Incoming: SE Tremonti Custom

jtbadge

Just scored a preowned Tremonti Custom in grey-black from Guitar Center's used inventory. Will post pics when it comes in.

Already have some mods planned:
-black pickup rings and switch tip (in the mail already)
-pulling out the Duncans that are in there in favor of brushed nickel covered Dimarzios.
-Tremol-No (loved it in my DGT)
-gig bag (didn't come with one)

For pickups, I am looking at the Dimarzio AT-1 or Air Zone in the bridge and the 36th PAF in the neck. I had the 36th set and Tone Zone in my old USA Singlecut at different points, and I feel like something between the hotness of the two bridge pickups would be a little more balanced. Definitely want something fat in the bridge, as this axe has a trem and maple neck. What pickups have y'all swapped into your Tremonti Customs?

Where is the best/cheapest place to score an SE Gig Bag? Used is fine.

Nice score! I just put one of the new Gravity Storm bridge pu's in my SE CU24, which also has the trem/maple neck combo, and it's definitely a fat pickup, with a pretty big mid push to it. Also had an Air Norton in the bridge of my SE CU22, which I liked, but is probably a bit low in output for what you're after. But any of the pickups you listed will sound good in that guitar too, they have a lot of bass and mids.

I also put a Tusq nut on the SE CU24 and moved up to 9.5's from the stock 9's recently, and that made a big difference, despite being a small change in gauge. Really beefed up the tone, I would recommend it. Between the Dimarzio and the strings, I find myself leaving the tone knob a lot closer to 10 than I used to, the changes killed a lot of the brightness (in a good way).

Nice score! I just put one of the new Gravity Storm bridge pu's in my SE CU24, which also has the trem/maple neck combo, and it's definitely a fat pickup, with a pretty big mid push to it. Also had an Air Norton in the bridge of my SE CU22, which I liked, but is probably a bit low in output for what you're after. But any of the pickups you listed will sound good in that guitar too, they have a lot of bass and mids.

I also put a Tusq nut on the SE CU24 and moved up to 9.5's from the stock 9's recently, and that made a big difference, despite being a small change in gauge. Really beefed up the tone, I would recommend it. Between the Dimarzio and the strings, I find myself leaving the tone knob a lot closer to 10 than I used to, the changes killed a lot of the brightness (in a good way).

The Gravity Storm looks like it would be fantastic, but I am looking for something with a traditional nickel cover. I have a pair of Evolutions I used for a long time in my old Epiphone LP that were phenomenal. The Gravity Storm seems like the natural... evolution of that line.

Oh, a string gauge increase is definite. I have played 11-49s in standard tuning for years.

I just got one in the beginning of June. I own USA PRSs and I swear...I like the Tremonti SE Custom as much as the $3K+ USA units. AWESOME awesome guitar. I cant say enough about it and it's first on my mind when I wake up and last when I go to sleep.
Ive ben running around like an IDIOT since I got it trying to tell EVERYONE that hey HAVE to try one..or at least a new SE.

What Duncans are already in yours? They might be perfect already. I definitely wouldn't order or buy replacements until you try it.

I play mostly vintage-ish tones so I love the Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. Hot, Fat and SCREAMS but is also very warm clean..and very touch sensitive.
The Duncan Custom family is pretty awesome. With an A2 it's a hot PAF sounding pup. With an A5 or ceramic mag it becomes a different pickup that is better suited for modern and higher gain stuff.
The Custom is a great platform...as is the Tremonti SE Custom.
I have a 59/09 bass in the neck position. I have not ever in my life found a better neck pickup.

As for changing the nut...there really is no need unless you go to fatter strings that might bind in it. Widening he slots fixes that.
It is my belief that swapping nuts has next to NO effect on an electric guitar's tone. I suppose it MIGHT on open strings but as soon as you fret a string or play a chord...the nut is out of the equation.
I think that WAY too much "credit" is given to nuts improving tone on electric guitars...unless all you play is open strings all the time. It sounds great tuned to DADGAD (just strumming all the strings open) but if you ever press on a string at a fretted position...I don't see how the nut is gonna improve tone one iota! That is just silliness.

IF you'd like to try a set of what would have come stock in that guitar ( a pair of SE 245s), let me know and I'll sell you a pair CHEAP!

Man...you are gonna LOVE that guitar (especially if you liked the old WT carves). You can find the uncovered 59/09s for like a hundred bucks these days and if you can...get one for the neck position, You will NOT be sorry.

If I can find a hard case for mine you can have my gigbag. You know that GC KEEPS the gigbags right? They DO come with the "Custom" gigbags...but apparently GC (slimebuckets) keep the gigbags and re-sell them??? Douches!!

Congrats and do NOT forget to post pics.

I replaced the stock pickups with the PRS Tremonti Signature pickups (you can even buy the squabbin versions now). It rocks! More similar to the USA Tremontis now.

You could put in a set of the new PRS \m/ pickups.

Last edited:
Back