Incoming NGD

Shim,

Did the retailer foot the bill for the replacement pickup? If so, you did well. And congrats on learning the skills of a guitar tech. That is something I've personally aspired to, but have zero skills currently.

Ty,

The local guitar tech said it would likely be Friday before he'd put the guitar back together. Because of my schedule this week, it'll likely be Saturday when the guitar returns home...

(Just to note: The forum is returning some syntax posting errors that prevents me from quoting or replying to some folks posts directly. They may be editing their posts when I might be performing this task, but to let you know, some posts aren't quotable if perhaps you've got quoted images or emoticons embedded in your posts...)

Shim,

Did the retailer foot the bill for the replacement pickup? ...

Yes, no cost to me at all. I told them that I had repaired the original, but they didn't want me to send the replacement back, let me keep it for my troubles. :)

You might be right about the emoticons, I have had similar issues, and removed the emoticons from quoted posts and it seemed to clear the error.

That's good news. Only a handful of businesses were kind enough to allow me to keep products that they had inadvertently provided too many of (a box of pens or several boxes of amp pilot light bulbs) when a smaller number of items was originally ordered. Or sending a replacement item before discovering the previously ordered defective item was repairable at a small cost.

Amazon was one business with superior customer service (they sent out a replacement CabGrabber no charge in 2 days when one previously ordered locked up and wouldn't release and didn't require sending the defective one back). Sweetwater was another. There are several others, but can't remember exactly who they were...

Regards posting errors...I just avoid quoting posts that previously quoted others' posts and/or contain emoticons or images....just is too aggravating trying to post after the error pops up and deleting the suspect stuff doesn't work once you've clicked "Post Reply."

Yeah, weird stuff sometimes with replying to posts. A few times, I’ve been unable to add to my own post via the edit button, and it seemed to be certain words or phrases that I was using. After several attempts at changing my addition, it would work when I changed the message. Still not sure what in particular caused the error.

And the vendor on my SE Cu 24 was Sweetwater, they are just the best.

I hope it all works out for you on your guitar very soon, and I bet will be a killer player for you. I know the feeling(s) during the wait. The S2 line are awesome, I have 2 already, and one more ordered. :eek:

Yeah, weird stuff sometimes with replying to posts. A few times, I’ve been unable to add to my own post via the edit button, and it seemed to be certain words or phrases that I was using. After several attempts at changing my addition, it would work when I changed the message. Still not sure what in particular caused the error.

And the vendor on my SE Cu 24 was Sweetwater, they are just the best.

I hope it all works out for you on your guitar very soon, and I bet will be a killer player for you. I know the feeling(s) during the wait. The S2 line are awesome, I have 2 already, and one more ordered.

Yeah, concur with Sweetwater. Am biding my time today (making a batch of homemade baked beans), and the boss didn't schedule me this weekend. Will hopefully visit family (elderly Mom) and try to teach her about photo transfer from phone to computer back to phone/iPad again. (latter part involves check boxing in iTunes, of course). Wish me least amount of frustration, please...

I'm not so sure everything will go correctly regards the guitar, but at least I switched to decaf and am not too hyper about something that is old hat to guitar techs. My delayed gratification mode is enabled and as was said, am patiently waiting until Friday or Saturday for the tech's test results.

UPDATE / SOLUTION:

My local guitar tech in Collinsville discovered that the retailer's tech who performed the 3-way toggle replacement prior to shipping created faulty wiring with the 3-way selector.

Not sure of the exact details, except that the issue was a "bug" caused by soldering the wires without enough length remaining, or something of that nature.

The local tech's solution was to gut the existing wiring and replace it with PRS-specific 22-gauge standard wire and rewire the 3-way toggle.

I've yet to test the guitar for response and listen to it to hear full humbucker vs. coil-taps (which the local tech said he checked regards continuity).

Will do so after lunch.

I think this only accomplishes a fact that the local tech "did well" diagnosing the problem and listened to my concerns based on the symptoms of the "problem" originally.

Last edited:
Awesomeness! For a guitar that travelled from the midwest to Connecticut, was previously diagnosed with a broken 3-way toggle, replaced toggle, then faulty 3-way toggle wiring, replaced wiring, I think the effort was well worth the wait.

The highlights are the guitar's lightweight (7.3 lbs), and the set-up is perfect. No adjustments to the pickups necessary. My amp is dialed in for a jazz/blues/rock tone, and with a minor adjustment of volume of tone knobs, any of these genres is accessible.

I think all in all, I did well with this purchase. Will likely wait until later this year to have pro pics done of the guitar alone and in hand, and am happy to say the Collinsville tech did what was needed to repair the guitar.

Love a happy ending! That's awesome CandidPicker!

Yep, now the wait (that was described as the cold one & a snack from the fridge during the commercials) is now officially in the books. The Antique White may soon go in for a set-up and pickup height adjustment, because "Wabbit" is feeling envious of her new brother, dubbed "BBQ."

Well, an update to the story...

My amp tubes failed recently and required a tube replacement / bias. Also, my S2 SC Antique White needed a guitar set-up / intonation / pickup height adjustment.

With my boss not scheduling me for work this week (my annual 2 week vacation) and not being on the schedule, I had no work pay income this week. What to do? Determine just how to save money so that my amp could be re-tubed and my guitar repair work completed. My local tech said it would cost about $80 for a full set-up / intonation / height adjust.

Many thanks to the folks on this forum who provided from other posts YT vids and links to S2 repair work. What finally occurred was I thought to visit the PRS website support page for tips on string gauge, truss rod adjustments, bridge intonation, and pickup height adjustments.

What happened? Over last weekend, my amp tech replaced my amp tubes, I had extra preamp tubes leftover, and was able to DIY the guitar work myself in under just about an hour.

The result? My amp is working again and sounds awesome. The guitar is also better than before and back to factory spec. Very happy for the love showed on this forum by sharing knowledge that allowed me to repair my guitar and rebuild my amp so that it sounds wonderful at no significant expense or outlay of funds.

Back