Incoming - NPD

Love me some Frank...those who know, just get it. Quite the group of musicians.
Enjoy stompin'...

I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set...

Love me some Frank...those who know, just get it. Quite the group of musicians.
Enjoy stompin'...

I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set...

My old guitar teacher first introduced me to Frank with "Dancing Fool". I bought the 45 because he wanted me to try to learn things by ear. Flipped it over and played "Baby Snakes" a lot as well. But that's not when Frank really stuck for me. That took a few more years and a couple guys I worked with. If one of them walked into the break room and the other was there, they'd yell, "Blow it out your @ss, motorcycle man!" One of them is still my best friend and pretty constant concert companion. I asked him where it was from, and he told me it was Zappa. He recommended Zappa In New York, and Joe's Garage, so I bought 'em both. A couple songs on ZINY clicked - "T*tties And Beer" (the source of the above line), and especially "Big Leg Emma" and "Sofa". But Joe's Garage? Hook, line, and shrinker, to quote Thing-Fish. To this day, it may be my favorite Zappa album. Got to see Frank in 1984 and twice in 1988. And man, the list of musicians I've learned about through FZ - Terry Bozzio, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, among others, but most of all, Mike Keneally, who, if not the best musician I've ever met is definitely top two or three. And that's just the first level - when you take the people I've learned about from them, and the next level, and so on, that one stupid line has enriched my musical life to an incredible degree.

Back