Initial Silver Sky observations

Daniel Elam

Alright, so y’all know by now my dad gave me his 2019 (new to him) Silver Sky yesterday. What??!! A few of my initial observations are:

1) This guitar may have the biggest sonic range of any guitar I’ve ever played. As far as Strats go (I have owned 5 or 6, currently own one Fender Strat), the SS, with volume and tone knobs at ~ 8.5-9, is like playing a regular Strat full tilt/wide open. Go to 10 on the SS and you’re in another gear that Fenders just don’t have. I’ve had a lot of other types of guitars over the years and the only thing I’ve had that is maybe a close second was my J Mascis Jazzmaster but it was not as sweet when you backed things down. The SS loves overdrive and high gain. It loves cleans. The pickups sound and feel hot/loud, however it’s a trick because they seem to actually add headroom to my presets in my Helix. But they sound aggressive at the same time. Maybe it’s magic. I don’t know.

2) The neck...is amazing. I think John went with the smaller frets so he could actually feel the board underneath the strings like on a vintage Fender. It that respect it does have a vintage feel so mission accomplished but I need to condition or oil this board to make the contact feel a little slicker. Any product recommendations. My current Fender Strat is 7.25 radius so I’m right at home with that aspect of it. And I don’t really have a preference for radius. I have and have had 12”, 10”, 7.25”, 12-16”, 9.5”. To me, it just has to feel good overall. As I’ve gotten older, I much prefer a neck with a decent shoulder and one that fills my palm pretty well. I don’t like have to scrunch my hand together like a clam shell just to hang on to a thin neck.

3) The tuners. Didn’t think I would like them but I do. They are solid and feel great.

4) Static builds up under the pickguard. My dad told me about it so I wasn’t surprised when it happened today. Supposedly MojoAxe PGs are a good solution? Or dryer sheets? What do others do to deal with it?

Thanks everyone!
Q5rh03n.jpg

PRS Fretboard Conditioner is a safe bet:
https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/prs-fretboard-conditioner

I also have never had the static thing, but do a search of the forum; it’s been discussed before.

I’ve never owned an early 60s Strat, but if that’s what these are based on, then they’re better guitars than what came later. I had a early 90s Strat Plus that was the best Strat I’d ever found. Really liked that one. Kept it from ‘93 until last year, when the Silver Sky proved itself to be a better Strat than the genuine article. They’re great guitars!

It’s not severe. Just some static popping if I ran my fingers over the pickguard. Yes, all the plastic film is off. It was after I had played it for maybe 4-5 hours straight. I don’t think it will be an issue.

Back