Incoming NGD

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Sold my former Suhr Classic Pro 50s Tele, and now have this on order / soon-to-be shipped:

7.3 lbs. Tobacco Sunburst Satin Finish

Fvygfjy.jpg

p12IpCG.jpg

UPDATE: Received a message Tuesday (25th) evening that the guitar pictured above will ship possibly this Saturday or Monday of next week. The reason for the wait was because upon inspection of the guitar late last week, a faulty selector switch was detected, and required a replacement before shipment could occur. The message had said the retail store expected the part to arrive this Thursday (27th). Shipment would then occur after the repair had been completed and final inspection had been completed.

Very classy!

Thanks, CR,

The guitar is well worth waiting for. The retailer who sold it was extraordinarily polite and asked if I didn't mind the repair time wait, or he would refund my purchase price. The original timeframe was "a few days" to receive the correct replacement part (which became 11 days) because of an order question. But thankfully, the part arrives Thursday (27th). The retailer said they'd hop to it and repair the guitar right away. Am not sure if the guitar will ship Saturday or wait until Monday to ship, but this will be one of the few non-special-ordered guitars I've ever needed to wait more than 10 days for. Stoked!

Additional Update: Received the tracking confirmation message yesterday...Initial FedEx message said the carton would arrive Friday of next week...additional check by clicking on the tracking number took me to FedEx's site with updated info...carton is due this Wednesday. Nice surprise! Pics next week.

I'm huge Tele fan, and a bigger Suhr fan, so this must be a heck of a guitar. I hope you are happy with it when it arrives.

You know, I had originally purchased a Suhr Classic Pro 50s Tele a few years back. Thought it would be my main guitar for a while. It was. Then, when trying my S2 SC, the neck just felt better, a smaller profile that made it easier to grasp...and I realized that my Suhr no longer held sway as my main guitar. So, last month, sold the Suhr, and located a new S2 SC Satin McC Tobacco Burst.

Did I have some sour grapes about letting the other guitar go? Was I bitter? A bitter pill is sometimes hard to swallow, you know. Then I asked myself, what was wrong with this picture? Nothing. Except one can realize any complaint one has about their instruments does not mean they automatically "win" something of value. Issues with your instruments are like picture photographs...they document what you own, and provide you with a memory of the times you shared with it. If it's a good memory, you'd be thankful for owning that item. If it's a bad memory, do not expect others to commiserate with your complaint.

Yup. The Suhr was an awesome guitar for the time I owned it. I just felt that the S2 was slightly more suited to my needs because it felt better...and sometimes that's all one needs in life, to feel better with what they already have, or will soon own...

She's gonna sound sweet !

I'd like to say absolutely, though I need to watch my sweet tooth...!

FTR, I chanced upon a couple YouTube vids that describe getting the best jazz tone from a solid body guitar. According to the vid, there were 6 factors, 3 internal and 3 external. The 3 external ones were ones not intrinsic to the guitar build itself. The external ones included string gauge and construct, amp EQ settings, and one less important one.

Not inclined for changing string gauge, I moved on to amp settings. The vid suggested keeping the mids and treble flat at 12 noon, and increasing the bass to ¾ full setting. Surprisingly, this actually improved the overall string response (IMHO) because the tone had been slightly harsher at previous settings. The increased lower end doesn't make the tone all wooly or thumping. Just smoothes out the high end and adds lower end that is more synonymous with semi or hollow body jazz guitars.

Am thankful for that particular video, because it helped solve a tone issue that had been a source of consternation for quite a while regards my eclectic style of jazz playing (off-time and tempo at best, inept and clumsy at worst).

I think one of the significant factors in my instance is that you have to treat the instrument like a cranky baby, speak consolingly to it, with a soft touch, feeding it and nurturing it, despite your growing impatience with the infant.

And in truth, there will likely be a bonding time between infant and adult after the infant arrives home for the first time. Remind me to spend adequate time with the little bugger until the novelty wears off and the infant sits in its crib while "Dad" attends to everyday things.

I'd like to say absolutely, though I need to watch my sweet tooth...!

FTR, I chanced upon a couple YouTube vids that describe getting the best jazz tone from a solid body guitar. According to the vid, there were 6 factors, 3 internal and 3 external. The 3 external ones were ones not intrinsic to the guitar build itself. The external ones included string gauge and construct, amp EQ settings, and one less important one.

Not inclined for changing string gauge, I moved on to amp settings. The vid suggested keeping the mids and treble flat at 12 noon, and increasing the bass to ¾ full setting. Surprisingly, this actually improved the overall string response (IMHO) because the tone had been slightly harsher at previous settings. The increased lower end doesn't make the tone all wooly or thumping. Just smoothes out the high end and adds lower end that is more synonymous with semi or hollow body jazz guitars.

Am thankful for that particular video, because it helped solve a tone issue that had been a source of consternation for quite a while regards my eclectic style of jazz playing (off-time and tempo at best, inept and clumsy at worst).

I think one of the significant factors in my instance is that you have to treat the instrument like a cranky baby, speak consolingly to it, with a soft touch, feeding it and nurturing it, despite your growing impatience with the infant.

And in truth, there will likely be a bonding time between infant and adult after the infant arrives home for the first time. Remind me to spend adequate time with the little bugger until the novelty wears off and the infant sits in its crib while "Dad" attends to everyday things.
I just swapped out the tone cap for a .047 instead of the. 033 that came with it. Much jazzier!

I just swapped out the tone cap for a .047 instead of the. 033 that came with it. Much jazzier!

Thanks for your input...the video suggested just tweaking the amp's EQ so no alteration of the guitar is required. And so far, that seems to be a viable solution...no change of the the guitar's electronics is needed whatsoever. Also, tweaking the amp's EQ also lends itself to a variety of tones...I can now play "Brick House" by simply switching to the bridge pickup, tweaking my tone knob and pulling up on the coil-taps, whereas before, you had to arm-wrestle the guitar into submission before switching between jazz and funk.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input...the video suggested just tweaking the amp's EQ so no alteration of the guitar is required. And so far, that seems to be a viable solution...no change of the the guitar's electronics is needed whatsoever. Also, tweaking the amp's EQ also lends itself to a variety of tones...I can now play "Brick House" by simply switching to the bridge pickup, tweaking my tone knob and pulling up on the coil-taps, whereas before, you had to arm-wrestle the guitar into submission before switching between jazz and funk.
I wasn't suggesting that you HAD to swap the tone cap. I eq'd mine to a nice level, my tone preference is just a tad darker however.

I wasn't suggesting that you HAD to swap the tone cap. I eq'd mine to a nice level, my tone preference is just a tad darker however.

Understood. My feeling was to try to keep the guitar all original that might preserve its resale value. The amp EQ was one of the external factors the previously mentioned video spoke about that wouldn't change anything physically about the guitar.

Back