Incoming NGD: 1986 PRS Standard 24

I was promised pictures yesterday.

L33TiEO.jpg

Ask, and you shall receive. Knock, and the door shall be opened.

https://imgur.com/a/y8j3jvY

Last edited:
Be interested to hear your thoughts on it vs newer PRS.

I can sum it up in one word: honky. The bridge pickup (first position on the rotary) and the second position are really honky. As far as playability and staying in tune, it’s just as good as my new Artist Pack CU24.

When I say “honky,” I mean it has a mid range that is different than any of my other PRSi. I haven’t heard anything like it.

If you turn the sweet switch on, it sounds more like the new 85/15 pickups. If you leave it off, it’s honky.

Everything on the guitar works. Everything is still tight and snug. It’s been played the heck out of though. That just means it was a good one.

Last edited:
I can sum it up in one word: honky. The bridge pickup (first position on the rotary) and the second position are really honky. As far as playability and staying in tune, it’s just as good as my new Artist Pack CU24.

When I say “honky,” I mean it has a mid range that is different than any of my other PRSi. I haven’t heard anything like it.

If you turn the sweet switch on, it sounds more like the new 85/15 pickups. If you leave it off, it’s honky.

Everything on the guitar works. Everything is still tight and snug. It’s been played the heck out of though. That just means it was a good one.

“Honky Red” :D

Oh! Is honky good, bad or just different? The T&Bs are unusual pickups in that they have both feeder and slug magnets, which I think is one of the reasons they sound unlike most other pickups. Position two is 'power out of phase' assuming it's stock, which tends to be a 'hollow' sort of a sound. In an '86 guitar it should be both pickups together other out of phase. A bit later it changes to one coil of (from memory) the B pickup against both coils of the T out of phase. The power out of phase seems to vary a lot guitar to guitar. Ditto the sweet-switch. I've found the early guitars quite sensitive to the volume control position too - i.e. the sound changes a lot if you back the volume down a bit. Anyway I hope you like it:)

I don't know that I want a guitar from my Birth year - PRS certainly weren't around and I don't recall any manufacturers even looking at re-issues or making guitars inspired from this decade let alone my actual year. You get 58/59 Gibsons, 60's neck profile, even the Silver Sky Pick-ups are inspired by 64/65 strats but I can't think of any 'great' guitars that I would want. The 70's was when the Japanese copies seemed to flood the market - at least as far as I can tell - I was too young to know from experience.

I am happy with the more recent PRS guitars but my oldest guitar is currently a 1990's Washburn EA20WR (Electro Acoustic in Mahogany Wine Red burst). I did have a 70's Epiphone Les Paul Custom but my oldest electric now is a 2016 PRS 594. I guess if I had the opportunity to buy an 80's/90's PRS (especially their Dragon's with Dragon inlay on the neck) at a good price, I would...

Last edited:
I’m loving it. At first I missed the normal tone knob, but I’ve adjusted.

All:

I’ve always wanted a guitar built in my birth year, and I finally found one. A 1986 Standard 24 in Antique Cherry finish.

It has the T and B pickups, wing tuners, and sweet switch. I’ve never had a guitar with any of those. I’m excited to try it out!

Does anyone know what to check out on these older PRS Guitars? Is the finish nitro?

Any tips or tricks for the old school guitars are appreciated!

-Ryan
Ryan,

I live about 15 minutes from this shop and have played this guitar. It's a beaut. Great buy!

Back