year old Cu24. I haven't been willing to start because there is no going back.

I haven't, but I've bought "pre-faded" guitars, knowingly. Mine were sapphire blue, and they're now sapphire green, and they're beautiful. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you at all, as it's in an entirely different hue range, but just thought I'd mention it anyway. You can find before pictures just by Googling "paul reed smith sapphire", and here's the after picture (1st and 3rd).
vG3ydMQ.jpg

There's also some really harsh fluorescent lights that can accomplish the same thing.

Really digging those faded light look!

The blues seem to fade pretty nicely from what I've seen, just wasn't sure what results I would have with Black Gold.

Been a lurker here for a few months. Subscribing to this thread has confirmed my membership. I'm looking forward to seeing more fades. I'll post some shots of my SE once I can insert links.

Found a blue and purple one that faded:

Royal Blue:

053-1_zps29efe381.jpg

Wow look at this purple! It's like pink:

IMG_1174.jpg

I'd love for my vintage yellow to fade a bit... but I don't think it's a particularly susceptible colour...

If you are trying to get the finish to fade, remember that the stained top may fade, but the painted burst won't.
Could you elaborate a little more please on stained top and painted burst?

Do you mean painted to mean opaque?

Could you elaborate a little more please on stained top and painted burst?

Do you mean painted to mean opaque?
I think what Shawn is pointing out is that on your black gold top, the gold might fade, but the black will not.

I think what Shawn is pointing out is that on your black gold top, the gold might fade, but the black will not.
Not if the black is stain and not paint. He is saying that the stains fade, the opaque paint does not.

If you are trying to get the finish to fade, remember that the stained top may fade, but the painted burst won't.

Yeah, I think my Studio in Faded Blue Burst is doing this. The blue stripe around the edge of the body seems much more prominent than when it was new.

I've tried getting my whale blue to fade some, but she has not. Stubborn she is.

Back