Input on wah pedals...

boxstop7

Greetings, gang!

Mods, if this needs to be moved, please have at it... :)

I'm looking for input on wah pedals. Right now I'm using the Crybaby 95Q, and it's...okay. I'm a big, big fan of the switchless, "step-on/step-off" feature. However, I'm finding the sweep and the sweet spot to be less than stellar, even with the adjustable sweep available via the small knob on the side of the pedal. This has left me with some serious GAS for a new wah pedal, and while I'm not usually a fan of "signature" artist stuff, I've got it narrowed down to the Dunlop Cantrell signature, and the Morley Tremonti Signature.

I've not found either pedal in a store yet, so I have no first-hand experience with either. I like the sound of the Cantrell in the demos/reviews I've seen, but I'm really not a fan of the footswitch on/off aspect. The Tremonti wah sounds decent in the demos/reviews I've seen, and I like that it's got a built in volume boost feature and it's a switchless pedal, which again is a huge sell for me. However, I've not found any demos or reviews that pit them head to head.

Does anyone here have any experience with either the Cantrell wah or the Tremonti wah, and would be willing to share their thoughts on the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

I've used the Tremonti wah for maybe 7 years now, with zero issues. It's an excellent wah. Obviously the on/off is a big plus. The sweep is pretty generous and the voicing is modern, not too tinny and harsh on the high frequencies. The boost is my favorite feature, especially if most of your wah usage is for leads--helps it cut through and be upfront.

I've used the Tremonti wah for maybe 7 years now, with zero issues. It's an excellent wah. Obviously the on/off is a big plus. The sweep is pretty generous and the voicing is modern, not too tinny and harsh on the high frequencies. The boost is my favorite feature, especially if most of your wah usage is for leads--helps it cut through and be upfront.

+1. Love my Tremonti wah. I have 4 and it's by far my favorite.

I have had several, and really dig the RMC Pic Wah... smooth and spanky!!

I am a fan of Morley Wah pedals ( I Have the Bad Horsie ) and if space is tight they have the newer Jr versions

For my playing style, the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and the RMC wahs are in a league clearly ahead of everything else on the market. Following that are the Bonamassa and a few other wahs.

In the case of the Fulltone especially, the on-off is so smooth that I don't think the sonic tradeoff you get with the "instant on" pedals is worth the sacrifice in tone vs the Fulltone or RMC.

Just want to add that the clear-tone buffer in the Tremonti wah is completely transparent when not engaged, so there's really no sonic tradeoff against a switch-based pedal. Also if you're running this wah before a pedalboard, the buffer is a good thing.

Did you rule out the Crybaby Classic? Fasel inductor, true bypass, right now it's my wah of choice.

For my playing style, the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and the RMC wahs are in a league clearly ahead of everything else on the market. Following that are the Bonamassa and a few other wahs.

In the case of the Fulltone especially, the on-off is so smooth that I don't think the sonic tradeoff you get with the "instant on" pedals is worth the sacrifice in tone vs the Fulltone or RMC.

+1 on the Fulltone. I actually liked the regular Clyde over the Deluxe for tone. Both are amazing and the best I've heard...for me.

Just want to add that the clear-tone buffer in the Tremonti wah is completely transparent when not engaged, so there's really no sonic tradeoff against a switch-based pedal. Also if you're running this wah before a pedalboard, the buffer is a good thing.

The sonic tradeoff isn't about the switch. It's about the tone of the pedal when it's on, for me.

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I prefer the switchless just b/c of the nature of my band. I'm already doing the stompbox dance from hell as it is (I'll likely be investing in a GEC9 in a matter of days to alleviate much of that), and I like the fact that for a quick solo or fill (especially when I'm also singing lead vocals, since I'm the only guitar player in the band), I can just put my foot on the wah, use it, and step right off without worrying that I've engaged the switch fully to turn it off. My rig and the gear I buy are definitely tailored to facilitate live performance. I don't do any recording or stuff like that; I'm pretty exclusively a gigging musician, so I prefer stuff that simplifies my life on stage.

I'm curious if that bit of additional information changes anyone's thoughts or input?

It's not switchless but, the Custom Audio Electonics wah, in my opinion, is the best one out there. Two different sounds plus a boost. simply amazing.

I use the dunlop jh model. Use it more cut in and out stuff like metallica's quick wah ins. Highly liked it because it is true bypass and no noticeable signal loss.

I have the Morley Bad Horsie II, which also has the adjustable EQ. No issues with it, so I'd expect none with the Tremonti. And there is a pot inside so you can adjust the off-time from when you take your foot off the pedal.

The closest I can come to a complaint is that sometimes it disengages for me because I'm set up on a carpeted floor, and that you can't set it as a notch filter unless you keep your foot on it.

I use a 30 year old vox . It started to get tired so I replaced it with a bonamassa wha fantastic with halo inductor

FWIW, I have the Morley Tremonti and the Dunlop Slash wahs, and used to have a mid-90s standard Crybaby once upon a time. The Slash wah sounds a bit sweeter, but the Tremonti wah is much easier to use IMHO. The step-on/step-off thing is rather addictive.

I have had my tremonti wah forever it seems like. It's the only pedal to ever stay with me. Now I have a buddy who has the cantrell and it sounds great but like others have said before the footswitch on/off thing is a big put off to some. The step on step off switching on the tremonti wah is very addicting and stage friendly.

I had the dunlop crybaby wah for a long time but always hated having to rock it forward to activate it. When it went bad I bought the morley bad horsie switchless and liked it until I gigged with it. Didn't cut through very well and I got rid of it. I now have the 95Q but don't like the on/off transition. I can hear it switch on and off so I will use it until I find something better.

I have the Morley Maverick Mini Switchless wah. I dig the size of it for for small pedalboard. The biggest issues with most of the Morley pedals is the tone, you have to like it as it's a different sound than most of the vintage styles. The Lynch Dragon Wah 2 has a good vintage voicing mode and an "on" fixed position switch if you want that kind of Schenker tone. The modern "Wow" mode was kind of useless for me, but it kind of sounded like that over the top Zakk Wylde tone, only more intense if that makes sense.

As for switched wahs, I have the newer Slash signature that I like a lot. Having on/off lights on it sort of helps as that was my main complaint over the Teese or other Crybaby style wahs I've owned.

Back