Incoming PRS 94 CE24 project guitar

dwrockdoctor

Hi guys,

Just won an auction on ebay for a emerald green 94 CE24 body and neck that will be a fun little project for me. I would really like to do a gold top on this one. Would I have to strip back the clear coat on this one or just scuff up the clear with some sanding? I know there's some little chips and scratches that would have to be sorted out before anything because gold tends to show up any imperfections in the finish.

Were all 94's alder? The auction says mahogany but I thought mahogany wasn't until 95? Also has the small heel. I guess I'll find out when I can look in the neck pocket at the bare wood grain pattern.

Should be a fun little project, currently looking at some after market parts for the trem and tuners, I've seen a few decent looking brass PRS trem copies floating around. My goal is to keep things to a cheaper price if possible, I'm not fussed if everything isn't 100% branded PRS at this point. I have a VB/HFS pickup set from my 98 CE24 that I can chuck in as well as the volume, tone and rotary controls from that guitar so all I need is the tuners and the trem bridge.

Here's a link to the ebay listing for some pics:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Paul-Reed-Smith-1994-Emerald-Green-CE-24-Body-amp-Neck-PRS-/352515236121?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=cNj9NGufTvo279U5TkXHHlTw4CY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Nice! Now I can take this one off my watch list;)

(If it were me, I'd strip it to the wood)

Have a blast with it!

Bangin’!

It’s should be alder...

Are you lookin’ at those $50-60 Chinese trema on eBay? I gotta admit I’m curious about them, IDK if the pics are legit but, they look like exact copies of Excel trems. I’ll be very curious to hear your experience with one if you wind up going with one.

You could just spray gold right over the top as you’re thinkin’... you have to be really careful with spraying gold, especially if you’re using spray cans. The flake that’s in there is somewhat “directional”. By that I mean, you have to worry about spraying that sh!t at one angle, like say from the bottom up or from one side only. Otherwise you’ll get splotchy areas that appear darker and are kind of a telltale sign that the paint job Is homegrown.

If cost is a concern, I’d consider leaving it green. Even if you don’t buy ReRanch paint and just go for some basic spray paint, the painting process will be fairly expensive. If you factor in all your materials it’ll still be a hundred to a couple hundred bucks, cause you’ll need sandpaper, paint, poly/nitro/clear, polishing compound, etc etc.

If I were you, and since you won’t be playing this guitar for months (while waiting for the paint and clear to dry) I’d look for some legit PRS branded locking tuners. If you’re patient enough a set of Phase one (wings!) or Phase two tuners will pop up for sale for around a hundred bucks, and I feel that not only are they better tuners, but they also look “right” on the guitar. It could just be me but, whenever I see a PRS with the wrong tuners it just makes me sad... like kinda half-@ssed or something.

Good luck! Can’t wait to watch your process, and feel free to ask any questions, I’ve ruined a few PRS projects before.

Really like looking forward to your project.

Was watching a you tube project, where luthier was trying to remove the lacquer coats from a CU24. The sanding sealer coats were bullet proof, according to him and quite tricky to remove.

If you’re interested to see his experience, I will send you the link.

Yes,

@Alnus Rubra - I've just had an experience recently with my original first CE24 of removing clear coats. Was able to get through the acrylic coats fine with careful application of stripper but the final polyester undercoat was way too hard and I stopped there. Was trying to remove clouding in the clear on the edges but couldn't get far enough, must be between the stain and polyester coat. Has a lovely satin patina now so all is not lost even though it's not perfect. I'd love to see the link you're talking of.

@sergiodeblanc - Yep, I think I'll give one of those chinese trems a run. Not too much to lose if they're no good. They certainly look the goods in photos, all brass, etc. We'll see anyway, keeping under a certain price point is the aim of game, under $1500 AUD would be wonderful. I'm in $1150 for the body and neck including shipping so far. The actual notched PRS trem screws are going to be the expensive part, probably set me back around $75 AUS dollar. I can always get the real parts down the road, I'm in no rush. As for the gold top, I have some strat bodies lying around I can always experiment on if need be. I'll see how she looks when she arrives, if it's a really nice top I may reconsider. I love the look of some of the older UV faded emerald green PRS's I've seen floating around on the web. I've found some hipshot tuners that are drop ins for PRS and look the part (at least from the front) but I can't find any available in chrome, grrrrrrr!

Reactions: CVS
Quick question... What available gold top spray cans are closest to the old 90's era PRS gold top colour?

Check your tuner hole carefully before you buy. The footprint on the back of the headstock looks like non stock tuners may have been in it.

I had a similar thought when looking at the pics. Similar to a Sperzel footprint.

I've wondered on those projects on ebay for awhile now. Will be interested to see if it's worth the $$ if you can find one cheap enough that's not beat to hell.

If the finish isn't horrible, you might want to consider Eterna Shine- Guitar scratch remover. I used it on a 92 EGII I bought, and it worked miracles.

Does anyone have any idea of decent locking tuners that will retrofit into the slots where the winged tuners used to be? I've found gotoh sg360 HAPM that seem to fit the specs. Can't find them anywhere in chrome though.

Doing some measurements seems that the post height needs to around 22-23mm from back of headstock to tuner string hole to get the right break angle.

I'd prefer not to drill into the headstock if possible. Can't afford PRS lockings, my budget is around $100ish dollars.

Does anyone have any idea of decent locking tuners that will retrofit into the slots where the winged tuners used to be? I've found gotoh sg360 HAPM that seem to fit the specs. Can't find them anywhere in chrome though.

Doing some measurements seems that the post height needs to around 22-23mm from back of headstock to tuner string hole to get the right break angle.

I'd prefer not to drill into the headstock if possible. Can't afford PRS lockings, my budget is around $100ish dollars.

I have a feeling winged tuners were not the last tuners on it.

As always, Hipshot ump open back locking tuner. It cost about $60 with the universal mount plate, and 18to1 ratio.

Back