Incoming NGD...Nitro, 57/08s & Hollow Birds, Oh my!? - She's HERE !

Just to tease you all. @alantig might have a clue as to what it is, she was sitting in Blawnox for about a week. I adopt her today. Pics and story later.
Hmm....1957/2008 limited? If so it’s gonna be a banger. It not it’s also gonna be a banger. Cos it sounds good!

Oooh - I haven't been there in a while, so I don't have a guess what it might be. But now I don't want to miss it!!!

Some of you may recall I had a Special Semi Hollow Custom 22 on order. Well, life's expenses and the thought of me, the lowly basement player, owning a guitar of that value lead me to cancel the order with my favorite shop.

As I was looking at the pics for their Black Friday sale, I spotted this lovely looking McCarty in the used department. They didn't have the specs or description posted till Friday night...it was then I knew I had to get this "affordable" to me axe. She's a near mint, 7 pound, 2008 nitro Smokeburst McCarty with 57/08 pickups. Looks like she was well loved (the hang tags were inside a mint looking PRS case). The excellent men at NStuff set it up nicely - it rings like a bell and vibrates through the body and neck. The mineral streaks in the maple are really cool, a nice touch of "character". Jason, the guitar manager at NStuff, told me he has the same exact McCarty and would NEVER part with it, it's his go to guitar.

Now I can't wait to get out of the office and home to plug her in. I've been a McCarty fan for several years, everyone I picked up and played just "felt right" and sounded perfect for my version of a dual 'bucker guitar. The wide fat neck on this one fits my hand like a glove and the frets seem a tad bigger than previous McCartys I've played. I owned a gold top DGT for a few years and while I thought it was the best made guitar I had ever owned, I really longed for a 'burst McCarty. So here she is gang...a few pics from my office:

bPBglvg.jpg

pFg56i9.jpg

Last edited:
That's the way you do it! Congrats!!!

I've taken Jason's word as gospel for a long time. He once watched me while I was checking out a Mark IV, then said something like, "It doesn't seem to be fitting you." I said it wasn't, and he said, "Can I show you something?" Budda SD-18, back in the pre-Peavey days. They were clearing it out. He played it for about a minute and I bought it. Didn't even play it myself. It's an amp that takes every guitar I plug into it and sounds great. FWIW, I did eventually trade other stuff in to get the Mark IV. It's nice, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my list and is likely to move out soon.

That's the way you do it! Congrats!!!

I've taken Jason's word as gospel for a long time. He once watched me while I was checking out a Mark IV, then said something like, "It doesn't seem to be fitting you." I said it wasn't, and he said, "Can I show you something?" Budda SD-18, back in the pre-Peavey days. They were clearing it out. He played it for about a minute and I bought it. Didn't even play it myself. It's an amp that takes every guitar I plug into it and sounds great. FWIW, I did eventually trade other stuff in to get the Mark IV. It's nice, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my list and is likely to move out soon.
Jason did me a solid a few years ago, I traded in a Hot Rod Deluxe (which I had swapped at least a half dozen speakers in and out of) that was bothering me with too much bass and just too loud, the volume jump was like a whisper to a scream. I was trying a Deluxe Reverb out and he said, give this Mesa Express a try...boom ! I bought the Mesa and it's been bulletproof and sounding great for 4 years now - all stock. I realize now, all five guitars at home are from NStuff. Those guys are top notch.

Jason did me a solid a few years ago, I traded in a Hot Rod Deluxe (which I had swapped at least a half dozen speakers in and out of) that was bothering me with too much bass and just too loud, the volume jump was like a whisper to a scream. I was trying a Deluxe Reverb out and he said, give this Mesa Express a try...boom ! I bought the Mesa and it's been bulletproof and sounding great for 4 years now - all stock. I realize now, all five guitars at home are from NStuff. Those guys are top notch.

Way back when, my guitar teacher said he went there. It took a few more years, but I finally got there. When they did their anniversary thing, I realized I'd started going there when they were only about 10-12 years old.

Way back when, my guitar teacher said he went there. It took a few more years, but I finally got there. When they did their anniversary thing, I realized I'd started going there when they were only about 10-12 years old.
My guitar teacher recommended them to my parents when I was looking for my first "good" guitar. I still have a 1980 Ovation Balladeer which was my first guitar from those guys (Jason's dad sold it to me), it was my 16th birthday gift.

Jason, the guitar manager at NStuff, told me he has the same exact McCarty and would NEVER part with it, it's his go to guitar.
If it’s a 1957/2008 limited McCarty, which it certainly looks like it is, I can see why. I also have the same exact guitar and the same exact sentiment.

Back