Install push pull tone pot on 2015 custom 24?

I just modified my diagram to include the DPDT switch. Is not the fancies one (made it in paint) but it makes the point. Please note that I based the wiring color on a PRS document. Not sure if it was old or current so please follow the Plus' (HOT) and Minus' (GROUND).
HH_Y2%20-%20PRS-3.png
Thanks. This looks like it makes sense. Just to be clear, when I connect the top lug to ground and hot, I can simply connect the top lug to the hot or ground wire at its current position on the blade? Is this correct?

Yeah, notice how they connect to the same contact point as the HOT or Ground of the standard PU configuration.

Yeah looks like you are on the right track.

White and Black may be reversed compared to the diagram by @cags12. The PRS diagrams show white as hot for bridge, black as hot for neck. This was true for the 85/15 set in my Custom 22.

Here is an explanation of the PRS switch I worked out that may be helpful. It is a modified Super Switch setup. They removed a lug from each pole, and the two poles on each wafer are permanently connected to a single common lug. It limits the capabilities of the switch, but it's perfectly tailored for the PRS wiring scheme.

q8Gj4Uw.jpg
q8Gj4Uw.jpg

Yeah looks like you are on the right track.

White and Black may be reversed compared to the diagram by @cags12. The PRS diagrams show white as hot for bridge, black as hot for neck. This was true for the 85/15 set in my Custom 22.

Here is an explanation of the PRS switch I worked out that may be helpful. It is a modified Super Switch setup. They removed a lug from each pole, and the two poles on each wafer are permanently connected to a single common lug. It limits the capabilities of the switch, but it's perfectly tailored for the PRS wiring scheme.

q8Gj4Uw.jpg
q8Gj4Uw.jpg
Thanks for the detailed diagram @garrett. This helps a great deal.

I suppose my final issue is whether to connect the top lug of the push pull pot to the black wires of each pickup or the white ones to activate the screw coils when the pot is pulled up. Your explanation suggested connecting to the black wire of each pickup, while @cags12 suggests connecting to the white wires to activate screw coil. Can you confirm which is which?

Just test before permanently soldering. Use a screwdriver and tap the coils so you are sure.
I do not know which one it is as I'v found contradicting information online, probably Garret's. In any case, that will be a good troubleshooting exercise for you.

Remember, the pickups are reverse polarity, so based on the PRS diagram (and my pickups)...

Black is hot for neck. Connect the red wire to ground for screw coil or connect the red wire to hot for slug coil.

White is hot for bridge. Connect the red wire to hot for screw coil or connect the red wire to ground for slug coil.

Thanks for the detailed diagram @garrett. This helps a great deal.

I suppose my final issue is whether to connect the top lug of the push pull pot to the black wires of each pickup or the white ones to activate the screw coils when the pot is pulled up. Your explanation suggested connecting to the black wire of each pickup, while @cags12 suggests connecting to the white wires to activate screw coil. Can you confirm which is which?
Remember, the pickups are reverse polarity, so based on the PRS diagram (and my pickups)...

Black is hot for neck. Connect the red wire to ground for screw coil or connect the red wire to hot for slug coil.

White is hot for bridge. Connect the red wire to hot for screw coil or connect the red wire to ground for slug coil.
Great, thanks @garrett. I think this gives me all the info I need. In the end I’ll likely follow @cags12 advice and test before I seal everything up. I’ll keep you posted.

Great, thanks @garrett. I think this gives me all the info I need. In the end I’ll likely follow @cags12 advice and test before I seal everything up. I’ll keep you posted.
@cags12 @garrett

Thanks again for all the advice on this mod. Just did the work yesterday, and everything turned out as predicted. So this mod is actually very easy (even for a soldering noob) and gives access to two more sounds from the 85/15 pickups in a minimally invasive way.

Thanks again!

@cags12 @garrett

Thanks again for all the advice on this mod. Just did the work yesterday, and everything turned out as predicted. So this mod is actually very easy (even for a soldering noob) and gives access to two more sounds from the 85/15 pickups in a minimally invasive way.

Thanks again!

Cool, glad to be of help. So which one was it? I mean, the color code..

BTW. You have four more sounds. The independent single screw coils, the combined in parallel (this is new as you combined the screw coils as opposed of the slugs like pos 4 of the standard wiring) and mute ( that is also a sound ;) )

Cool, glad to be of help. So which one was it? I mean, the color code..

BTW. You have four more sounds. The independent single screw coils, the combined in parallel (this is new as you combined the screw coils as opposed of the slugs like pos 4 of the standard wiring) and mute ( that is also a sound ;) )
@cags12 @garrett To split to screw coil, it ended up being the white wire for both. So at the top lug of the pot, I ran jumpers to the white wire for each pickup. Pretty straightforward in the end. Much appreciate all your advice!

And good point about the four sounds. The added mute switch is not a bad feature either.

Back