Incoming-Soon (hopefully) NGD: 1994 CE 22

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Cris_muschilensis, May 21, 2021.

1. Cris_muschilensis

Cris_muschilensis Amateur Extraordinaire

So, after years planning and trying to buy a USA made PRS, with actually all odds against, pulled the trigger and bought this beauty:
    [​IMG]

So, probably due to covid i paid more than i should have for it, but being a 94, i believe it could be a hit or miss. Previous owner changed the phase 1 tuners for phase II (goodbye "vintage" value lol ), but included the original rotary switch (i will change the toggle, want to try rotary ;) ) and after purchase i discovered the bridge isn't brass, but steel block which was a bumer (never been a fan of steel blocks, but we will see).

Turns out it was the most affordable CE i've found on reverb on those days and i had the birthday fever so i couldn't help it and pulled the trigger. I've struggled with my bank to put the money on Paypal and wondered myself if i should have waited for a new S2 arriving at Sweetwater on JULY. (I guess patience is not my thing).

But i wanted the real deal. I was having remorse of buying it later, because part of my savings to travel abroad were used, but since all this carana nonsense i decided the trip may wait. Still, i've been thinking maybe i don´t deserve it, i suck at guitar, this will not make me play better. Sound better perhaps...Today i was able to prepay transport and taxes to bring it to my country and i wanted to share with you my first "real" guitar, my first PRSi and why not, the one that stays forever. I just hope it has a good trip and customs

VHTStark, WA Paul, SinSir and 13 others like this.
  2. Moondog Wily

Moondog Wily Howlin' At The Moon!

Congrats Cris! Play the F out of it!! For what it is worth, I too know how bad I am on guitar, and bought my first PRS this year. My playing level is what had been holding me back from ever buying one. I decided, I might not be a race car driver, but that does not mean I shouldn't have fun with a Ferrari!!!

As for collector's value, you bought it to play it, so don't sweat it, just enjoy it!

Happy pickin'!
    MW

3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

If I go by that, I should have zero guitars. :( Awesome guitar! Congrats, I’m sure you deserve it, and it absolutely can make you a better player if it inspires you to play. :cool:

4. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ Devil

Congrats! CE22’s are just awesome.
    Looks like the pickups have been changed if it’s a 94. Or the covers were added. It should have Dragon I’s which don’t have covers.

5. Wailing

Wailing New Member

Fantastic guitar... stop fretting (intentional pun) stay in the moment... it’s on its way and smiles can be hard to find so enjoy the experience when you open that case

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Just enjoy the beautiful guitar and put all negative thoughts out of your mind. You will become a better player by playing this guitar. Congratulations.

7. Going Modal

Going Modal I should be practicing right now.

Wow--that's not a particularly popular color on PRS but it looks FANTASTIC on your guitar! That is awesome... congrats, I really dig that.

Cris_muschilensis likes this.
  8. Cris_muschilensis

Thanks for your words guys. I wanted to finish the op saying that I hope customs release her sooner than later and that I would appreciate any do’s and dont’s about this guitar,what to expect and what not. As for the pickups yes, previous owner covered the pickups. Looks nice tho. I appreciate your enthusiasm and as soon as it comes to my hands I will share some nice pictures and maybe a short video :)

shimmilou, Alnus Rubra and DISTORT6 like this.
  9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Nice playing! Congrats on finally getting your first. Enjoy it for a long time!

10. Gtrbldr

Gtrbldr New Member

Looks great, love the color. I own a brother/sister with 24 frets from that same particular year and has been with me far longer than any e-guitar I ever owned. As far as I know, they used alder instead of mahogany. Mine's great and given the PRS reputation for consistency: so should yours. Enjoy it!

11. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Killer finish...2TSB??? (Black-Yellow burst??) and that neck!!! (I'm thinking you got the wide-fat neck...) KILLER guitars!! Congrats!!!

12. NazgulUK

NazgulUK Oops I did it again

Love that, what a great looking finish!

13. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Great looking guitar, I’m a fan of that dark sunburst look. Personally, I’m a bug believer on having equipment that doesn’t hold you back, so I think it’s perfect that you have a truly pro level guitar. Congratulations on buying it.... it will last you decades longer than a trip!

14. Blakemore

Blakemore New Member

Happy NGD!

I’ve been on the hunt for a hog/maple CE22 in purple flame for a bit now but the well is a bit dry at the moment.

Play it loud and enjoy!! :D

dogrocketp and Cris_muschilensis like this.
  15. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Congratulations, what a beauty!

16. Cris_muschilensis

Many thanks to all of you. So i have a list of ideas i wanted to put into action to make some small changes in order to feel her more "personal":

-remove PU covers
    -replace toggle for rotary (i´m extremely curious about those in between tones)
    -replace PU rings for black ones (does the modern ones fit on the CE? ) https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/pickup-ring-set
    -adjust the bridge and check the screws (i think in one of the pictures the back of the bridge is resting in the body :/ )
    -replace steel block for brass block (is it THAT different?) I had steel on other guitar and didnt enjoyed it much, but can´t tell if it was because of quality.
    -10-46 gauge strings. I've been using 10-48 but somehow i'm getting tired of them, so back to a more "normal" gauge

How is the wide fat neck compared to the modern c from the Fender MiM Standard tele i'm coming from?

17. Xtcclassic

Xtcclassic New Member

The wide fat neck is KILLER, it’s a chunky neck but it’s super comfortable. You now own what I think is the best core model PRS has ever made, the CE22 maple top with a wide fat neck. I’ve had one since ‘95, and although I’ve played hundreds of PRS guitars (I sold them for almost 18 years) I never played one that I liked better than the CE22 maple top. Congrats.

18. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

The CE 22 is one of my favorite PRSs ever made and that one is PERFECT!

bodia and Cris_muschilensis like this.
  19. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

There’s a very good chance your guitar will have a one piece bridge. As always, I recommend you live with it for a month before you start changing. You may get some very good (or not so good) surprises sonically, just like playing in 7/8 time. These were not intended for you to have to replace parts, unlike most lesser instruments with cost cutting.

bodia and Cris_muschilensis like this.
  20. Aahzz

Aahzz Bluebeard Member

That is a gorgeous guitar - congrats!!