Input on wah pedals...

FWIW, I have the Morley Tremonti and the Dunlop Slash wahs, and used to have a mid-90s standard Crybaby once upon a time. The Slash wah sounds a bit sweeter, but the Tremonti wah is much easier to use IMHO. The step-on/step-off thing is rather addictive.

The Slash wah is actually just a Crybaby Classic with a distortion circuit added in. The Fasel inductor that comes in those sounds sweetest to my ears.

The Slash wah is actually just a Crybaby Classic with a distortion circuit added in. The Fasel inductor that comes in those sounds sweetest to my ears.

Actually, the newest Slash Crybaby Classic was more akin to the Hendrix Wah "lower frequency" but with the on/off lights and true bypass and no distortion. I like the tone of it over the Crybaby classic, sounds great with buckers and moderate gain. Sounds a lot like the Teese Wizard Wah I had, but at half the price. Looks like the discontinued it already but they still make the distortion version.

Last edited:
I had the dunlop crybaby wah for a long time but always hated having to rock it forward to activate it. When it went bad I bought the morley bad horsie switchless and liked it until I gigged with it. Didn't cut through very well and I got rid of it. I now have the 95Q but don't like the on/off transition. I can hear it switch on and off so I will use it until I find something better.

I've cracked open my 95Q and made a few tweaks to the default settings. I rolled the one knob back all the way so that there is now almost no indication of the "on/off" transition you mentioned. I also rolled the default position back on the pot to help remove some of that squawky high end I didn't like. I'm much happier with it now. I picked up a Tremonti...waiting for it to get here to play with it. I'll keep looking though...the quest for tone never ends!!!!

I bought a Tremonti today, will be here tomorrow.
Good price at Amazon, tad cheaper than Sweetwater.

I have a Crybaby I got back in 2012, looking forward to this one.
I also have a Thomas Organ Crybaby from around '71 or '72 that is at my sisters in storage.

I've had more wah pedals than I can remember. What I'm currently running and love is a Tremonti and a Dimebag. The Tremonti gets 90% of use. I primarily use the Dime for really high treble harmonic squeals. The Tremonti is the best wah I've ever owned.

I have the Cantrell wah and love it. It has a dark sound to it just like you would expect from Jerry's wah. It is not switch less but I wouldn't want any other wah pedal.

I have a Snarling Dogs "Super Bawl" Whine-O-Wah which is super noisy, but super fun to play with.

It is a step-on-to-activate, and has another switch to activate a second inductor.

There are three settings (Shaft, Voo Doo and White Room) which affect the frequency range, and there is an Estrogen / Testosterone switch to add gain if you like.

Plus, the doggie eyes light up red (one for one inductor, both for two). It's alot of fun, but it's relegated to basement play due to the noise factor. But it's gobs-o-fun!

http://guitarnoize.com/snarling-dogs-whine-o-wah/#sthash.xzgMxjFZ.dpbs

My favorite wah ever was the DeArmond Weeper, which sadly is not made any longer. Bought one new in around 1982 and used it for many years until it died.
Lately been using a Crybaby Classic and Crybaby Standard. The Classic is a bit sweeter sounding but the standard is more pronounced and cuts better. I like them both but admittedly have not tried a lot of the other ones mentioned here.

I had a wah pedal once. Traded it for a yellow dog. Gave the dog to the pound!

Bar tender, I say Bartender can I have another round.

the wah cried like a baby and the dog bit me on the @ss.

the wah cried like a baby and the dog bit me on the @ss.

And I cant find my woman at any bar I pass, (spoken) but I got some octafuzz right'chere.

Am Em7, Dm7 chord progression,

For grins

I have the Cantrell and love it. It's got a nice smooth tone to it. I really like the heel down tone more than any other wah I've had. I really wanted the 95Q and A/B'd with the Cantrell, the Cantrell is the one that came home - it just had a sweeter overall tone to it that I couldn't leave at the store.

I've used the Tremonti wah for maybe 7 years now, with zero issues. It's an excellent wah. Obviously the on/off is a big plus. The sweep is pretty generous and the voicing is modern, not too tinny and harsh on the high frequencies. The boost is my favorite feature, especially if most of your wah usage is for leads--helps it cut through and be upfront.

+1 Me too… love it.

I have the Buddy Guy Crybaby wah, but it isn't switchless, just a good sounding wah. It's worth at least looking at. I'm not a big wah user, but I like the stuff out of that one.

+1 for the Tremonti. Bought a used one back in 2004, I think. Still going strong. The boost knob is awesome. If you decide to not got the switch-less route, I suggest a Vox classic.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but in addition to the Fulltone and Teese wahs (still the two classic sounding wahs I particularly love), the Budda wah is great for cutting through with a high gain amp.

My favorite wah ever was the DeArmond Weeper, which sadly is not made any longer. Bought one new in around 1982 and used it for many years until it died.
Lately been using a Crybaby Classic and Crybaby Standard. The Classic is a bit sweeter sounding but the standard is more pronounced and cuts better. I like them both but admittedly have not tried a lot of the other ones mentioned here.
I've been using a DeArmond Weeper since about the same time and love it. It's been my main wah all these years.

I recently decided to get a back up and picked up a Wilson Colorful Clone in vintage spec. Wickedly great pedal. Check out Wilson Wahs if you never heard of them.

P2190003_zps9989efa8.jpg

Back