Indie Film I Scored Won Another Award.

I had to beat my head against a brick wall just to break into the ad music biz 30 years ago.

Now I'm long-established. I like what I do.

Do I want to repeat the process in LA, only this time 30 years older? I don't think so.
If they keep coming to you, you won't have too. :)

I had to beat my head against a brick wall just to break into the ad music biz 30 years ago.

Now I'm long-established. I like what I do.

Do I want to repeat the process in LA, only this time 30 years older? I don't think so.
If my comment offended you, I'm sorry. By potentially more rewarding, I meant, you get to do what you want more, vs. what the client wants. I was trying to be positive and encouraging. Sorry if it didn't come off that way.

If my comment offended you, I'm sorry. By potentially more rewarding, I meant, you get to do what you want more, vs. what the client wants. I was trying to be positive and encouraging. Sorry if it didn't come off that way.

DTR, I wasn't the least bit offended! So let me explain.

First, I love doing the work I do.

I've done other indie films and TV documentaries as well. Films are no more "do what you want" than commercials. They're collaborative works, and there are opinions and processes that composers have to deal with that are every bit as restrictive as doing ads.

I've been in this, my second career, for 30 years. I built this up from nothing, and had to carve out opportunities in a very crowded field. Previously, I'd built up my own law firm, from scratch, in a crowded field full of talented, smart people. Making each career successful wasn't a walk in the park. I like being well-paid, like anyone else.

I feel pretty good about where I am, and don't feel the urge to put on the armor and start fighting dragons again.

When I want to please myself, I write something to make myself happy. When I write for myself, I get to be the the sole arbiter of whether something works. It's great!

Back