Input Jack Repalcement

Jimura

Hi! My input jack is gving issues. Looks like the connection needs resoldering or replacement. Only issue are the screws holding the jack on a way too tight and i cannot get them to give. The screw heads don't look too healthy either because of the pressure I've used. Any ideas on what I can do? Its a 24 SE Standard btw
?

I live in the middle of nowhere in rural Ireland, ain't no luthiers here lol, any way I could do this myself?

Well if your convinced the screw heads are a…screwed then you can take a small pair of pliers and (after) removing the back cover over the electronics yeah screws again try and somewhat hold the jack harness from the back with your fingers and use the pliers to remove the nut on the output jack. Pull the harness out, it will be a pain but can be done, resolder the jack correctly and feed the harness back in (don’t loose the lock washer) and reinstall the jack. Yes a pain but can be done. other little tricks are feed a pipe cleaner from the out side and once in the electric cavity bend it over stick it in the jack and feed it back out so you can put the nut/ washer if there is one back on. Also if you cannot hold the harness to tighten the nut ( you don’t want it spinning as it will rip your wires off) then take the hopefully needle nose pliers and stick them in the jack and hold the tip against the tang or just expand them and hold them open this should give enough tension to tighten the nut. The reason the screws are getting messed up is the screwdriver not the screws get a better or more correct fitting screwdriver lol. In the end remember you can’t brake what’s already broken so at least give it a try. Good luck we’re all counting on you.

try something like this, always kept something similar in my tool box

Well if your convinced the screw heads are a…screwed then you can take a small pair of pliers and (after) removing the back cover over the electronics yeah screws again try and somewhat hold the jack harness from the back with your fingers and use the pliers to remove the nut on the output jack. Pull the harness out, it will be a pain but can be done, resolder the jack correctly and feed the harness back in (don’t loose the lock washer) and reinstall the jack. Yes a pain but can be done. other little tricks are feed a pipe cleaner from the out side and once in the electric cavity bend it over stick it in the jack and feed it back out so you can put the nut/ washer if there is one back on. Also if you cannot hold the harness to tighten the nut ( you don’t want it spinning as it will rip your wires off) then take the hopefully needle nose pliers and stick them in the jack and hold the tip against the tang or just expand them and hold them open this should give enough tension to tighten the nut. The reason the screws are getting messed up is the screwdriver not the screws get a better or more correct fitting screwdriver lol. In the end remember you can’t brake what’s already broken so at least give it a try. Good luck we’re all counting on you.
you didn’t turn clockwise did you?
Surprising that two puny wood screws can be so stubborn.
Thats whats so weird

Was considering that option, really like the tip with the pipe cleaner!

I'm very surprised the screws are giving you trouble. Seems obvious, but are you turning them the correct way?

If you can get to the jack, fixing it is likely a very simple soldering job. Even if you haven't soldered before you can probably do this.

If you want to or need to replace the jack entirely, then I recommend Switchcraft or Pure Tone.

Perhaps the screwdriver you're using is a little too big and doesn't get enough "bite" into the screw head.

Back