INGD: I just put a deposit down on a 2008 Core Mira

The limba that PRS used is actually white limba. The korina guitars do not have the mineral streaks that are the tell-tale signs of black limba.

I stand corrected!

And here's an example of what black limba looks like

Xk9PDHe.jpg

This thread is not helping my Mira GAS, which had been in check for a while.

Oh, and to get a bit more low end, and drop the highs on the bridge pup, maybe try either adjusting the height, side to side (lower the treble side) or adjusting the pole pieces.

What is interesting is that lot of Mira Korina first owners eBayed the guitars fairly quickly because they were so bright. I almost eBayed mine as well; however, Brian Meader gave me a PTC coupon when I purchased the guitar with which I had 57/08s installed and had the guitar setup for 9.5s (the Mira Korina needs eddy current inducing nickel/silver covered pickups). I do not know what the guys in the PRC did to the guitar, but it was like they sprinkled fairy dust on it. What the folks in the PTC do best is bring out the absolute best out any guitar they receive. The folks on the production line do a fantastic job, but the PTC kicks everything up a notch. Those guys are wizards.

Dave's just got in two Mira prototypes. They had some other prototypes recently too, both McCarty models, one with a redwood neck and the other with a cedar neck I think? Man I'd love to try those.

Also, I know these both say 2008 prototypes but the Mira was introduced at winter NAMM 2007. Wish they'd zoom in on the serial number.

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/mira-prototype-08-2/
https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/mira-prototype-08/

Yeah, saw these today and couldn’t see anything that denotes they’re prototypes, it’s usually been written on the back of the headstock in most cases.

Not that I doubt Dave’s.

What is interesting is that lot of Mira Korina first owners eBayed the guitars fairly quickly because they were so bright. I almost eBayed mine as well; however, Brian Meader gave me a PTC coupon when I purchased the guitar with which I had 57/08s installed and had the guitar setup for 9.5s (the Mira Korina needs eddy current inducing nickel/silver covered pickups). I do not know what the guys in the PRC did to the guitar, but it was like they sprinkled fairy dust on it. What the folks in the PTC do best is bring out the absolute best out any guitar they receive. The folks on the production line do a fantastic job, but the PTC kicks everything up a notch. Those guys are wizards.

Can you expand on this...I thought covers were either inert or attenuated highs?

Can you expand on this...I thought covers were either inert or attenuated highs?

Eddy currents caused by metal covers are what is responsible for the loss of highs. Plastic covers do not do the same thing. The base plate on a telecaster pickup serves the same role. It causes eddy currents to form that interact with the magnetic circuit altering its performance.

An eddy current is a circular current that can form when a conductive metal is placed perpendicular to the plane of a magnetic field. Since eddy currents are moving they produce their own magnetic field that interacts with a pickup's magnetic field, altering its performance. A lot of guitarists believe that metal covers act like capacitors that roll off highs. The reality is that eddy currents created by the metal cover are responsible for the loss of highs. The less bright tone of Nile Rodger's "Hitmaker" Strat is caused by eddy currents forming in the aluminum pick guard.

Dave's just got in two Mira prototypes. They had some other prototypes recently too, both McCarty models, one with a redwood neck and the other with a cedar neck I think? Man I'd love to try those.

Also, I know these both say 2008 prototypes but the Mira was introduced at winter NAMM 2007. Wish they'd zoom in on the serial number.

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/mira-prototype-08-2/
https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/mira-prototype-08/

@sergiodeblanc Both of those have later serial numbers than yours. Definitely not protos. Weird that they would label them as such.

Do it. Seriously.
Tell your wife its my fault.

I’m really tempted, but it would be the third PRS I’ve bought this spring. I’d tell her that there’s no way to lose money on this, but... She’s figured out that I never sell anything.

Hi, I hope you all won't mind if I share a photo of my 2008 Mira. It's my first (and so far only) PRS. I bought it used in 2015 and had to stop playing guitar a few months later. The issue improved a few months ago, though, and I've been able to play again. The Mira was the first guitar I picked up and has been by far my most played. I do find the pickups a bit on the bright side, but a little adjustment on the tone control takes care of it. And I can get turn it back up to add some clarity the few times I play with high gain. Anyway, here it is.

aIMfNxh.jpg

Back