Installed HipShot locking tuners...

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
After hearing about them on the forum (previously thinking they made bridges for some reason), I ordered a couple sets of Tuners. One set I put on my SE CU24, chrome open back locking, the other set, black open back non locking w/gold buttons, which matches the FR beautifully, is going on my Peavy project guitar.

I figured who not give them a shot, since I don't have to drill anything on my guitars, they have nifty plates that hold everything in place.

The first thing I noticed after I took 8 minutes to install them, wouldn't you know it, I couldn't find a 10mm wrench or socket, I noticed the pegs are really short. Anyone else with these also notice that?

A flatter angle on the camera

The B string slipped out of its lock, and I have no idea if it's going to slip out while playing, or if it seated in the lock and will be fine. I do have an extra 13 string so if it does oh well.

Also, I don't know if it's because I used different strings rather than the Colbalts I usually use, I got my 30th anniversary gift from PRS, so I used the PRS strings, but I can't keep the high E string in tune. If I do any more than 1 bend, it'll drop anywhere from a half-step to a whole step flat. I stretched the strings, and all the other strings are fine, but that one is being a pain. I don't know if it's the new tuners, or the string, but I've got 3 and a half wraps on the tuning peg, and it's still going flat. Any ideas?

I'd pick up a single string and replace the one not staying in tune. I've had strings on occasion that wouldn't intonate proper so who knows. I don't have any tuners like that but do have some Sperzel that have a similarly short post. No issues with mine but keep in mind it will make your strings lay across the nut at a harder angle. Watch to make sure you don't get any binding in the nut. I wonder if that could be causing your tuning issue?

I'd pick up a single string and replace the one not staying in tune. I've had strings on occasion that wouldn't intonate proper so who knows. I don't have any tuners like that but do have some Sperzel that have a similarly short post. No issues with mine but keep in mind it will make your strings lay across the nut at a harder angle. Watch to make sure you don't get any binding in the nut. I wonder if that could be causing your tuning issue?

I'll check the nut, I do have a Tusq nut on this guitar, so the slots are plenty wide, but I didn't think about the angle changing because of the posts.

The only options I saw were same length posts or staggered posts, didn't get the staggered because, well, don't need them, lol.

In case someone is also interested in those tuners, I've installed the 21mm Grip-Lock open locking tuner with satin chrome SK1 Hi tech knurled roller buttons and chrome PRS UMP plate on my PRS SE Custom 24 and they're awesome!
I don't have the issue mentionned above with the pegs being too short and those knurdled roller buttons look really cool!

Here's what it looks like BTW:
wp5SRyZ

Takes a bit of getting used to for my eye, not to see the tuners running perpendicular to the the centre line on the head stock.

I love the tuners, Hipshot are s€xy as hell with their open mechanism, but I’d want them mounted like the original tuners, I know this presents an issue as far as returning the old tuners to the guitar and drilling.

It’s a shame they don’t make a PRS plate that overcomes this.

If anyone has contacts with Hipshot, maybe make the suggestion.

I have them on my SE CU24, and think they are pretty nice. I would rather have tuners that are a direct fit replacement, so I will be going with Gotoh's on the 245.

“Broken record time”

Gotoh tuners are the bomb! I have non-locking ones as well and the mechanisms are nice and smooth.

Yes, the plates on the back can be removed very easily if you want to re-install the Se tuners when you sell the guitar. I have 5 SE’s, all with Hipshot locking tuners. They are da bomb.
hi i have the sliver sky se will the hip shot tuners and plates work on my guitar you think?if so what size did you have to reem the holes out?

M,

If you're located in the states, a quick call to PRS Customer Service will set you right. IIRC, the peg holes in the SS are imperial and the SS SE are metric. Although they're the same size, I'd check with PRS to be sure.

Back