In Praise Of The McCarty - "Classic" and "Reissue"

2016 McCarty 10-top, picked up at Experience earlier this year. Thanks to Brian for spotting this one for me! One of five PRSi in the stable, this is the best sounding, playing , and looking one I own. It's making the wait for a PS so much more tolerable!
IMG_7864_zpsvd8soo93.jpg

Delicious! Love the way that thing looks.

I have to first confess that I am a Gibson/Fender purist, with very desirable examples of both that are my main players. However, I recently bought an all-original '94 McCarty on a whim, and I simply can't put it down. I'm trying to not think of it as one of my "go to" guitars, but it keeps coming back in mind, and I have to go get it! Seriously...it has won me over.....everything from the versatility in tones, killer playability, comfort/ergonomics, LOVE the right amount of "heft" that she is (Whole Lotta Rosie LOL), and she's got the vintage vibe that (for some reason) I insist my guitars have?? Not sure if I need another one because this one is in great shape and is more than I expected (a lot more). So this McCarty has sooooo swung me in the PRS direction that I now have one of the John Mayer Super Eagle's on order. In short, I'm thrilled and I dig my "old" Black Cherry Flame McCarty.

Been seeing a lot of lovely McCartys on this thread, I had to post mine.

Couldn't agree more that the McCarty is one of the best playing guitars!

I thought about replacing the stock tail piece with a Mann bridge, I'm sure it's a worthy upgrade but I really can't justify spending the money when I'm looking to pick up another PRS. Stock tailpiece intonates perfectly and it has never given me any issues.

I did swap out the amber knobs for clear ones though, I think it works well with the chrome pickup covers and nickel (?) hardware. Weights perfectly at 7.6 lbs too--not too heavy, not too light.

Here is mine:

L1030409_zpst3qllmf6.jpg

L1030411_zpscunq2lnn.jpg

Hey sloanthbone,
Did you recently either purchase or sell that one-piece blue quilt number through Brian's Guitars?
I was seriously looking at that guitar. What kept me from buying it was the scale length, since I was looking at a 594. That is just a splendid looking guitar! You should be very happy.

If there was no 594 model, I probably would have bought that one.

I did purchase through Brian's. It was built by a forum member here and traded in. It gets to stay in the family here ;)

I have to first confess that I am a Gibson/Fender purist, with very desirable examples of both that are my main players. However, I recently bought an all-original '94 McCarty on a whim, and I simply can't put it down. I'm trying to not think of it as one of my "go to" guitars, but it keeps coming back in mind, and I have to go get it! Seriously...it has won me over.....everything from the versatility in tones, killer playability, comfort/ergonomics, LOVE the right amount of "heft" that she is (Whole Lotta Rosie LOL), and she's got the vintage vibe that (for some reason) I insist my guitars have?? Not sure if I need another one because this one is in great shape and is more than I expected (a lot more). So this McCarty has sooooo swung me in the PRS direction that I now have one of the John Mayer Super Eagle's on order. In short, I'm thrilled and I dig my "old" Black Cherry Flame McCarty.

That's a story often told around these parts! :D

Super congrats on the Super Eagle. Make sure you try out a 594 too!

I've owned probably more McCarty's than any other PRS model - although I don't own one at present.

I've owned a McCarty Hollowbody I:

HBI.JPG

Owned this purple McTrem twice:

purpmcty.jpg

Owned at least two in McBurst:

McBurstTremAngle2.JPG

And a couple of Red McCarty 24.5's:

Ted2.JPG

Left:

ScarletTrio.JPG

Nice stuff! Even if you don't have it any more!

Love my McCarty. It's got a very full, fat sound with a lot of honk in the midrange. Although my P245 tends to get the nod for balls out rock, I tend favour the McCarty any time I need to back things down a notch, or need a fat yet articulate lead.

I put new tubes in my amp today. All comments I've previously made about my McCarty having a honky midrange, being a bit too dark, and needing to switch to my 245 for balls out rock are now null and void.

And the threads asking about pickups.... no longer required. The response of the 58/15s are now tight, percussive and articulate.

I knew my tubes were getting worn, but didn't realize quite how bad they'd actually gotten.

I was very tempted by a Goldtop Mc 58 when I was shopping with Brian C
My Modern Eagle II covers my McCarty needs more than well enough :)
But they are nice

My 2010 Dallas Shootout McCarty which I've had for about 4 and half years now. My second PRS and my first core model (I started with a PS Leese Golden Eagle). This is such a wonderful and versatile instrument, and being a Gibson player primarily, seemed to have that vibe to it's sound, not withstanding the single vol/tone layout, but with the advantage of better ergonomics.

The 57/08's are a great PAF style pickup and with the coil split offers a wide range of tonal options. The guitar is a comfortable weight, especially compared to my Les Pauls on those rare occasions I go to jam nights, the wide fat neck a joy to play and I love the DGT sized frets on it. Along with my P22 and my favourite Les Paul, this is one of the three guitars I gravitate to the most.

Interestingly, even though it has the Kluson styled tuners it keeps in tune better than any of my Gibsons.

Back